Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get back those dropped framerates with v9

Have you been satisfied with the UI responsiveness in v9?

• No, the framerates are not acceptable. I have noticed a change for the worse between v8 and v9.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • I have not noticed a difference in performance between v8 and v9.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Yes, the framerates are acceptable. (I also may enjoy console games at below 30fps)

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy crap! Your right. I’ve had skipping issues a lot. Like several times during each song. And after this they are gone.
Not a perfect solution but a great workaround for now.
At least it takes the confusion out of what’s happening. I was chalking it up to slow data somehow or maybe even slacker radio not buffering music anymore.

Thank you
Thank you for the feedback. Please vote so that we can send this feedback to Tesla. Do you have MCUv1 or 2?

The choppy rendering was very pronounced to me after the upgrade and now the music skips randomly and often (about every other song there is a glitch or hiccup), and I question if the MCU is simply overwhelmed with the constant render of the full screen map in the background.

Reactions: georgewyull
The choppy rendering was very pronounced to me after the upgrade and now the music skips randomly and often (about every other song there is a glitch or hiccup), and I question if the MCU is simply overwhelmed with the constant render of the full screen map in the background.
That was my theory as well, hence trying to keep the doodle pad in the background. I've heard it helps greatly with the music shiskipp.

That was my theory as well, hence trying to keep the doodle pad in the background. I've heard it helps greatly with the music shiskipp.

Well, I have used the doodle pad background trick for a week now and it most definitely helps with the music skipping/hiccups. I did several test to prove to myself that if the app is up then the maps do not render which lends support to the theory that the persistent maps and nav is stressing the MCU to it's limits.

But opening the drawing Easter egg and leaving it up while you set your screens makes NAV go away completely and you can go back to enjoy some semblance of smoothness. Try it out for yourself and see.

I tried the "Doodle Pad Background" trick on my April 2017 Model S 100D (firmware 2018.42.2) and I immediately noticed improvements in responsiveness with the camera and media player, as well as (so far) elimination of the frequent skips/stutters with streaming audio.

Thank you for the tip.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
The experiences shared here are puzzling and admittedly quite frustrating for those affected.
I just want to shime in and hopefully give some hope.
Our S is a 2015 AP1, so with MCU1. It has 3G, not LTE. It’s a European version, so Spotify and not Slacker.
I can confirm there is no such stuttering and slowness with neither TuneIn nor Spotify. On the contrary, on v8, Spotify would often hang. V9 definitely improved it.

So hopefully this can be solved by software update soon.

Reactions: quickstrike12
By unifying the UI of the S/X with that of the 3, Tesla essentially forced (lowered) the S/X to the level of the 3. This is unfortunate because previously one of the biggest advantages the S/X had over the 3 was the two screens and the larger main display.

It makes sense on the 3 to not have "true" split screen apps, because the 3 needs a panel unobstructed to show dashboard info (speedometer, etc.) and the smaller screen cannot split apps without sacrificing usability. But this is not the case on the S/X, where the larger screen can show two apps simultaneously just fine and there's an independent dashboard display.

Similarly, all model 3s have fast MCU 2 and can thus show the maps full screen at all times without performance problems. But the S/X has a larger screen with more screen real estate to render, and many older cars have much slower MCU1. This makes the new UI much slower on the S/X, especially for older cars. Even if you have a popup like the camera overlaid on top of the map, it is likely that the full map is still being rendered underneath (doing occlusion culling is messy from an app perspective), therefore you are paying for the full-screen map even when you can't see it.

Basically, the v9 UI is a "least common denominator" solution. To the lesser equipped 3, there's not much of a difference. But to S/X, it negates one of the biggest differentiators of those two models. Not sure how much Tesla cares about S/X issues in the future, because in the long run, model 3 will vastly outnumber S/X.

I’ll add one more thing. I know it sounds crazy but I sat one day last week and deleted the entire “recent” history from the Nav system. And then did a reboot.
It has been working much much better but not perfect.
By unifying the UI of the S/X with that of the 3, Tesla essentially forced (lowered) the S/X to the level of the 3. This is unfortunate because previously one of the biggest advantages the S/X had over the 3 was the two screens and the larger main display.

It makes sense on the 3 to not have "true" split screen apps, because the 3 needs a panel unobstructed to show dashboard info (speedometer, etc.) and the smaller screen cannot split apps without sacrificing usability. But this is not the case on the S/X, where the larger screen can show two apps simultaneously just fine and there's an independent dashboard display.

Similarly, all model 3s have fast MCU 2 and can thus show the maps full screen at all times without performance problems. But the S/X has a larger screen with more screen real estate to render, and many older cars have much slower MCU1. This makes the new UI much slower on the S/X, especially for older cars. Even if you have a popup like the camera overlaid on top of the map, it is likely that the full map is still being rendered underneath (doing occlusion culling is messy from an app perspective), therefore you are paying for the full-screen map even when you can't see it.

