Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a long thread so probably missed it but is there a video of this in action? I think I'm going to order one as well. Thanks.

It's pretty anticlimactic. You press the button and the charge port door opens. :) What I'd like to see is someone pressing it some place that there are a lot of Model S's around (like maybe that Tesla Trip to DC last weekend) because the range on the remote is pretty large. That would make a good video.

The first time I used it "in public" was when the darn thing was set to full power and I was at the Dania Service Center. It opened ever car in the main building, adjacent delivery area, PDI area behind the building and all the cars in the front parking lot. It probably took over five minutes to go around and close all the charge doors so, yes, you can cause havoc with the thing is you are so inclined :)

Pass the Tin Foil please.
I've not had any PayPal spam since I nuked the account many many years ago. They harassed me endlessly to "verify" or some such term my account. Finally, they froze it until I responded. When I did respond, they would not verify me without a land line (which I'd not had for many a year) so I simply told them to close the account. I've not heard from them or the associated hacking spam since.

Fast forward to the present and now I'm getting PayPal complete your account registration emails and related spam. I've not contacted them so they must be scouring emails and forums to find their name somehow linked to my email address. Time for the tin foil :) If you think big company is not looking over your shoulder, think again.

I've not tested this. Not sure what will happen. My car is always unlocked when I test the fobs before mailing.

Come to think of it, I hope the fob does not open just any locked car. It would not seem wise to allow a generic device to open a specific car for which it is not been married to.

I have just used a tie wrap to attach it. I wrapped the tie wrap around the J1772 adapter and it sits under the J1772 latch. There is plenty of space there and it doesn't appear to place any strain on the latch itself. The downside is that if I am not careful the tie wrap will fall off of the J1772 adapter when I seperate it from the J1772 plug. In my garage, I never seperate them anyways so it is not an issue.

I'm setting up to program the last ten I have here so I can send those that wanted more than one the extra fobs and get out the last two or three on my list.

I just ordered 100 more boards (they are cheap and long lead time). Should I order the rest of the parts or, put differently, is there any need to build more.

I have just used a tie wrap to attach it. I wrapped the tie wrap around the J1772 adapter and it sits under the J1772 latch. There is plenty of space there and it doesn't appear to place any strain on the latch itself. The downside is that if I am not careful the tie wrap will fall off of the J1772 adapter when I seperate it from the J1772 plug. In my garage, I never seperate them anyways so it is not an issue.

The problem is what to do in the rain. These "openers" look like a few drops of rain would kill them. I am trying to figure out how to attach and have work on a rainy night. My problem is worse because I want to attach one of these openers to a public J1772 charger. We need to figure out a good waterproof solution for these wonderful openers!

My first reaction would be to pack it with silicon grease..... All five buttons do the same function so all you have to do is find one of the buttons that survives the grease. If not, you can simply wipe it clean.

A second option would be to conformal coat the board in all areas except the button lands.

Lastly, a careful sealing using silicon calk around the parting line might do the job with just a little used between the outer rim of the button casting and the plastic enclosure.