Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Washington D.C., 7/13 - 7/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove the green Model S today, early afternoon. I was first of my group, which stressed me a bit. Also, things were...okay, maybe not a little rushed, but I don't see how anyone has time to take video, explore all parts of the car, try 50 things on the screen, etc. It was like "okay so you're seated, all comfy/adjusted, let's pull forward now" etc. Maybe I'm just to passive and should've have said "woah can we look at X, Y, Z." But with the seemingly tight timetable for test drives, I kinda just followed orders. My bad, I guess?

Anyway, amusingly, my "handler" was the guy from the DC store that I'd seen there and talked with not long ago. So that was cool--very nice guy, very helpful. And the drive was great! More traffic than I'd've liked, though at one point early on he had me pause, waiting for a good time to punch it--but then a car came up behind, so we had to go. Still, I got to punch it and wow, it was like a rocket taking off. I had to ease up soon (damned early PM Friday traffic), but still, I got a good sense for the acceleration, and did get up to like 65-70 at least a few times I think (I forget! so much going on!).

The accelerator was firm; it took more pressure than I expected to push, but since you get all the power immediately, I can see why they didn't make it loose or easy/mushy--too easy to overdo it and hit something. ;-) And anyway, like I said, when I really pushed it, we took off like a shot! The drive was smooth and very quiet.

The regen was awesome. I drive a manual (stick), so the way it's been described and especially, how they talked about it just before the drive, I realized it would probably be easy to get used to. And it was!

The seatbelts in front were fine, but my other half said in the back seat belt sucked. It was awkward to put on and too tight/snug, any time I tapped the breaks it locked/tightened too much--over compensation. We talked to another Tesla person afterwards and she said the car she'd been in the back seat in was the opposite--too lose!--so I suspect they're still tweaking this. Or is there a setting for it?!

He liked the center armrest/cupholder/cubby (not sure if he opened it). Again, I felt like I didn't have any time to look at things like that--plus I forgot till we were out and another guy getting in, sigh--so I didn't see it.

The shelf under the 17" screen was great. I'm not sure it's quite tall enough, but it looked deep. I wish I'd measured it; I'm curious how it compares to my current car. Anyway, anything in there won't be seen unless it's really sticking out; it's very low and I couldn't see much as the driver! So it's IMHO perfect. Oh and I think mine had the rubberized? plastic-lined? open space between front seats--I forget, sorry. Too little time to really look at the car! On the plus side, the guy said the DC store would have a car for test drives...next month? September? I forget, sorry. My memory bites and this is over 8 hours later, and I had my b'day dinner between then and now. :-D

I liked the MPH/predicted/rated miles display, though the watts used on the right or whatever was confusing/useless to me. I didn't really look at much on the big screen, too busy with the drive, but at one point when I asked about the map, which looked kinda cool, he flipped it so the map was top (before, music controls or something were on top?) which was nifty. I like that kind of flexibility/customization.

Rear window visibility was poor, sad to say, but I'm going with the pano roof and he said that'd help a little. I'm bummed they didn't design the layout/back a little better with that in mind. Yeah the tech pkg has a backup cam, right? But I was trying to avoid that $$$ pkg, seemed like a lot of money for things I don't need. (Plus looking down to look back is confusing to my brain. ;-)

Lessee...side lights that my other half noticed on another car before? after? the drive, that light up when turn signals are on, I think, but it's the Tesla logo--kinda cute/cool sounding. I didn't see it. Anyway, apparently this kinda thing is required in Europe, but not in the USA, so they're doing it across the board to keep things simple. That makes sense, and I've seen (less cool looking) things like that on some US cars but the guy told me they do that for the same reason, doing the same car in the USA and Europe.

Anyway, overall, great experience, enjoyed the ride a lot, sorry my # is so high I won't see the car for almost a year (maybe). Every one was very nice and friendly, but in a down-to-earth way, mostly. All very young! ;-)

Sorry to ramble and thanks for reading me. Party: on!

