Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My favorite movie. :p OK, back on topic... my initial question still stands. I'm curious to know if there may be a way to duplicate the pulse pattern and stick a little board on the J1772 adapter. We'll see. :)

Is there any modulation of the harmonic frequencies encoding plans for a hyperloop? ;)

Seriously, a button built-into the J1772 adapter run off the same type of battery as the fob would be nice.

I'd originally wanted to run something off the pilot of the J1772 connector for convenience, but since then the charging situation at work has changed, so I'm likely never going to plug in there.

At this point, I'm just doing it for fun. Seems mildly more useful than decoding TESLIVE images ;-)

If we can get the protocol, doing something like a pocket remote should be straightforward. I still think the most convenient would be something integrated with the J1772 pilot, though that's a lot more work.

I'd originally wanted to run something off the pilot of the J1772 connector for convenience, but since then the charging situation at work has changed, so I'm likely never going to plug in there.

At this point, I'm just doing it for fun. Seems mildly more useful than decoding TESLIVE images ;-)

If we can get the protocol, doing something like a pocket remote should be straightforward. I still think the most convenient would be something integrated with the J1772 pilot, though that's a lot more work.

If we DO end up building something like this (and please let me know if you need help somehow), I'll likely just duct tape it to the J1772 adapter anyway. :)

Looks like an interesting project. Check out the 315 MHz reference design for the TI CC1110 with integrated 8051 processor. Or you might look at the Freescale MC33493 plus either a 430 processor or 555.

I'm using an attiny AVR to drive the transmitter since that's what I'm used to and what I have the tools for.

I think it'd be awesome if I could build this into my OpenEVSE in my garage so that I wouldn't have to use the touchscreen every time to pop the charge port.

I don't really know any details of OpenEVSE, but I suspect that it should be possible to have it trigger the external transmitter.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that a simple 315MHz learning remote would be an expedient method to transmit this code, but where's the fun in that. :)

I think it'd be awesome if I could build this into my OpenEVSE in my garage so that I wouldn't have to use the touchscreen every time to pop the charge port.

I just ordered a 315Mhz keyfob transmitter from Adafruit based on the PT2262 chip. I plan to add a small microcontroller and see if I can get something working... If all goes well I will design a small Open Source board that can fit in a J1772 handle...

I spent a while poking through the signal during the burst. It looks like it's square wave at 1kHz, so pretty simple (assuming I'm not filtering away interesting information again).

There are 13 pretty clear sync pulses at the beginning, then a 1 clock (1ms) pause, then the data starts. The data appears to be manchester encoded, but not entirely consistent. For the first 50 bits or so, there is a data transition matching with where the rising clock would be every cycle, which makes sense. But then, the signal transitions appear to move half a clock to the falling edge (there is a transition every 1ms, but now aligned 0.5 off from before).

At that point, I decided to stop trying to parse the data and just try to mimic it. I extracted out the timings and generated AVR code from that which passed my parsing code, but still doesn't open the charge port. I suspect the problem is either with RF noise (I'm getting a smear on the waterfall diagram rather than a tight signal), signal strength (first pulses are a lot stronger), or timing (delays on the AVR are running a little long)

I spent a while poking through the signal during the burst. It looks like it's square wave at 1kHz, so pretty simple (assuming I'm not filtering away interesting information again).

There are 13 pretty clear sync pulses at the beginning, then a 1 clock (1ms) pause, then the data starts. The data appears to be manchester encoded, but not entirely consistent. For the first 50 bits or so, there is a data transition matching with where the rising clock would be every cycle, which makes sense. But then, the signal transitions appear to move half a clock to the falling edge (there is a transition every 1ms, but now aligned 0.5 off from before).

At that point, I decided to stop trying to parse the data and just try to mimic it. I extracted out the timings and generated AVR code from that which passed my parsing code, but still doesn't open the charge port. I suspect the problem is either with RF noise (I'm getting a smear on the waterfall diagram rather than a tight signal), signal strength (first pulses are a lot stronger), or timing (delays on the AVR are running a little long)
It's good to know that Tesla has made it difficult to unlock the charger port, so that our cables will be relatively immune from the casual thief.

It's good to know that Tesla has made it difficult to unlock the charger port, so that our cables will be relatively immune from the casual thief.

The security should come from the key (hopefully rolling code), not from the opening protocol myself. I suspect that someone who actually knows RF electronics and protocols would have finished this in an easy afternoon.

The security should come from the key (hopefully rolling code), not from the opening protocol myself. I suspect that someone who actually knows RF electronics and protocols would have finished this in an easy afternoon.

I don't think there's any real security intended for the charging port door. After all, it's held closed with magnet and can easily be pried open. I believe any UMC can open any Model S charge port door, in addition to any HPWC and any supercharger connector. The pin that locks the connector in the port is a different matter, and is tied to the door locks. (Door locks meaning the locks on the big doors, not the charging port door.)

I used the "unlock charge port" button from the mobile app just yesterday when using a ChargePoint station.

When you stop the charging on the station, then "stop charging" on the phone turns into "unlock charge port".

Odd, I am not seeing the "Unlock Charge Port" button appear after I stop the charging on the station. Are you running the Android version of mobile app? Or maybe it is the way you are stopping the charging?

hmm, i'll have to check for an "unlock" button on the iphone app, I have not seen that but maybe I missed it. I have not received the HPWC yet so have been making daily use of the adapter with my blink/Leaf charging station. It can be a bit cumbersome. if I'm charging and turn on climate control from the app, I have to turn the climate control off, stop charging, then go to the main screen and open the charge port all in order to get it to unlock so I can remove the adapter. I have not tried simply pulling the J1772 free to interrupt charging to see if it unlocks the adapter... I find it difficult to get the adapter out if it's not still connected to the J1772. I have put up with this so far knowing the HPWC would come and that would be the end of it for the most part, very much a first world problem but it would be nice to have more direct control of the locking, perhaps make the automatic locking a feature that is default but can be turned off on the screen so that it never locks. the locking aspect seems like a good option, but in two years of EV ownership I've never had someone mess with my charging, which of course with the adapter, they still can.

It operates both, it has to in order to be able to install either the J -1772 adapter or a Tesla charging connector...

I just ran an experiment on my iPhone, and with the UMC plugged into the car, I found no way to get the "open charge port" button to display. In its place was either "stop charging" or "start charging". In order to get the UMC out, I had to unlock the car, but that can also be done from the mobile app, on a different screen.

But you're right. When not plugged in, if you open the charge port door from the app, you can plug in without unlocking the car.

Last edited: