Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Scottsdale, AZ, 7/13 - 7/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from the test drive. I believe I was the 2nd person to test drive Model S in AZ! Anyway, there were only two Model S available for test drive (Grey Performance, and Silver non-Performance). I drove the silver one, but I wasn't given a chance to pick.

The route was pretty short, from the store, to Chapparal then to 101 South, then west on Indian School Rd and back to the store via Goldwater. Lot's of stop-and-go on the surface street, but you do have a chance to floor it on the ramp to 101. Whole thing probably last less than 10 minutes.

A regional manager from the store did mention they will be more test drives available in a couple of months for reservation holders, hopefully then a better route and longer drive is possible.

@johndoe74 - ... and what did you think of the vehicle? :)

I concur with the majority of the reviews here. Exterior 9/10, Driving Experience 9/10, Interior: 7/10.

10 minutes just doesn't give you lots of feedback. They need to find some winding roads so we can test the handling/cornering. Although I did a hard cornering at 35mph and there's no body rolls at all, thanks to the air suspension.

My wife has a Leaf, the S feels like a Leaf/BMW union. All the nice characteristics of electric driving from Leaf, and the driving experience/handling of a BMW.

I completed my test drive this morning too. I drove the same non-performance car. We had one of the 10 non-sunny days here in Scottsdale and it actually rained some. The auto wiper software might still need a little work as it was slow to respond but you can override it from the steering wheel.

The route was definitely too short with large parts in 30 and 40mph zones with a speed camera on one of the roads.

The car is very quiet and very smooth. I was expecting this but it was still stunning on how effortless the car behaves on the road. The accelerator will take a little getting used and I was probably not as smooth in my driving as I should have been. I doubt this will take any time to get used too. The accelerator control for going faster is very even, the regen will take a little bit longer to operate smoothly. I really don't see this as a problem and I like the one pedal driving.

The car performed well and accelerates quickly but not as briskly as I thought it would be. This was the non-performance version and it has enough power but I was expecting more. Too high of an expectation perhaps. It makes me wonder about the 40kWh version and if I will be happy with its performance.

Overall a very nice car to drive.
9/10 for the outside design (would have been 10 if they came up with a better solution for the nose cone)
8/10 for driving (not totally impressed with the power of the non-performance and little steering feel)
6/10 for the interior (no headroom in the back. The seats are well adjustable but not the most supportive. The doors are hard to get in/out of. There is no storage. I didn't see the screen adjust to the outside brightness. The fan speed seems to be one sub-menu away.)

This car did not have the pano roof. My rear passenger was 6ft and had to lean forward and had his knees close to/against my front seat. I had the seat all the way back and had to move it up a bit to give me leg support. There was plenty of headroom in front. I am 6'1 but have long legs.

I recorded the ride on video both from the windshield and from a handheld camera in the back. I will try to post these when I have time to put them together and size them down a bit.

EDIT: The two cars were VIN 107 and 112

A quick shot from my phone of the two test cars in Scottsdale the night before:
2012-07-12 19.20.38.jpg

And one of the store:
2012-07-12 18.16.42.jpg

I just got back from my test drive at the Scottsdale event. I got to drive the dark gray performance model with the pano roof. Just let me say that the car is awesome. It was actually better than I expected. Many of the things that the other have said are true regarding the incredible acceleration and road handling. This is definitely a big sedan. I’d say it is on par with the size of a Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series and the ride feels similar to those as well. My last 2 cars were a Mercedes SL-55 AMG and a Porsche 911. The Model S has more pin you in your seat acceleration than either with a much smoother refined feel. The sound it makes during this acceleration is strait out of sci-fi. Just the overall feel of the car is very solid. My drive lasted 20 minutes and my rep did a great job. We didn’t go on the 101 because it was packed due to traffic, but instead I did get to floor it a couple of times on a relatively empty Pima road. 0-60 in 4.4 is no joke! What is even more impressive is what happens when you floor it going at 40 - still pins you back - something that is hard to do in an ICE car.

Living in Arizona, the two concerns I had were of how powerful the electric AC would be and how hot the car would be with the pano roof. Although it was a somewhat overcast day in Phoenix, the temp was still in the low 100’s and the AC had no problem at all cooling the car. The glass roof is seriously tinted (my rep told me that it blocks 95% of the light coming through) and really was perfect. I don’t even think that I’ll need to use the shade even in daylight driving. So I’m not worried anymore about the car turning into a greenhouse in the sun.

I’ve read that others have been accidentally touching the cruise control lever instead of the turn signal lever, but this didn’t happen for me. In fact, the levers are exactly where they were in my Mercedes.
The only minor criticism would be that when you look over your right shoulder for a lane change, there is definitely a blind spot that is blocked by the rear pillar. Maybe in the future, they will put side cameras that automatically display in the touch screen when you have your turn signal on.

Some other facts that about the car that I learned is that Tesla is going to provide cellular access to the car for free for the first year. There was no specifics on pricing beyond the first year or which carrier they would be on. As far as charging, the car with the large battery will charge from complete depletion to full in 9.5 hours from a 240v 40 amp connection (dryer type connection). This is without the high power wall charger or the additional charger in the car. If you get the wall charger and the additional in-car charger, this time will drop to about 4.5 hours. There is no advantage to getting the additional in-car charger if your are not going to get the wall charger and if you do want the wall charger, it needs to be connected to a 100 amp circuit.

The hardest decision for me will be which color I get. I would recommend that everyone actually see the color samples in the showroom because the colors displayed on the website are less than accurate in real life. I was leaning toward the blue, but on seeing it in person, it seems a bit dark. I’m leaning towards the brown, but the dark gray was also beautiful. As others may have said, the darker performance wheels are actually the silver color underneath and may tend to show scratches more than the silver wheels.

I’ve driven many cars before, but overall, this is the best I’ve ever experienced. Today, I’ve seen the future of what cars can and should be.

To take some photos and post!

Can we give our fellow tesla enthusiast.
To take some photos
that really put these two cars in a good light.

In Los Angeles the gray car had dark wheels.
This is the combination I really wanted to see.
The gray color with the natural aluminum wheels.
And the silver car in the sunlight as well.

Thank you Tesla for changing the wheels on the gray car.
I want to fall in love with this combination.

I'm hoping you left the dark wheels on the other side.
So all of us could get a really great look at all the combinations.
Thank you to everyone on the forum as well
for helping share the experience with.

Some pictures, there are already tons of this car's pictures, so I won't post all of mine.

IMAG0467.jpg

The silver non-performance test drive car. It's parked at the valet area so lighting is not so good.

P1040917.JPG

The beta Signature Red inside the store. They have 2 betas in there, and may get production cars once the Amped tour is over.

From one of the photos above, it looks like both the silver and the Dolphin Grey cars are wearing silver 21" wheels. If somebody is able to get clear outdoor shots of these cars with these wheels, please post them! Both cars had the dark wheels in prior events, and it would be great to see them with the silver wheels.

Thanks!

Anybody have a guess what happened with the 50+ gap in VIN sequence numbers (between 49 and 107)?

5YJSA1AP7CFR00049 Release Candidate?, Black
5YJSA1AP6CFR00107 Performance version
5YJSA1AN1CFR00112 Release Candidate?, normal? - not performance

I presume roughly 10 might be in the test drive rotation somehow escaping photographs. Some of those are probably in the gap between 107 and 112.

But that leaves 40+ for... crash testing? Or maybe they're for the (reportedly) September store test drive allotments.