Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got about fifteen needing to go out from the most recent requests. I got the backlog taken care of before heading to France and will get the new backlog out when I get back late next week.

I gave up trying to get back to everyone when the volume increased. I had no idea it was going to be so usefull. I know it irritated me and I had to have one but then I am strange :)

Agil, sure, just PM me with your details and ill get one out to you. I can not guarentee it will not be haunted and appogize in advance if it is. If it does work just send me a twenty else send the fob back.

I got an interesting question about why the fob does not unlock the charge cable like it does with the Tesla charge cable. The following was my response-

"
The RF signal from the fob will ask the car to open the charge port. That is all the RF portion does.

1772 signaling on the pilot line is what tells the car to stop charging and release the charging connector. The button on the Tesla charger does both functions, RF and pilot signal. The button on my OpenEVSE 1772 charger does the pilot signal and properly asks the car to stop charging and unlock the charge connector but my car must be unlocked for this to work. I make sure I have my key in my pocket and that the car is awake/unlocked (which happens when I walk up) before pushing the button on my 1772 connector.

The above is probably clear as mud. Sorry if it does not make sense. You may want to do some research on the 1772 pilot signal hand shaking as it may offer a clearer explanation."

I can envision a situation where people are relying on the RF portion of the Tesla charge cable to wake the car up in an unlocked condition thus allowing the 1772 pilot signal to properly terminate charging. I've never done this and thus am unsure if this approach can be made to work. I also enable walk away locking so I know my car is always locked when it is sleeping (thus know I must have my key to unlock the car before I can release the 1772 charge cable).

Thoughts from others????

Update
I had to go back and re-educate myself. It has been a while since I did my OpenEVSE.

It is the Proximity signal that tells the EV to stop pulling power from the EVSE.
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

Last edited:
It is the Proximity signal that tells the EV to stop pulling power from the EVSE.
https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

When you press the button on the J1772 plug (or Tesla plug), you are adding 330 ohms (to the existing 150 ohms) to the proximity pin which signals the car to stop charging and disconnect the contactors on both the car and EVSE.

The introduction of the 150 ohm signal from the proximity will wake the car up.

Thank you to-
George lee
FatSal
Owner
FluxCap

Anyone that asked for one over four weeks ago (before I went on vacation) and have not received it please post or send me a PM and I will follow up.
All those that have asked recently, I'm back on it and should have another batch out within a few days.

Thank you to-
George lee
FatSal
Owner
FluxCap

Anyone that asked for one over four weeks ago (before I went on vacation) and have not received it please post or send me a PM and I will follow up.
All those that have asked recently, I'm back on it and should have another batch out within a few days.

You bet, thank *you* for all your generous work on our behalf!

What's the easy way to pop it open to take the paper out under the battery? I usually end up breaking a few of the tabs off and then it never stays together :)

-m
FYI: Assembly instructions are back on post #246 (thread page 25). @invisik: I used my largest jeweler's screw driver to gently pry one side open, and then the other. The spoked wheel needed a little pressure to get it properly seated in it's recess so that the rest of the parts sit low enough to stay in proper position relative to the two centering ridges on either side of the case. Once they were in proper position the case will close, but it does take a bit of pressure to squeeze it closed.

I went over to the garage without my key fob and was able to unlock the port which was holding the J1772 adapter (not connected to my EVSE at the time). Took two presses of Bill's charge port unlocker. I'm assuming the car was asleep, but don't know for sure. The port locked again after a few minutes. The car was locked, so I guess I won't have to go find the key fob to open the port. I'm still on v5.9
Thanks Bill!

Last edited:
tezco,

Thanks for putting up the information on dealing with the case halves coming apart and back together. I do basically the same thing on my end and, yes, they are a PITA.

Glad to hear the fob works for you and it is most certainly my pleasure. It is nice to give back on these forums.

BTW, we can thank the post office for the piece of paper isolating the battery. They insist the battery is not connected when mailed.

Last edited:
Awesome. Glad you got it and it is working as expected.

Just a quick reminder that the fobs are sent partially assembled. The USPS requires that batteries be isolated and transmitters NOT function when shipped. There is a white piece of paper stuffed in the battery holder that performs this function and must be removed before the fob can be used. I ship the battery installed and the printed circuit board clipped in the plastics as this is the best for protection of the parts. I leave the extra bits flopping around in the package so that the recipient can pull the battery paper and not think the fob is DOA. It also saves me a bit of time when I'm doing 20 fob shipments.

Thanks to all.
Bill