Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems a new firmware update has enabled charge port door opening via the car's fob. Anyone currently with a request in for a fob (over the past week or so as everything else has shipped) please check to see if this works for your car and let me know if you still want a fob.

Thanks,
Bill

I've not done it myself but am told it is part of a. Newer firmware and you hold the rear hatch button down.

Not working here. I tried a variety of combinations, car locked and unlocked, but holding down the rear trunk opener doesn't do a thing. (Double tap opens the hatch obviously, but thats it). So I'm still interested in that FOB from you. Plus, I have a great place to put it for helping me released my home J1772... so the fob from you will be spectacularly better than having to take out my car keys every morning. :)

The holidays have been hectic and I am just now getting to my fob house keeping. Thank you to all that have asked for fobs. I'll go down the list in the order I received the request and ship all that I have left. This will be the last shipment as I am now out.

All the best,
Bill

While I patiently await my fob, I wanted to update about my v6.0 SW and the long-press rear-trunk findings. Originally I had posted that it did not work, but I was partially wrong. It does, it just doesn't do everything I want it to do.

When my MS charge port is closed, long-pressing the rear lift gate button DOES indeed open the port (VIN # 48609). However, when it is done charging, I had expected that the factory key fob black-car would also then release the charge port so that I could pull out my charge cable. It does not, sadly.

We are a dual-EV home (Nissan Leaf we've had for 2-years) (Tesla S85 we picked up just recently). As such we have a 40A Leviton charger that sports a J1772 handle. This works fine for the Leaf, but right now the only way to release the handle (with adapter) is to hop in my car and press the button on the 17" display. Otherwise, I can remove the J1772 but not the adapter, and the correct way is to press button first, obviously.

lolachampccr, am I correct that your fob will work the same as the "button" on the OE charge cord, such that pressing it also released/unlocks the charge cable from the port? If so, then it will accomplish my goal nicely and I already have a smart way to attach it to my J1772 home handle for easy access. Hopefully that will save me the headache of having to clamber inside my car each morning just to press a button and then have to get back out to remove & hang up the cable on the wall.

Pressing the button on a J1772 handle will not release the adapter since that is locked into the tesla. I'll try again in the morning to use my car key fob to release the adapter same as I achieve pressing button on dash.

But LOL's fob will work better, as it will save me hassle of digging in my pocket for a key. Instead I'll be able to attach his fob to my handle such that I should be able to make releasing it a simpler, faster and more efficient experience.

How cool! Just got a firmware update on Friday (2.0.81) and can pop the charge port door with a 2-3 second hold on the trunk button on the FOB.

It seems a new firmware update has enabled charge port door opening via the car's fob. Anyone currently with a request in for a fob (over the past week or so as everything else has shipped) please check to see if this works for your car and let me know if you still want a fob.

Thanks,
Bill

Does the charge cable not release because your car is locked?

My car is not locked. I've tested that theory. Even when the car is unlocked, the long press on the key trunk button only seems to open the door. Doesn't seem to release handle.

--UPDATE--

Okay some testing and clarification.

(1) When the car is locked, as expected, there is no way to open the charge port, with the OE key fob.
(2) Walking up to the car, the car unlocks. Long-pressing the rear hatch button on the black car key fob (OE) will indeed open the charge port door.
(3) With car unlocked, plugged in, long-pressing same button has no affect on anything.

What is interesting is that I never realized the J1772 must have an internal switch inside (I always just thought you were pulling the handle off "hot"), because when I press the button on the J1772 handle, the circle goes from solid green to solid white on the car-side, and I'm able to pull everything out. HOWEVER, because I've pressed the J1772 button, I've also now mechanically disengaged the adapter from the handle, so it requires two-hands to grab the adapter "collar" and put it out at same time as the J1772 handle.

While this works, I see this as potentially bad first because it is cutting off power to the Tesla unexpectedly (I assume the OE Tesla charger unplugging may do so via RF, and it is the car that shuts off/disconnects). Secondly, the hassle of the two-handed collar-grab requirement. LOL's fob should, I assume, mimic the OE handle in that it will tell the car to "please stop power, and release"... and that is really the effect I'm going for, in a more native method.

But-- do others have J1772? Do they use a method that doesn't involve going in their car, or the key fob that lolachampcar is offering?

Last edited:
Arijaycomet,

The key fob will not release your connector from the car. Allthough in Europe we use another connector, the functioning is the same.
On the Tesla UMC, the button sends out an RF signal, and also sends a signal through the signal wires (not RF) to stop charging. The signal to unlock is not sent by RF, and that is for a god reason...

The code sent out by RF is the same for al cars (otherwise the superchargers would not be able to open every car), but sending the RF signal does not affect charging. Suppose it would, then every car capturing the RF signal would stop charging (provided the car key would be nearby)
That would not really be what we want to happen :)

Cheers!

-m
My car is not locked. I've tested that theory. Even when the car is unlocked, the long press on the key trunk button only seems to open the door. Doesn't seem to release handle.

--UPDATE--

Okay some testing and clarification.

(1) When the car is locked, as expected, there is no way to open the charge port, with the OE key fob.
(2) Walking up to the car, the car unlocks. Long-pressing the rear hatch button on the black car key fob (OE) will indeed open the charge port door.
(3) With car unlocked, plugged in, long-pressing same button has no affect on anything.

What is interesting is that I never realized the J1772 must have an internal switch inside (I always just thought you were pulling the handle off "hot"), because when I press the button on the J1772 handle, the circle goes from solid green to solid white on the car-side, and I'm able to pull everything out. HOWEVER, because I've pressed the J1772 button, I've also now mechanically disengaged the adapter from the handle, so it requires two-hands to grab the adapter "collar" and put it out at same time as the J1772 handle.

While this works, I see this as potentially bad first because it is cutting off power to the Tesla unexpectedly (I assume the OE Tesla charger unplugging may do so via RF, and it is the car that shuts off/disconnects). Secondly, the hassle of the two-handed collar-grab requirement. LOL's fob should, I assume, mimic the OE handle in that it will tell the car to "please stop power, and release"... and that is really the effect I'm going for, in a more native method.

But-- do others have J1772? Do they use a method that doesn't involve going in their car, or the key fob that lolachampcar is offering?

You still have to use 2 hands no matter what fob you use.

Cutting off the power by removing the cord is fine, the car is prepared for that to happen (light ring changes as you observed).

The lolachamp fob only opens the charge port door, nothing more. (I have one too)

The only other physical method that I know of is to unlock the doors with the Tesla key fob, then press the J1772 release button, then grab the J1772 and the adapter together and pull out. I approach my car from the drivers rear so this works pretty well... I can press the door unlock button on the Tesla key fob while it's still in my pocket, so that helps make it a little easier.

-m

invisik- assuming you press the release button inside the car, I can personally then pull the J1772 (without pressing button on its handle) and the whole assembly comes out as one. This is the method I've been using as this is what I was told to do by tesla tech support. They even have a PDF that says this is the correct way. They told me on phone they did not suggest any alternate method.

How come the button on the factory cable (or supercharger cable) works to release the cord? Does it do so because it is just cutting off power? If so, then I would agree with a method of pressing my J1772 button + two-handed operation perhaps. Hmm.