Thanks for the review, Kendall. Just wanted to note: there's a backup camera standard; with the tech package, it's just that it's in HD.

Any impressions on the green exterior? I'm looking for some positive reinforcement that I'm picking a good-looking color ;)

Happy B'day!

I think that's pretty much everybody (at least it was me)--until they drive an EV for a while.

This. The 911 was sweet when I had it, but looking back now, I don't miss it. I've come to associate the noise that I once thought as wonderful as just an embarrassing sign of gross inefficiency. Manual transmissions (I would never own an automatic!) are just covering up for ICE defects. And once you get used to the very low latency on the go pedal from standstill to full torque in an EV, performance ICE cars will become needless drama queens in the rearview mirror.

Thanks for the review, Kendall. Just wanted to note: there's a backup camera standard; with the tech package, it's just that it's in HD.

Whoops, my bad. Thanks, I'd misremembered that; it didn't come up (didn't see it in action). Now I regret not pushing to see more/taking more time. Gah, I'm a wimp. Oh well, I have lots of time, unlike some. ;-)

Any impressions on the green exterior? I'm looking for some positive reinforcement that I'm picking a good-looking color ;)

Oh yeah I forgot to ramble about colour! Okay I didn't get a close look at others, sorry, but the green of course, I did look at. My Miata's green, but a bit...not quite brighter, but more...sparkly? More green? Dunno how to describe it. So I found Tesla's less interesting, a bit flat. But maybe I'm just so used to mine--my other half likes the Tesla green better and admitted he doesn't really care a lot for my Miata's green. So...one pro, one con? It wasn't bad IMHO, just not really my style/not as metallic as I thought it'd be maybe? But he liked it so you may!

I'm not into brown but really like how the brown sample pieces look--tempted by that, the blue, and the dark grey (the latter got a thumbs down from my other half). But I only really looked in person at the one I drove, green.

Happy B'day!

Thanks! :-D Surprise hibachi restaurant get-together with 6 good friends + chocolate cake. Oink. Great!

I went for my ride today (Friday) at Noon.
I'm really torn on the color I want.
Down to Black, Blue or Pearl White.
However, they didn't have Black or Blue here today, so really bummed over that.
Surprisingly, of the colors they did have today, I found the Green car to be a knockout!
From all the pics I've seen and from the design studio I would never have dreamed that the Green would be so nice.
My standard for paint colors is still the Jaguars. To me they are so incredibly rich, classy, deep and creamy that they just exude elegance.
They are pretty much the only cars that seem to consistently make me stop and go "wow".
The Green today struck me that way.

Music to my ears! Thanks, teslasguy! :)

The only things I wrote down from the mini-"class" they did before the drive:

1. Don't press the brake when first getting in the car (this was so they could talk you through/show you what happened, though I don't remember the deets now)

2. Down is Drive, Up is Reverse, and push in is Neutral (for the "shifter" stalk); I only ever used Drive, but at the end, it was "press brake down, then push in on the stalk for park" which was simple but kinda felt like "that's it???" ;-)....

Could someone at the test drive please take a picture of the open glove box of a production car and post it? We are trying to determine whether there is a gap between the glove box door and compartment like on the betas that stuff could fall to the floor through when the door is open. Have fun at the test drive!

No, there's not a meaningful gap when it's open. The door does swing down so that you see some of the leather that's below the glove box, but it swings very close to that leather. I couldn't even fit my finger into the space.

