Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get an EV to hold me over until M3 arrives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omar10r1,

It sounds like you might have a 1-car household. If so, I would also recommend a used Volt. I had a 2011 Volt, and traded it in for a 2014 Volt. They both have been great cars, and I loved every minute of the experience. The main differences in the Volt's model years are:

2011-12: 35 electric miles (EPA), 16 kWh; keyless entry added in 2012 (little silver button on door handles to unlock)
2013-14: 38 electric miles (EPA), 16.5 kWh; forward collision warning, lane departure warning options added
2015: 38 mile rating unchanged, 17.3 kWh

If you have a multi-car household then I would checkout the charging options for your 100 mile trips on Plugshare.com. A used Leaf may be an option. Be sure to check the battery capacity reading on the dash, and don't buy one from a hot climate area, like Phoenix or Texas. The Leaf's lack of battery cooling is not good in hot climates.

Good Luck,

GSP

Reactions: Genshi
Hate to sound rude but I'm at around 110k global list and pre-ordered just before reveal and I would be really disappointed if Tesla decides that those ordering now in the US should get their cars before those of us overseas who ordered pre-reveal. We will be waiting forever if that happens because I expect another flood of orders after reveal 2 event and going by that logic they will all be jumping the queue big time.

Hmm not good, not good at all.
It really depends... because delivery order globally was never due to reservation time only regional delivery order. Elon has tweeted that they will try to maximize US tax credits.
In addition, deliveries to the UK will probably have a right hand wheel and anything else the UK regulations require, meaning they'd have to change the manufacturing line for a batch to Europe...err the UK [Brexit].

On the other hand deliveries to the US and even Canada will use the same design. The same logic AFAIK has followed in both the Model S and Model X launches. UK deliveries were after Canada, which was after the US.

Not to worry though, if the manufacturing line(s) can really ramp up production, then you'd be delayed only a few months. You'd still make a 2018 delivery.

If there was a ton of planning though, and it was super easy to switch designs, then there could be small batches earlier for the UK and Europe but this is inefficient. What it does mean though, is that you'll probably get a better model with all the manufacturing kinks worked out.

• Informative
Reactions: YBT and Jayc
Omar10r1,

It sounds like you might have a 1-car household. If so, I would also recommend a used Volt. I had a 2011 Volt, and traded it in for a 2014 Volt. They both have been great cars, and I loved every minute of the experience. The main differences in the Volt's model years are:

2011-12: 35 electric miles (EPA), 16 kWh; keyless entry added in 2012 (little silver button on door handles to unlock)
2013-14: 38 electric miles (EPA), 16.5 kWh; forward collision warning, lane departure warning options added
2015: 38 mile rating unchanged, 17.3 kWh

If you have a multi-car household then I would checkout the charging options for your 100 mile trips on Plugshare.com. A used Leaf may be an option. Be sure to check the battery capacity reading on the dash, and don't buy one from a hot climate area, like Phoenix or Texas. The Leaf's lack of battery cooling is not good in hot climates.

Good Luck,

GSP

Thanks GSP! I was actually trying to look up the difference between models of the Volt, so this is helpful. We are a two car household, my 2004 Sante Fe clunker, and a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Would you consider South Carolina a hot climate?

I grew up in Orlando, FL and have lived in Greenville for 9 years or so (awesome city BTW). It is hot here, but Orlando is a different breed of hot! I don't think Greenville can hold a candle to Arizona or Texas either. :)

In the end, I'm just wondering if a used LEAF battery is something that will hold up here in SC. At least for a few years until my M3 comes in!

Thanks everyone! I've been reading all of your responses, thinking really hard, shopping around, calling a few local (and not so-local) dealerships today, and I'm now leaning in the direction of just grinning and bearing it with my Hyundai and hoping it survives a couple hundred more 6-mile commutes. :) It seems like the lowest risk proposition with the highest upside. Both of our family cars are paid off now, and I think it's most prudent, albeit not as fun, to save and really throw some money at the M3.

The risk here obviously being if my Hyundai requires some very expensive repairs in the interim, I'll end up with having to get a bridge car anyway, bike to work (entirely possible), or try out being a one car (van) family temporarily.

