Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Seattle, 7/6 - 7/8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in Seattle, you seem to get more time in the car.

Seems to be, which is nice. Probably because they didn't have to cycle through so many folks in Seattle vs. Fremont or LA (even with less cars). Although I bet many would still give up 5 minutes of drive time to be able to punch it to 80.

Thanks for posting Francis. Even after my drive in LA, I don't tire watching these videos.

Seattle did not have any non-test drive cars to look at though, you had your time in the test drive and that was it... not a lot of time to really check out the touch screen, frunk, trunk, rear seat headroom (if you were driving), etc.

Lots of time inside sitting at a table with some snacks :)

Here were my raw thoughts (as told to several hundred of my closest facebook friends):

It was a relatively short drive on a specific course; unlike the other events which aimed for a route that had some freeway speed driving, we were limited by Aurora Ave., so I didn't get to really mash it.

Overall impression - this is a car that has stunning beauty on the outside (5/5), with an interior that competes well but feels a bit stark (4/5), performance that is incredible (5/5). 250+ miles is an incredible range for an all-electric car of this size, and proves that if you want to ditch the gasoline engine, you don't have to have a car that looks like an engineer picked up a large stuffed rat from the taxidermist to turn into a vehicle.

The upsides - This car is *very* quiet, virtually a roller coaster on acceleration (start at 7:30 in the video if you want to see my passenger's reaction :), it corners beautifully because of its low center of gravity, and it has a smooth ride that compares well to what you might consider competition in the high-end sedan market. The technology is a completely new model for operating a car, the 17" touchscreen controls everything. Seats are spacious and feel comfortable. Door handles are pretty damn neat. The rear-facing jump-seats are a great option and cargo storage is plentiful.

My downsides - small things, really... you'll notice that the user interface on the controls isn't quite perfected yet. If you touch a function, then change your mind and want to stop or change it quickly the interface gets a bit confused (see the second video where both the sunroof and the air ride changes don't feel perfect from a UI point of view... for example, it should block out your attempts to even touch a control if the car is doing something it doesn't want you to interrupt, instead it allows you to move the control then beeps at you). The visors and the attached mirrors feel like something out of my '65 GTO, they don't "feel" like they're part of a high-end vehicle; I can't put my fingers on exactly *why* and maybe it's just the size and shape. The stark space between the front seats is a missed opportunity, admittedly Tesla knows of it and has some options for us.

This won't be a winter car for me; despite the fact it's all-aluminum (no rust!) it is RWD and will have 21" tires and that won't work well in slippery snow. I will consider a set of 19" wheels to go with it for winter driving.

Overall, I loved the (short) test drive and I'm looking forward to delivery of my new Model S! September/October can't arrive soon enough.

Also, a comment on cornering. I did get a good turn or two but it felt nice and solid, no body roll just like everyone says - this was evident on the blind right onto Aurora the second time, but I admit I didn't get the chance to really give it a test, given the course.

Here is the first video. There will be a second video since the entire video exceeded the 15 minute limit. Second video is all about post-drive review of the 17-inch dash controls.

Worst. Route. Ever. Construction everywhere, 2 sections closed down to one lane with a flagger, pedestrian crosswalks everywhere, 40mph max.

If any Tesla employees, Seattle employees, anyone connected with this event, or George Blankenship are reading this:

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CHANGE THE SEATTLE ROUTE!!

It's the weekend - I5 has very little traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice set of videos.
Looks like the screen held up well in the bright light, especially when the sunroof was open.

Yes, this impressed me quite a bit. I've been the victim of my wife's iPad when I'm the driver and she's the passenger and was concerned the possibility of glare would be unbearable, but it seems they placed a lot of emphasis on making sure glare won't be an issue there.

Great photos and video

Thanks Francis, for the great photos and video! With this ride as passenger, did you notice things that you did not see when you did the Test Drive in Fremont? Pluses/minuses?

Saturday, 07/07, 2pm slot. I got there about 1pm (and had card #1 for that hour) so I had a long chat with one of the Tesla folks that witnessed the "incident". Apparently the driver of the white vehicle ("hitter") was somewhat ornery, hopping out of the car saying the brakes don't work. He was politely pulled aside by the engineers. They showed him a console with a bank of monitors, and walked him through second by second. Embarrassed, he got quiet. His female passenger (wife?) was whispering to him that he had messed up and he knew it and should shush. (Or something to that effect.) I asked the Tesla rep if he ever apologized or anything to the "hittee" but apparently not. Bad form. Anyway...

It's hard to have a bad ride on a sunny day in Seattle. My co-pilot was the same as in FlasherZ's drive. You could tell that she was a bit worn out from drama on Friday. One of her drivers took it to 80 mph on Aurora. Another curbed the performance wheels. So I took it easy on her and my passengers.

In short, none of the prior Amped reviews was an oversell. There weren't any surprises, and that's a good thing, as I've been keeping up on the forum. (Perhaps too much.)

One of the perspectives I took into account as I prepared for the drive was "find a reason to not spend the money." I.E., find something to quibble over. To nitpick. Like with the girlfriend you broke up with because she has bad taste in something irrelevant.

I didn't find anything to doubt the decision. Now I just have to line up the cash and muster the patience to wait until it arrives.

One thing I learned on the trip is that it seems to be happy with the various audio formats. See my notes in the Testing Audio thread.

Two things I learned after the trip, at the Bellevue store chatting with Lance.
(1) There's a direct line to get the current and best ETA (no sales oversell and no engineer undersell) on your vehicle -- 888-51TESLA. Apparently they're closed after 7pm Pacific though, at least on Saturday.
(2) Either this week or next week (I was distracted so I forgot which he said) a non-Founder Signature will be taking delivery in the Seattle area. I think he told me which neighborhood, but I don't remember it. He had specific details (and seemed excited), not some vague "they're coming" but a specific owner and vehicle in mind.

(2) Either this week or next week (I was distracted so I forgot which he said) a non-Founder Signature will be taking delivery in the Seattle area. I think he told me which neighborhood, but I don't remember it. He had specific details (and seemed excited), not some vague "they're coming" but a specific owner and vehicle in mind.

Bill Gates?

I too was told last week that the first Northwest delivery will happen this or next week.

Francis - Thanks for the excellent video and pics. I look forward to the Portland event, and will be much better prepared now. By the way, if you'd like to ride as the 'camera crew' in that event, I would be glad to have you....

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it because my wife and her aunt may be heading down to Portland for some shopping. However, I am not sure if I can take more Teslatic Acceleration Trauma :)