Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Your precariously-balanced ping-pong paddle cracked me up.

Is there a loop or something on the J1772 adaptor where we could attach the keyfob? I'm going to be using this adaptor pretty frequently as my primary charging method when my car arrives, but I don't really want to carry around an additional clicker with me all the time. I'm already stuck with 3 as it is.

Gizmotoy,
My regular charger is a public J1772. Depending on the range of the fob, maybe leave it in the car in the pocket by the drivers side inside door handle. Easy to push while exiting the car.

I haven't read the whole thread, but would be interested in buying one.

My original target was an add on to the OpenEVSE that, with some luck, could be activated by pushing the charge handle button when the car is not connected (just like the Tesla unit). I'm hunting around for some fob plastics and could easily do a small PCB to fit if I could find a readily available housing with buttons. Help on the plastics and button silicon rubber bits would be appreciated.

My original target was an add on to the OpenEVSE that, with some luck, could be activated by pushing the charge handle button when the car is not connected (just like the Tesla unit). I'm hunting around for some fob plastics and could easily do a small PCB to fit if I could find a readily available housing with buttons. Help on the plastics and button silicon rubber bits would be appreciated.

Great that you got it to work!
Why not use the plastic key fob case silabs uses? Its available with one button too.

How about polycase? They have 4 styles... http://www.polycase.com/handheld-remote-control

We were just looking at little keyfobs the other day for a project. If you don't want to do any of the button membranes yourself, your options are very limited. Pretty much everyone either resells the Serpac or PolyCase ones. The Serpac ones posted above are at least available in individual quantities from DigiKey so can be ordered with other stuff, and some of them have water resistance. We decided to customize one, so unfortunately I don't have one on-hand.

I'd like to put this in a J1772 plug, but it needs to accept 3.3 VDC. Will it?

Then, you can use the J1772 adapter to charge a Model S.

Tony,

It's perfectly happy with 3.3 volts. I've not looked at the pilot signal. Is this what you would like to use as a source? Do you have a handle in mind and an idea of available room for a small PCB? Will the button be PCB mounted or need to be separate?

- - - Updated - - -

Giz,

I'll get some plastics with a single button on order along with battery clips and other misc. bits to support a layout. I think the documentation for the plastics even provided a recommended PCB mechanicals.

Tony,

It's perfectly happy with 3.3 volts. I've not looked at the pilot signal. Is this what you would like to use as a source? Do you have a handle in mind and an idea of available room for a small PCB? Will the button be PCB mounted or need to be separate?

Just like the current Tesla UMC, I would like to be able to use the current 3.3 volts that is available when I install a J1772 plug on a UMC.

Now, the UMC can plug into virtually any EV (including Model S with the supplied J1772 to Tesla adaptor) and it can open the Tesla charge port door. From the OPENevse, it will be super easy to just use a 4 conductor J1772 cable to power it with 3.3 volts.

I would mount the microswitch separately, connected to the current switch. The PCB can fit anywhere inside the J1772 plug. I would also like to add a volt/amp/kW meter in the J1772 handle.

Last edited:
Vincent,

I still have all my Orcad tools from a previous life and normally use PCBcart for the boards. Given that the board will be just a couple of inches, the set up charges will dominate. It will probably be $100 for 100 boards depending upon shape.

Most of my time is going to be spent on making sure the end result can be used in multiple applications (1772 handle, OpenEVSE and key fob).

Thanks for the heads up on plastics. I'll put together an order for the passives and get some plastics on the way. Mouser is closer :)

Plastics ordered. These are the same ones used by SiLabs in their kit so I'm just going to release the kit's artwork for PCB fabrication tomorrow. The different functional modes will be achieved by firmware. Standard key fob firmware for those that want to hang it from the cable and auto transmit on boot for those that want to put it into the cable or the OpenEVSE (button installed in 1772 handle simply gates power to the board).

Thanks to all for the help.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up porting the test code to an example for battery power with shutdown. The next step once that is working are some Alpha testers to see how long the battery lives.

Attachments

• Fob.jpg
    Fob.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 816