Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Model S now or wait for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not currently a Tesla owner but absolutely love the car after test drive. But 90k is not small money and model 3 will be out soon. I'm debating if I should stretch my budget (significantly) now or put down my deposit for model 3.

Any folks had similar debates that could share some thoughts?

Appreciate that!

I'm not currently a Tesla owner but absolutely love the car after test drive. But 90k is not small money and model 3 will be out soon. I'm debating if I should stretch my budget (significantly) now or put down my deposit for model 3.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the Model 3 will be out “soon” but you don’t have to spend anywhere near $90K to get into a Model S now.
  • A custom order car can be had for under $60K after federal tax credit.
  • A better equipped (including AWD, AP, etc.) new inventory car can be had for as little as $76K after federal tax credit.
  • A CPO car can be had for as little as $53K and I’ve seen other used ones going for under $40K.

Keep in mind you are getting more from the model S than the model 3. It all depends on what your needs is.

Currently, the model 3 is not a hatch. If you want a hatch, the model S is your only choice. If you want a bigger car with more space, then model S is your only choice. If you want all the latest bells and whistle, the model S is your only choice.

So depending on your needs, you might be better with the model S rather than the Model 3. Those are expensive upgrades, but it's the current state of things. Until tesla releases cross-over and other types of cars, these are your only choices.

Any folks had similar debates that could share some thoughts?

Appreciate that!
I'm in the same boat as you are and been spending a lot of time here:

I have personally been looking into a brand new S 60, solid white with autopilot, leather and pano roof. Around $66k - $1k referral credit + $6.5k of options . That's $72,700 including delivery + TTL - tax credits.

Putting $16.5k down we would pay $740 a month for 6.5 years. We would save around $100 a month in gas savings so net cost of $640 a month. I assume no state tax credit.