Basically, the v9 UI is a "least common denominator" solution. To the lesser equipped 3, there's not much of a difference. But to S/X, it negates one of the biggest differentiators of those two models. Not sure how much Tesla cares about S/X issues in the future, because in the long run, model 3 will vastly outnumber S/X.
woouldnt the teslaCam dashcam be also taxing the cpu? Or is it using a different processor in altogether? I had read somewhere that AP2.5 cars have a “secondary or essentially a backup processor capable of handling some GUI duties. And that’s the reason only 2.5 cars were given dashcam.
The reason I ask is because removing the USB and disabling my tesla dashcam doesn’t seem to help at all with stuttering skipping slacker music and the frame rate loss.

Is this another clue?

• Informative
I’ll add one more thing. I know it sounds crazy but I sat one day last week and deleted the entire “recent” history from the Nav system. And then did a reboot.
It has been working much much better but not perfect.

woouldnt the teslaCam dashcam be also taxing the cpu? Or is it using a different processor in altogether? I had read somewhere that AP2.5 cars have a “secondary or essentially a backup processor capable of handling some GUI duties. And that’s the reason only 2.5 cars were given dashcam.
The reason I ask is because removing the USB and disabling my tesla dashcam doesn’t seem to help at all with stuttering skipping slacker music and the frame rate loss.

Is this another clue?
The "Recent" trick has been around for a while, but I wish it was more documented.

2015 70D MS, AP1 / MCU1 here, 2018.42.2

I have only been using V9 for less than a week but I already notice Slacker streaming audio frequently stutters. If you’re not listening closely you might miss it as the glitches are usually very brief but they’re there. Using the sketch pad trick instead of the nav map in the background so far (ie after a day or two only of testing with that) seems to get rid of the audio glitches. Thanks for that workaround, but Tesla really needs to do a better job with these updates especially for MCU1/early owners (Remember Elon, you said you’d never forget us)

Conceptually it makes sense that rendering the nav map even when it’s not required (eg for me, almost never required) must be wasting valuable CPU resources.

I have the music on the lower part of display with the rear camera above, dragged as high up as V9 will allow. I do not notice any visible framerate degradation of the rear camera with V9 but I still voted No not acceptable in the poll

The bigger problem I immediately noticed with v9 is extreme sluggishness of the USB audio player UI which I reported over in the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread.

Clicking between Favorites, Songs, Albums tabs for USB sometimes takes 10-15 seconds, it never did this under v8. Almost unusable now with v9

I'm guessing it's mainly reliant on the AP computer, not the MCU, hence the AP2.5 requirement. I have an AP2.0 car so I don't qualify.

2015 70D MS, AP1 / MCU1 here, 2018.42.2

I have only been using V9 for less than a week but I already notice Slacker streaming audio frequently stutters. If you’re not listening closely you might miss it as the glitches are usually very brief but they’re there. Using the sketch pad trick instead of the nav map in the background so far (ie after a day or two only of testing with that) seems to get rid of the audio glitches. Thanks for that workaround, but Tesla really needs to do a better job with these updates especially for MCU1/early owners (Remember Elon, you said you’d never forget us)

Conceptually it makes sense that rendering the nav map even when it’s not required (eg for me, almost never required) must be wasting valuable CPU resources.

I have the music on the lower part of display with the rear camera above, dragged as high up as V9 will allow. I do not notice any visible framerate degradation of the rear camera with V9 but I still voted No not acceptable in the poll

The bigger problem I immediately noticed with v9 is extreme sluggishness of the USB audio player UI which I reported over in the Comprehensive USB Bug List thread.

Clicking between Favorites, Songs, Albums tabs for USB sometimes takes 10-15 seconds, it never did this under v8. Almost unusable now with v9
USB audio is still a flipping train wreck. Ever tried playing a whole artist or album from the search list? Ugh....

Wish we could cut and paste this entire thread into an email to Tesla software engineer :-(
I sometimes wonder how things like this get back to them, or IF they get back to them.
I realize they have employees that drive the cars and test as they go but not everyone uses the car and system in the same manner or necessarily has the same versions of hardware software.

Lots of bug reports and or calls to service is our best hope I guess.

• Helpful
Wish we could cut and paste this entire thread into an email to Tesla software engineer :-(
I sometimes wonder how things like this get back to them, or IF they get back to them.
I realize they have employees that drive the cars and test as they go but not everyone uses the car and system in the same manner or necessarily has the same versions of hardware software.

Lots of bug reports and or calls to service is our best hope I guess.
Working on it, but we are fighting the fact that the two biggest proponents of bring parity to the UI, musk and Franz, aren't driving v1 MCU anymore, and therefore don't see these problems on a daily basis like we do. I mean, half these problems go away if you just render only the map portion that is visible AND stop taking away features (like cold weather) from the options screen. Media player is still a travesty though, but my guess is that they also aren't in the car as much as the average ownero and/or aren't using USB audio.

I will say again, the merging of the options/settings screen into 1 column was a step in the right direction for sure.