Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit the button on mine this weekend with my sunroof open and I heard "tick, tick, tick" as all three Model S in the garage opened their charge ports. I thought I had the signal tempered a bit, but I guess not. :)

I felt bad going around poking everyone's charge port closed again, haha.

Shipped today via USPS
tdchinn
David Rhee
Owner
mbaj4
commasign
dailydriver
StottieLV
GuyHall
absolution (only one)
drtko147
pharmacydave

That wraps up my first 50 and should have at least one to everyone that wanted one. I have received another 100 printed circuit boards and will order the rest of the parts on Monday. When those come in I'll be able to get all those with multiple orders what I owe them.

Thanks,
Bill

for those new to this thread, this is how I have been shipping out fobs-

"XYZ,

I just shipped the last of the first batch of 50. I've received the printed circuit boards for the next batch of 100 and will be ordering parts to have them stuffed this week so, the short answer is yes. I should have more to go out in about four weeks.

If you like, send me your address and I'll get one out to you. If it works for you and you like it you can send me a $20 by return mail.

Best Regards,
Bill Hart
bill@ my screen name .com"

And it really works! :)

"XYZ,

I just shipped the last of the first batch of 50. I've received the printed circuit boards for the next batch of 100 and will be ordering parts to have them stuffed this week so, the short answer is yes. I should have more to go out in about four weeks.

If you like, send me your address and I'll get one out to you. If it works for you and you like it you can send me a $20 by return mail.

Best Regards,
Bill Hart

"XYZ,

Best Regards,
Bill Hart

Thanks! Works like a charm!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 448
TD,
I would have thought you would have it by now. If it does not show by the time I get the next batch, I'll send another.

DR,
The battery needs to be installed and the fob reassembled. Once this is done, pressing ANY button will pop the door. I suggest testing just after closing one of your car doors to make sure the car is alive. it will wake the car and pop the door but this can be time consuming depending upon the state of the car at the time.

I test all fobs by inserting a battery and having it pop the door on my car before they ship. It is always possible that one failed in route but there are very few parts on the fob. If you continue to have issues, I'll get another to you as well.

I'll make a change to the next batch and test with the battery that is shipped with the fob instead of a single test battery and simply have a small piece of paper to isolate the battery from the contacts (like most other electronics shipped with a battery installed). This isolation is required by the post office. Not testing with the battery that ships opens the potential of shipping with a dead battery.

I have not tested this but others have an indicated that the charge door will open with (take your pick, fob, UMC, HPWC, SC) the cable button press. I was only pointing towards a possible delay if the car is in deep sleep. Having just opened/closed one of your doors would remove the sleep issue and allow us to focus purely on the fob working or not.

For what it is worth, your's is the first that has had an issue :(

I have not tested this but others have an indicated that the charge door will open with (take your pick, fob, UMC, HPWC, SC) the cable button press. I was only pointing towards a possible delay if the car is in deep sleep. Having just opened/closed one of your doors would remove the sleep issue and allow us to focus purely on the fob working or not.

For what it is worth, your's is the first that has had an issue :(

Thanks for letting me know. I will try to use my phone to unlock the car first before I go down to the car. That way the car is not in deep sleep. Maybe that will work.

Just curious on how it is supposed to work. I have walked up to my Tessie and pressed the center button but nothing happens. Am I missing something?
Mine won't open if the car is sleeping. If it's awake, it'll open the charge port whether the car is locked or unlocked.

That said, it's been several firmware versions since I used it last so behavior might have changed. We have several Model S in our apartment garage and it opens all of their ports, so I had to stop using it. :crying: I tried 3 or 4 different shield designs and gave up. Maybe I'll get back around to it one day.

The Tesla powered Rav4 EV also goes to sleep, so that leaving it plugged in with an external timer won't wake it up or charge it.

We now manipulate the proximity signal on the charge cord with the external timer. When it's plugged in, the timer will show an open circuit on the proximity pin. Then, to wake the car, the timer will open across a 150 ohm resistor which will tell the car that it has been plugged in.

Then, to stop the charge with the timer, it opens to 330 ohms. So, three conditions for the proximity signal:

1) open - car sleeping
2) 150 ohms - car wakes, ready to charge
3) 330 ohms in series with 150 ohms, car stops charging.

Yes, you need a J1772 plug / cable with a proximity wire to do this. Now, back to charge port door issues.