It's comforting knowing that there are cheap Leafs (cir. $10k) and some Volts ($16-18k) nearby if something comes up though and I can probably trade in those in for $3-5k in late 2018 based on current KBB estimates.

Reactions: S'toon and garsh
Thanks GSP! I was actually trying to look up the difference between models of the Volt, so this is helpful. We are a two car household, my 2004 Sante Fe clunker, and a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Would you consider South Carolina a hot climate?

From what I hear about the Leaf battery, it has to be really hot to cause rapid degradation. I think that South Carolina will be OK for a Leaf. It will gradually lose range with age and mileage however, more so than a car with a cooled battery like the Volt, so plan for that.

I certainly love driving the Volt, and the freedom to take it anywhere at the drop of a hat. I highly recommend it to people with similar wants and needs.

However with used Leaf costing $8k less than a Volt, that leaves more to spend on the Model 3. No oil change every two years, like the Volt requires. I would checkout your local Chademo fast chargers, and L2 charging options on plugshare. Consider getting the Leaf and start driving electric now, while waiting for your M3. Life is short, and the wait could be longer than expected.

GSP

Nice to hear of someone in a similar boat, glenhurst.

So, hypothetical, if your old car dies and you buy a Leaf will you then trade-in the Leaf when your 3's arrive?

Probably. Many people complain about the Leaf being ugly, but I like it. But I have more faith in Tesla to push the EV envelope, and I think it needs a lot of pushing. I'm delighted in how Nissan has expanded the battery by ~40% over the past four years. But Tesla has raised the bar and the Leaf hasn't kept up.

I don't like the Volt: feels too cramped inside, but that's just me. However, I agree with everyone here that if that 150 mile trip to Atlanta is a significant factor, I recommend the Volt. OTOH, if Atlanta isn't a big deal (e.g., you use your ICE for those rare occasions), the Leaf is hard to beat and half the price of the Volt. Yes, there won't be much residual value left in it esp. when the M3 and the Chevy Bolt start shipping. But I never worry about that because I tend to drive my cars until they drop.

Alright folks...a new wrinkle. The death of my Hyundai seems to have been accelerated. This morning it decided not to start and it sounds like the transmission is out. (It's almost like it saw me make my Model 3 reservation and knew it was time....).

So, it looks like a new car is imminent depending I have to dump significant $$$ into a repair (despite my earlier comment, 2 years of biking to work with no other means of transport is not attractive). I'm thinking a local 2012 Leaf @ $10k is the way to go. I can use my wife's ICE minivan for any long trips, there are a lot of charging stations at my university job, and I can probably pay it off pretty quickly allowing for maximum savings for my M3 when compared to a Volt.

I might need to start a new thread but my question now is that I've been thinking of getting a savings account through a credit union soon then applying for my M3 loan from them for quite sometime. Now it looks like I'll be doing both at the same time.

I've read some good reviews on Alliant from Tesla owners, their online presence is attractive to me, and their rates seem competitive with other credit unions that I can join....anyone here a member?

Alright folks...a new wrinkle. The death of my Hyundai seems to have been accelerated. This morning it decided not to start and it sounds like the transmission is out. (It's almost like it saw me make my Model 3 reservation and knew it was time....).

So, it looks like a new car is imminent depending I have to dump significant $$$ into a repair (despite my earlier comment, 2 years of biking to work with no other means of transport is not attractive). I'm thinking a local 2012 Leaf @ $10k is the way to go. I can use my wife's ICE minivan for any long trips, there are a lot of charging stations at my university job, and I can probably pay it off pretty quickly allowing for maximum savings for my M3 when compared to a Volt.

I might need to start a new thread but my question now is that I've been thinking of getting a savings account through a credit union soon then applying for my M3 loan from them for quite sometime. Now it looks like I'll be doing both at the same time.

I've read some good reviews on Alliant from Tesla owners, their online presence is attractive to me, and their rates seem competitive with other credit unions that I can join....anyone here a member?
If $10k is a reasonable price on your salary for a car you intend to keep for two years, then by all means. There's no way I could swing that with the options I want to be able to afford on the Model 3.

I'd be looking for a < ~$4000 old prius or some other fairly reliable older car. A leaf would be fun though.

A left field suggestion; A Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. It would cover your commute in pure EV, and then you could sell your ICE van when your Model 3 becomes available.

Not the sexy choice, but it would provide a lot of flexibility as to when the Model 3 will arrive. You would also end up with a really low gas usage in the end.

A left field suggestion; A Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. It would cover your commute in pure EV, and then you could sell your ICE van when your Model 3 becomes available.

Not the sexy choice, but it would provide a lot of flexibility as to when the Model 3 will arrive. You would also end up with a really low gas usage in the end.

You had me excited for a second....best I can tell, the 2017 Pacifica PHEV isn't out yet correct? If it is, I'm not seeing it. This would make my wife very happy, she wants a minivan with lots of features, and both of us having an EV/PHEV would be attractive as well.

However, I'm not sure if how long I can wait if my car is dead now. I'll know more on the front soon.

This may be a wacky idea, but what about taking out a loan for a used Model S that you would sell when you get your Model 3? Would the S hold it's value enough that you'd lose less money than buying an selling a used Leaf? Would getting a CPO Model S move you up in line for getting your Model 3 earlier. Just a thought.

You had me excited for a second....best I can tell, the 2017 Pacifica PHEV isn't out yet correct? If it is, I'm not seeing it. This would make my wife very happy, she wants a minivan with lots of features, and both of us having an EV/PHEV would be attractive as well.

However, I'm not sure if how long I can wait if my car is dead now. I'll know more on the front soon.

Its suppose to be in showrooms any-day now, if it worked for you, I would phone a dealer and see when they are coming in.

... My college commute is 6 miles, but I do travel here and there for performances. I need a little bit of storage space (which knocks out the SmartCar) and, at the least, the ability to get to the closest airports relatively stress-free, the farthest being ATL at 150+ miles.....
Sorry to hear about the rapidly accelerating car problems. I looked at Greenville, SC on Plugshare and you have LOTS of good choices for charging stations (including downtown, airport, universities) so you can easily get around with a used Leaf. The biggest difficulty would be driving to Atlanta, which "should" be possible using highway 29 and charging in Anderson and Athens. Since you have charging at work, you will be able to drive the most degraded Leaf for at least another 10 years and skip the M3 (probably not what you want to hear). If cost is the biggest driver, then go with the oldest (although the 2011-2012 Leaf is known to have heat-related battery degradation problems), which should get you below $8000. There are lots of ins/outs about buying a used Leaf, so head over to mynissanleaf.com and read more (especially about the four bar loss warranty before 60,000 mi and 5 yr). Ideally, you should get a 2012 with only 9 battery bars left (3 bars gone) with less than 50,000 mi. As such, you'd pretty much be guaranteed a new battery before next summer.

Sorry to hear about the rapidly accelerating car problems. I looked at Greenville, SC on Plugshare and you have LOTS of good choices for charging stations (including downtown, airport, universities) so you can easily get around with a used Leaf. The biggest difficulty would be driving to Atlanta, which "should" be possible using highway 29 and charging in Anderson and Athens. Since you have charging at work, you will be able to drive the most degraded Leaf for at least another 10 years and skip the M3 (probably not what you want to hear). If cost is the biggest driver, then go with the oldest (although the 2011-2012 Leaf is known to have heat-related battery degradation problems), which should get you below $8000. There are lots of ins/outs about buying a used Leaf, so head over to mynissanleaf.com and read more (especially about the four bar loss warranty before 60,000 mi and 5 yr). Ideally, you should get a 2012 with only 9 battery bars left (3 bars gone) with less than 50,000 mi. As such, you'd pretty much be guaranteed a new battery before next summer.

Hi ReddyLeaf,

Thank you. I actually, at the moment, have very little range anxiety. I don't drive to ATL but 2-3 times a year and I can use our ICE for that. A VAST majority of my daily, or even not so daily, drives are within 30 miles if you include the GSP airport which is where I travel out of the most!

I'm actually staring at a 2013 Leaf for $10K with 35k miles. More than doable and seems well within your parameters right?