IMG_0105.JPG

There's definitely not lots of storage in the glove box, though. You can fit an iPad in, as I noted in another thread. But it's really not a lot of space. For those hoping that they can put all their bric-a-brac in the glove box in lieu of other in-cabin storage, I'm not sure it will really fit all that much. I think you could put a pair of gloves, a pair of sunglasses in their case, some tissues, necessary paperwork, and maybe one or two other small items like a tube of sunscreen or a hand sanitizer. But, because the compartment is low, shallow, deep, and shielded by the overhanging dash, it's not going to be very easy to find that crap. I might use something like one of these, come to think of it. It'd be easier to keep the glove box organized and you could just pull the whole thing out to retrieve something you needed:
216_xlarge.jpg

(Cocoon CPG8 - Cocoon)

At least I don't think we'll have a paper manual to carry, since it's available on the display.

Last edited:
Thanks tremendously MikeK! I asked you about the glove box on the Opportunity Console thread after I read your last post saying you tried to get an iPad in it. People might be very interested if you posted this over there too since storage space is part of the Opportunity Console issue. The limited size of the glove box makes coming up with other storage space even more important. This is very significant information IMO.

I just remembered another important tidbit from my test drive Friday.
I drove the Pearl White performance car and one of my rear seat passengers had a lot of trouble with his seat belt.
I've seen others report similar problems.
When extending it suddenly locked and he couldn't get it to release.
He let it retract all the way and still wouldn't release.
It finally let go and let him extend it, but for no apparent reason.

After my test drive I then rode along as a rear seat passenger in a standard version.
I had the same experience. After extending about 80% of the way I needed the belt suddenly locked.
I let it retract all the way, jiggled it, etc.
Nothing worked, but suddenly after 3 or 4 minutes it suddenly released on its own.
Not sure what's going on here, but definitely looks like they have a problem that needs to be addressed with these rear seat belts.
Also, while it's hard to precisely describe why, I just did not like how the rear seat belts felt or looked.
All I can say is they felt cheap, old and out of place for this car. Really like something out of a 30 year old car.

Another interesting tidbit from my Friday test drive.
At one point a car (I think it was the brown car) was sitting with the rear hatch open and when I looked inside, the top back of the rear seat looked like someone had sprayed the top band of light colored leather with a bleach agent.
It's a bit hard to describe, but across the top rear of the rear seats there is a band of leather (I think it's leather) that goes the entire width of the seats and is maybe 5 or 6 inches top to bottom.
In this car it was tan interior I think. Anyway, the entire band looked like either bleach had gotten on it and so it was really mottled looking, or else it had severely faded for some reason.
The effect was not even. As your eyes scanned the width of the band some of the material looked normal and then some looked completely faded or bleached out.
I took a picture of it (attached) because it was so obvious I thought you could easily see it.
However, for some reason it didn't show up at all in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    841.6 KB · Views: 109
I have seen the light. I was pretty sure I would, but yesterday I got Amped in D.C. and all was confirmed.

Many of those who have written reviews are used to driving performance cars. I will preface my review by saying that I'm not "used" to driving a performance car. I've driven a Saturn or Toyota Corolla for the last 12 years...but I have driven a BMW 5-series (not an M) and ridden in a few performance cars that were being pushed close to their limits in the past, so keep that in mind when reading this. I have a mechanical engineering background.

So here goes:
The test drive experience was fine overall, although it felt a bit rushed. If my review seems a bit vague and lacking in detail, it's because I was trying to take so much in in a short time. Others have said the same and I can't blame that on Tesla given how many people they're trying to put behind the wheel in such a short time. The route had a combination of surface streets, a railroad crossing, several on-ramps (including a long, circular sweeping on-ramp), and a few stints on the highway--a good variety.

I drove the white performance: 21" performance wheels, black leather, carbon fiber, premium sound, pano. Wished I'd driven the non-perf as that's what I'll be getting, but I'm told they feel similar.

Entry to the car: this was absolutely effortless. Climb in, buckle up, hold the brake and flick the shifter lever down, then you're good to go. I saw one driver testing the car's auto-on/off by simply getting out of the car--pretty cool.

Didn't get a chance to test the door handles (swarm of people around the car and they open/close the door for you).

Cockpit experience: I adjusted the seats some (didn't touch the steering wheel and found it to be perfectly comfortable. I would need more time in the seat to notice any comfort issues. The lack of an adjustable headrest was a complete non-issue (I don't know anyone who rests their head on the headrest when driving anyway!) As some have said, a little bit of additional side bolstering would be nice for the tight turns, but it wasn't a big issue for me. Visibility through the rear view window was a bit limited, but the backup camera makes up for most of that (it's worth it for that low drag coefficient). It wasn't clear skies, but visibility of the touchscreen was no problem. Armrests were comfortable.

Starting the drive: I'd been on a ride in the Roadster before, but pulling out of the corral was absolutely eye-opening. The silence, the complete lack of vibration, and the feeling of having precise control over your speed was absolutely awesome.

At the first stop sign I hit the cruise control stalk, even though I'd warned myself beforehand about its location. Wasn't a problem though--I adjusted and the turn signal stalk position felt natural after that.

We hit the surface streets, and went over some railroad tracks. The ride was of course better than my other cars, and quite smooth--especially over railroad tracks--but I don't have the background to say how well the air suspension compares to other premium cars in its class.

I will say that on surface streets turns felt very planted.

Acceleration: Holy shizzle. Let me say that again. Holy shizzle. I have never felt anything quite like it in a car, except for the ride I once took in the Roadster. I used to fly jets in the Air Force, and I would compare it to the thrust you get when jet engines have spooled up and you're generating maximum thrust, only without the noise and vibration. (Regular airliners don't provide an equivalent feeling of acceleration). Absolutely flawless. As we got on the entrance ramp I floored it (from about 5 mph) and it was a smooth continuous pull all the way up to 75 mph. On one entrance ramp I was going slow to allow space ahead of me, and a car pulled up behind us. I waited just until I thought they might be getting irritated, then floored it. The car behind me silently shrunk into the distance--THAT was an awesome feeling. The idea of having incredible acceleration without the obnoxious or showy sound of tires squealing or engines roaring through the gears was priceless (or at least worth about $100k!) I'm going to absolutely LOVE leaving cars in my silent dust!

Steering: I found the "comfort steering" to be a bit loose as others have found, but I think that's the purpose...it's hard with such a short drive to draw any conclusions. It's useful I'm sure for long highway drives to reduce fatigue when lots of turning is unnecessary. I was pleased with both the sport and regular settings for typical driving. Yes, maybe you don't feel as many of the bumps in the road, but I don't I miss them.

Handling: I took the circular on-ramp at 50 mph. You can tell it's a big car, but there was very little body roll, and the car felt very planted. I could've been much more aggressive. Handling felt great.

Cockpit at speed: the cockpit at speed was very quiet, calming, smooth, and comfortable. I suspect this will reduce fatigue on longer driving trips. I heard no creaking, vibration, or anything indicating anything other than a solidly built interior.

Sound system: the car allegedly had the premium sound system. It was plenty loud (didn't want to crank it up all the way!), but bass response was a little light. HOWEVER, I didn't get a chance to fiddle with the EQ so this very well could have just been the equalizer setting. The song playing didn't have a lot of bass anyway. I'll need to experince the sound system more to see if the sound studio package is worth it.

Regen: absolutely LOVED the regen. I'm used to driving a stick so it was completely natural to me--only took a minute or two of driving to feel comfortable with it. That will definitely be a leg saver in traffic, and a brake saver at all times! Not having to move your foot to the brake all the time was a bit unnerving at first, but I quickly got used to it. I loved it from the start. I noticed that as the car got really slow (below 10mph) the braking effect of the regen seemed to diminish almost to the point where I had to touch the brakes at the very end...but again, 10 minutes in the car with a lot to take in--maybe I was imagining it.

Creep: I'm pretty sure that anything that felt like creep was just rolling downhill, so I think there's no creep at all..but I could be wrong. It very much felt like a manual tranny.

Starting/stopping: starting from a stop was an absolute dream...nothing more to say about it. Just unreal. The magnetically launched theme park ride is a perfect analogy. As for stopping, when static friction kicked in and the car completely stopped there was a little more fore/aft body roll than I was expecting...but I don't have enough experience in high-end cars to really base this off of to determine whether it was better than competitors or not. Maybe I just hit the brakes too hard.

Touchscreen: I didn't use the touchscreen at all (they recommended we focus on the driving...probably for good reason). I found it very easy to see, it worked flawlessly, and was responsive based on watching my copilot use it. Unfortunately I don't have much else to share on it.

The looks: The car was definitely getting looks. There was a cabbie who stopped and was just staring at the car--actually blocking our way! This car always looks better in person than in pictures.

At the end of the drive I had a big Tesla grin. I was thinking "I'll take three". If only I could afford to buy three. When the general population starts riding these, I think they'll see the light too.

Great review. It's looking more and more like Tesla hit a home run with the Model S. We'll see of course after a long term ownership report and if there are any major bugs but looking good so far.

Thanks...a few more tidbits to add:

My wife sat in the back and had no issues with the seatbelt. Maybe those reporting issues are just seeing an issue due to early production in a few cars. It'll very likely be fixed soon if not already. Wife also really loved the pano roof, as did I.

I explicitly took about 10 seconds to examine gap and flush on the back left side of the white performance in the hatch area (that we saw as an issue in Fremont). Keep in mind my profession involves precision measurement and quality control for aircraft/automobiles, etc... so this is right up my alley. I didn't notice any issues. Either the white didn't have the issue, or it's been corrected. I'm highly confident Tesla will have those issues straightened out.

I noticed one of the door handles (back right side) of one of the cars seemed to be stopped in a partially extended position. Perhaps another early build issue?

As I was driving to the hotel after my drive (coincidentally it was exactly the same as the test drive route!) the sunset red Model S was two cars behind us. I made the observation that the Model S looks wicked cool in the rear view mirror, although I'm mostly in love with the view of the S from the back.

Colors: the silver almost looks white in some light. Not a bad color, but not my cup of tea. My wife liked the green (this one's for you GG!) but as others have said it looks almost black in some light. Not a bad color at all, but wasn't my cup of tea (maybe because I've been driving a green car for the last 10 years). Sunset red looked good...really pops. The pictures online didn't do it justice. I really like the white, but my wife doesn't like the idea of another white car in the family.

I haven't seen the dolphin gray in person, but I think we've made up our mind on that color.

The Model S was SUPER FUN to drive, and I didn't even touch the touchscreen. That bodes well for the success for this car :).

I loved the speedo and regen readout integrated into it. Super cool.

I talked to the copilot who was sitting in the car with the driver who had the accident in Fremont. He said the guy was really nice, but the main issue was that he was so excited about the car and was so eager and "in a hurry" about everything that he just pushed a little too hard on the accelerator. He confirmed that despite a hit at pretty good speeds, there was very little damage. In fact, I think the offending car is the one I drove.

Pearl White performance with the performance wheels would look awesome in my opinion but I think the Model S will be like the Roadster and look good in almost any color.
Any problems with the sun bothering you through the Pano roof or did you have the sunshade?

Last edited:
Pearl White performance with the performance wheels would look awesome in my opinion but I think the Model S will like the Roadster and look good in almost any color.
Any problems with the sun bothering you through the Pano roof or did you have the sunshade?

No sunshade. I don't think it's needed. At all. Tesla, if you're listening, I'm ok if you drop the sunshade. And I live in a pretty hot part of Virginia.

I drove half the course with the pano closed, and half with it open. My wife was in charge of gathering opinion on the pano. It was not baking us, and was tinted dark enough to prevent sun glare. She said with it open, airflow was great. Not overwhelming like having an open window. It opened and closed smoothly and solidly. No excessive cockpit noise with it open. Very happy with it.