Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Portland, OR, 7/20 - 7/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They aren't letting people just fill in to stranger's cars... they want drivers to control who gets in their ride.

I hope that wreck on 217 was a) unrelated to the test drives and b) not affecting the next runs.

Yeah, it was wild. It look liked it stretched up past Freddies... and then 15 minutes later it was gone. Google maps went back to being "green". I think it was meant to be... more hang time for us behind the wheel! ;)

Just to second what everyone else to drove today have been saying. I have been waiting to drive this car since I reserved in October. It's going to be a looooong 6 months waiting for delivery of my car. I also have to admit that I am one of the folks who got up to 70ish in the 15 behind the mall. I turned onto the road, we saw it was clear and the co-pilot told me to punch it again.

I'm going to have to get used to needing to warn my passengers before I punch the accelerator.

I also want to echo a previous comment about being 100% happy with what Tesla's put out with the Model S. While there is certainly room for improvement (interior storage, available tech, etc...) but it's an astounding job with their first vehicle produced from the ground up. I'm going to drive this car for years to come and be really happy about it.

Just to second what everyone else to drove today have been saying. I have been waiting to drive this car since I reserved in October. It's going to be a looooong 6 months waiting for delivery of my car. I also have to admit that I am one of the folks who got up to 70ish in the 15 behind the mall. I turned onto the road, we saw it was clear and the co-pilot told me to punch it again.

Haha, I did that also. I was in the first couple of drives Friday morning, and after doing my 70-ish sprint (followed by full-on stop which is impressive too) I noticed that Mall security followed us in and parked right across from the car. Wife and I quickly exited the car..... and heard the security guy saying "so.... is Tesla a new car company"? Not sure if he was simply curious or our copilot had to do some fancy talking.....

Nice.

Hey side note on pulling up to the Tesla tent at the end of the drive... as we were leaving for the day, a lady came in from her drive and proceeded to drive the rims right into the curb, and bounced the car off! OUCH!!! Well, they were new.

As she got out, it was like nothing happened. :-/

Last edited:
"No, we're a division of SpaceX. The wings will be an upgrade for the Model S in 2014."

In addition to Dennis' video, my youngest took a video from the center seat. Her angle was unique, being lower than the dashboard. She did a great job of capturing the display, and when I floored it getting on the highway, the acceleration caused her to pan upward, looking up and out the windshield. All you can see above the dash are clouds.

It looked as though Model S had just left the ground. :)

Just a note on the lacewood, I noticed that the lacewood in the Beta (that you photographed here) was much more spotty than the 'production' lacewood on the wall. I talked to a sales rep and he said that the lacewood on the wall is the 'correct' lacewood. I didn't really care for the lacewood here much when I saw it, but as it was on the wall, the pattern was so much more subtle and subdued that I was sold.

Had my test drive this morning. The car is fun to drive and felt a lot like my RX8 in responsiveness and cornering, which is impressive given the RX8 is 1500 pounds lighter. The RX8 has a crazy low center of gravity and the rotary is a very responsive engine, so the Model S didn't feel dramatically better as it might if you're used to a bigger sedan, but it was definitely a mark or two better in the various driving experience categories.

All the Tesla folks were great, their enthusiasm was infectious and impressive given they started the crazy Portland opening Thursday night and have been going ever since.

I'll be back again when they have permanent test drive cars so I can see how the non-Perf feels.

Guess the "Pics - Fit and Finish - Portland Get Amped Tour" got moved here. Well some of you wanted to see the Black Performance interior on the Red model. Here you go...

IMG_1345m.jpg

IMG_1348m.jpg

IMG_1346m.jpg

IMG_1347m.jpg

IMG_1349m.jpg

IMG_1380m.jpg

IMG_1364m.jpg

IMG_1365m.jpg

Inside trunk light, left side, casts light back in to car...
IMG_1353m.jpg

IMG_1366m.jpg

IMG_1372m.jpg

IMG_1378m.jpg

IMG_1371m.jpg

IMG_1369m.jpg

IMG_1370m.jpg

IMG_4212m.jpg

IMG_4213m.jpg

Dave, finally... punches it. (JK) Very different feeling sitting in the back vs. driver seat...
IMG_4207m.jpg

Guess the "Pics - Fit and Finish - Portland Get Amped Tour" got moved here. Well some of you wanted to see the Black Performance interior on the Red model. Here you go...

Great pics! Thanks for these. Any opinion on the black performance interior? In the photos, it looks a little charcoal-y to me, but that may just be lighting. The CF looks a lot more matte/muted than in the Roadster in these photos also.

Great pics! Thanks for these. Any opinion on the black performance interior? In the photos, it looks a little charcoal-y to me, but that may just be lighting. The CF looks a lot more matte/muted than in the Roadster in these photos also.

Yes, it's not black, but I'd say a very dark charcoal, would be accurate. It's nice. Some people love black interiors, and while I agree it can look rich/smart... I'm not a fan. Dark interiors heat up the cabin a ton, make the cabin feel smaller than it really is, and you lose detail. I much prefer light interiors for the all the exact opposites it brings out in the cabin.

I plan on getting a black S, with tan interior.

Yes, it's not black, but I'd say a very dark charcoal, would be accurate. It's nice. Some people love black interiors, and while I agree it can look rich/smart... I'm not a fan. Dark interiors heat up the cabin a ton, make the cabin feel smaller than it really is, and you lose detail. I much prefer light interiors for the all the exact opposites it brings out in the cabin.

I plan on getting a black S, with tan interior.

Good points on all counts. I've only had light interiors. For me, the difference here is that the interior of the car should be regulated because the car can be put "on" to cool the cabin any time, and there isn't much detail in S interiors to miss with the dark interior. With Sig red exterior, I just fell in love with the matching red piping, and think that the black offers a more "sporty" feel to the whole car. I may end up regretting all of this, but that's my compromise for getting earlier delivery on the car!

Thanks again for the pics. Strangely, the fact that it's a lighter black makes me feel a little better.

Good points on all counts. I've only had light interiors. For me, the difference here is that the interior of the car should be regulated because the car can be put "on" to cool the cabin any time, and there isn't much detail in S interiors to miss with the dark interior. With Sig red exterior, I just fell in love with the matching red piping, and think that the black offers a more "sporty" feel to the whole car. I may end up regretting all of this, but that's my compromise for getting earlier delivery on the car!

Thanks again for the pics. Strangely, the fact that it's a lighter black makes me feel a little better.

Yeah, and don't think my comment about not being a fan, is a rip on what Tesla has done. The quality is really good. It's just a personal preference thing.

Longest Test Drive in the Get Amped Tour...

I was back by the store today to get a ride with Dave (his turn to drive, mine was yesterday - we reciprocated), and while there the Tesla reps mentioned I got the longest test drive in the Get Amped Tour yet.

Here it is...
http://youtu.be/Px2OVJDajMQ

Note, my wife stopped filming for about 6 minutes during the stop and go portion of traffic, that and we thought we would be smart and reroute our trip, only to find road construction and more detours, so we finally turned around (I got to put it into reverse!), and then head back to the original course, The video is 21 minutes, total drive time was right at 27 minutes. I didn't mind one bit!! :)

Edit: Hmmm... not sure why, maybe because this is longer than the normal length cap YouTube sets for most people, but this video is hi-def, just not showing that option. Bummer. I'll have to see if I can get it to allow higher res viewing.

Last edited: