Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get model 3 wrapped? Or stick to base colors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about ordering a LR AWD model 3, and the Turo rental I had was this awesome orange wrap color. I really dislike the factory paint colors (besides maybe white, but everyone and their mother has that color). Would probably get midnight silver since it’s free and wrap the exterior either some sort of battleship gray, Miami blue, or orange. But not sure since I’ve never wrapped a car. Is it expensive? And is it worth it? Have any of y’all done it

I did a whole-car Xpel Paint Protection Film (PPF) when I took delivery of my P3D in 12-2018. I also considered a vinyl wrap at the time, but decided to go for the PPF. If having a unique color is important to you, then a vinyl wrap is a great way to go. Where I live, a vinyl wrap would have cost between $3,500 and $4,000. The whole-car PPF was a bit more expensive at $5,000.

How long a vinyl wrap lasts depends on a lot of factors. Do you park your car in a garage or is it parked outside and exposed to the elements? Do you live in an area with extreme weather (looks like you are from Seattle, so I am guessing the frequent rains might impact the life of your wrap). People that sell vinyl wraps claim they will last up to 7 years, but my guess is that it would be more like 4 or 5 years. Again, depends on what it is exposed to and how well you take care of it.

Here is another option to give your car a unique look. Instead of a vinyl wrap, you could go for a PPF with a matte finish, such as Xpel Stealth PPF. It doesn't change the color, but it does give the car a very cool and unique matte finish.

Vinyl will protect the paint underneath to some extent, but not as much as PPF. PPF is much thicker than a vinyl wrap. And PPF has self-healing properties whereas Vinyl does not.

Go for the custom color if that's your thing. Get the white and then you can put any color you want on it. And since you kinda like it anyway, you can always fall back. Rumor is Tesla will soon allow you to change the color of the car in the display which would be pretty cool:

Thinking about ordering a LR AWD model 3, and the Turo rental I had was this awesome orange wrap color. I really dislike the factory paint colors (besides maybe white, but everyone and their mother has that color). Would probably get midnight silver since it’s free and wrap the exterior either some sort of battleship gray, Miami blue, or orange. But not sure since I’ve never wrapped a car. Is it expensive? And is it worth it? Have any of y’all done it

Since white is the factory color you dislike least and is a no-extra-charge color, why not just get the car in white? Then if you decide not to wrap it in a different color, you will at least have the least disliked lowest cost color.

Go for the custom color if that's your thing. Get the white and then you can put any color you want on it. And since you kinda like it anyway, you can always fall back. Rumor is Tesla will soon allow you to change the color of the car in the display which would be pretty cool:
Why white? Why not MSM since it’s also a free color?

I actually disliked MSM initially, but thought it would be the best color if I decide to wrap my car later on (wasn't gonna get another black car). I've actually grown to like MSM the longer I own it, and will probably skip a wrap. I personally think Tesla's white is their best looking color (because at least it's a cool white, and not old man safe red and blue). But a white car limits you on wrap colors unless you don't mind seeing white door jambs

I actually disliked MSM initially, but thought it would be the best color if I decide to wrap my car later on (wasn't gonna get another black car). I've actually grown to like MSM the longer I own it, and will probably skip a wrap. I personally think Tesla's white is their best looking color (because at least it's a cool white, and not old man safe red and blue). But a white car limits you on wrap colors unless you don't mind seeing white door jambs
I personally do like the white, but don’t want to see the white door jambs and also don’t like that everyone has white in case that I decide not to wrap it.

I considered red but Tesla red (in my opinion) never wowed me as much as other car manufacturers. It does look better with the black door handles though! And blue is just too safe of a blue. Too dark and not that interesting

I had the same thought when I ordered my MLR3. I ordered white and 4009DC88-86E2-4064-AF9B-2845197C5A33.jpegE2E88997-6792-430F-B0A0-99E80DC7C02B.jpeg62FAF770-FC31-4A4A-BE1C-19BF2A99F8FE.jpeg took delivery this past December. I immediately had it wrapped and am very satisfied with the decision.

Wouldn’t I be able to wrap the door jambs? I know it’s extra cost. But my logic is I want white more than Msm, and wouldn’t mind keeping white. I just want a wrap as a backup in case I get tired of seeing white cars everywhere haha

I wouldn’t mind MSM either though

Wouldn’t I be able to wrap the door jambs? I know it’s extra cost.

Have you priced "how much extra" it would be to wrap the door jams? I dont think its " a couple hundred" extra... I think its likely " a couple thousand" extra. Sure, you can do X if you spend Y money. Are you going to pay 50% more to wrap the door jams?

Have you priced "how much extra" it would be to wrap the door jams? I dont think its " a couple hundred" extra... I think its likely " a couple thousand" extra. Sure, you can do X if you spend Y money. Are you going to pay 50% more to wrap the door jams?
Hmm good point. I’ll try calling a local shop and seeing if I can get a quote. If it’s a lot more expensive and not a couple hundred, then I may just get MSM so that’s it easier. Or just pick red/blue to get more color.

What color is that? I love it
This wrap color looks like: