Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get back those dropped framerates with v9

Have you been satisfied with the UI responsiveness in v9?

• No, the framerates are not acceptable. I have noticed a change for the worse between v8 and v9.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • I have not noticed a difference in performance between v8 and v9.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Yes, the framerates are acceptable. (I also may enjoy console games at below 30fps)

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With roughly 150k+ S/X units that run v1 MCU hardware, at least, I've been pretty disappointed with the interface interactions in general of v9. In particular:
1. The choppiness of switching between screens
2. The extra steps do things (for example, if you had the cold weather screen up in v8 in recent options, it would take one press to access, now it takes 2 / long press to shut off HVAC instead of quick-press)
3. The movement of features to the bottom along with the reduction in size of the buttons. This causes the user to have to hunt for settings, correct mis-presses, AND all while having their eyes lowered to be bottom of the touchscreen which is real time away from the road.

Tesla is the only one that can fix these problems permanently, but with regards to the interface choppiness, I found a work around to improve performance. Because the NAV is constantly up in the background, this is additional processing power being used to update that screen. But opening the drawing Easter egg and leaving it up while you set your screens makes NAV go away completely and you can go back to enjoy some semblance of smoothness. Try it out for yourself and see.

I've heard both sides of the issue to having NAV up all the time, but owners should be given a choice, like before. 98% of the time, most of us either:
1. Know where we are going already and don't need directions
2. Use NAV just for arrival times and therefore don't need the map either (this would be an actually useful feature: use that top 1" for arrival time estimation, maybe even a re-route button to adjust the re-route threshhold without hunting for the setting, and nix the map until the user pulls down or selects NAV)

Not exactly the most impartial survey... In v8 I usually had the map up and the responsiveness is similar in v9, but it's never been great. It could be better, but I've never had problems accomplishing what I'm trying to do.

My biggest gripe with v9 is that music (slacker usually) gets interrupted (skips) when I navigate places. It seems the unit is using all of its processing power calculating the route and music takes a back sear. I don't remember this happening in v8, but I also didn't use nav nearly as often (due to lack of NoA).

Not exactly the most impartial survey... In v8 I usually had the map up and the responsiveness is similar in v9, but it's never been great. It could be better, but I've never had problems accomplishing what I'm trying to do.

My biggest gripe with v9 is that music (slacker usually) gets interrupted (skips) when I navigate places. It seems the unit is using all of its processing power calculating the route and music takes a back sear. I don't remember this happening in v8, but I also didn't use nav nearly as often (due to lack of NoA).
I thought about breaking down responsed by MCU version, but then I thought it might confuse people if they didnt know exactly. And I couldn't let an FPS discussion go without making a dig at console gaming, it's a problem of mine, I know.

Elon has already said that a new 10X computer is coming soon. Should make everything much snapier.

Tesla must strategically allocate processing power where it will do the most good. They just turned on all the cameras in the cars, instead of just the forward facing one. They have revamped their displays and maps. They only have so much screen geography, and must use it judiciously.

I know they now control the headlights dimming and the windshield wipers speeds.

Not sure why they are doing what they are doing, but I have some faith that they doing the best they can overall.

They might need to slow things down even more to bring out their latest edition of Mind Craft : >)

Elon has already said that a new 10X computer is coming soon. Should make everything much snapier.

Tesla must strategically allocate processing power where it will do the most good. They just turned on all the cameras in the cars, instead of just the forward facing one. They have revamped their displays and maps. They only have so much screen geography, and must use it judiciously.

I know they now control the headlights dimming and the windshield wipers speeds.

Not sure why they are doing what they are doing, but I have some faith that they doing the best they can overall.

They might need to slow things down even more to bring out their latest edition of Mind Craft : >)
Is that 10x computer coming to your 2017 Tesla or my 2016 S?

It will, if you have FSD enabled : )

Elon mentioned that this newer computer would be able to offer enhancements in addition to providing a superior FSD experience.

Indicated he plans (plans change) to upgrade everybody at no charge, that paid for FSD in their Tesla.

Most others should be able to upgrade theirs, at a cost, if they require a snapier and more capable CPU than your original.

I suspect that when it comes to paying the extra money, many will consider their current computer to be just fine.

Last edited:
Tried it on the way home today. It seemed to fix the streaming audio problem with v9. There wasn’t any stutteriing in the audio at all. This stuttering music problem on V9 was driving crazy. I’ll test some more tomorrow. I’m on 2017 MS 75D with 2.5 AP.
I’m gonna try it also. I’ve been looking for any clue at all to help with this streaming skipping stuttering issue

Elon mentioned that this newer computer would be able to offer enhancements in addition to providing a superior FSD experience.

Indicated he plans (plans change) to upgrade everybody at no charge, that paid for FSD in their Tesla.

Most others should be able to upgrade theirs, at a cost, if they require a snapier and more capable CPU than your original.

I suspect that when it comes to paying the extra money, many will consider their current computer to be just fine.

Wrong computer. that's the AP computer.

Tesla messed up with the v9 UI. Cold weather is so hard to do. Why can't passenger seat heat persist or be allowed always on?

Tesla messed up with the v9 UI. Cold weather is so hard to do. Why can't passenger seat heat persist or be allowed always on?
Right, was going to say this. The AP FSD AP3 upgrade won’t touch the UI MCU interface.

But they do need to come back with the promised upgrade for the MCU or stop promising things that they will never actually deliver on.

MCU1 here. I actually noticed a performance/responsiveness improvement going from v8 to v9. I also think the settings are organized in a way that makes more sense to me, so I’m able to find things easier and quicker. I also strongly prefer the bottom app drawer to the app shelf on the top, I always had to fiddle with tapping the screen just right to make the shelf show up and it was really annoying.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Vitold and am_dmd

Fair enough, so you show me when I can buy an updated MCU for my v1 and I'll stop complaining. Because as much as we all want that to happen, it won't. Despite what Elon says. But beyond that, the performance issue is just a symptom of a deeper problem, and that is a crappier UI. I want to see cold weather moved back to Options, where it's bigger, and easier to access. Then I would also like to see a new HVAC section in the Options screen as well. That way, quick controls at the bottom can still be used, but the customization can happen at a higher eye level and larger display.

MCU1 here. I actually noticed a performance/responsiveness improvement going from v8 to v9. I also think the settings are organized in a way that makes more sense to me, so I’m able to find things easier and quicker. I also strongly prefer the bottom app drawer to the app shelf on the top, I always had to fiddle with tapping the screen just right to make the shelf show up and it was really annoying.
It looks like you have hardware v2.5. Any idea if things are offloaded from the MCU to the AP hardware to get this result?

So heated seats is an odd bird because this is such low-hanging fruit. About the time they did AP2.5, we got passenger weight sensors in the rear seats so that the sealbelt warning could be triggered if there was a person there but not buckled in.

Currently, front seat heater persistence is enabled. If it was on when you got out, it will be on when you get in. But what irritates me is that even if the passenger seat doesn't detect weight or seatbelt, it still leaves the seat heater on, what is the logic in that???

The logic is sooooo simple yet Tesla just doesn't do it:

If seat_heater was on AND weight_currently_detected THEN keep heater on
If seat_heater was on AND weight_not_currently_detected THEN turn heater off

It's simple stuff like this that reaffirms that the software dev team (or at least there managers) are not Tesla owners. And quite frankly, they all should be. There are enough TEFV (Tesla Engineering Fleet Vehicles) sitting around at Tesla for them all to take one home and be driven crazy by their poor choices.

But opening the drawing Easter egg and leaving it up while you set your screens makes NAV go away completely and you can go back to enjoy some semblance of smoothness. Try it out for yourself and see.
Holy crap! Your right. I’ve had skipping issues a lot. Like several times during each song. And after this they are gone.
Not a perfect solution but a great workaround for now.
At least it takes the confusion out of what’s happening. I was chalking it up to slow data somehow or maybe even slacker radio not buffering music anymore.

Thank you