Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get my 2015 P85DL today! Can I use the supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take possession of my 2015 P85DL today and have a road trip planned to a cottage 400 kms away on 2019-08-16. Will I immediately have access to the Supercharger or do I have to have an account set up with Tesla first? If an accont must be set up, how long does that take? I won't be able to complete my trip without supercharger access :S Thanks!

Yikes, that’s a long time! Can someone confirm whether or not you need an account to access the supercharger network? It isn’t really clear to me based on their FAQ, but maybe I could temporarily add a credit card directly into the infotainment screen to get me by until my Tesla Account is set up and I get FUSC?

D37DA46D-6AAA-4BA8-8845-CD58962AD1AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a SC where you are taking delivery? If so just go plug it in and see.

I set my account up when I put my deposit in so not sure why you don’t already have one.

I’m purchasing the car from my neighbour, but with a broker/dealer facilitating the transaction. I’ll take possession at a Tesla Service Centre but I can bring it to a supercharger to test it out.

I don’t think we could set up the car in a Tesla account in advance because the car is still owned by my neighbour. Or perhaps I don’t understand what the account really is

Unless Tesla is taking ownership of the vehicle in the broker arrangement, that car should have free, unlimited Supercharging tied to it. This is regardless of owner/account. Tesla has been removing FUSC from cars that it takes on trade, but if they don't own the car they can't remove the feature.

I’m purchasing the car from my neighbour, but with a broker/dealer facilitating the transaction. I’ll take possession at a Tesla Service Centre but I can bring it to a supercharger to test it out.

I don’t think we could set up the car in a Tesla account in advance because the car is still owned by my neighbour. Or perhaps I don’t understand what the account really is

You may want to look into how this dealer transaction will affect the free Supercharging. From reports on other threads tesla is taking away the free Supercharging if purchased from a dealer as well, not just from Tesla like someone mentioned above!
I would think that as long as the car isn't registered to the dealer at any point you should be fine but you should get something in writing from Tesla before the transaction!

If you create an account online, your neighbor can go to his account page and you as a secondary contact with access to the car. Since the car is still on your neighbor's account, it should still have Supercharging and you will have phone access to the car instantly. You and your neighbor can set this up online in just a few minutes.

Once you get the title to the car, you can then officially transfer ownership and it will be removed from your neighbor's account.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
When I took possession of my 2014 P85 in Oct. of 2017, I stopped at a supercharger on the way home. Worked perfectly! I did buy directly from Tesla back when they actually refurbished the cars. Dont know if getting the car from Tesla had anything to do with immediate access.

There are a couple of things you can do since you are buying the car from a neighbor.

To keep Supercharger access for your road trip, don't notify Tesla the change of ownership until after your trip.

If your neighbor doesn't have any other Tesla's, ask them for the account login so you can have mobile access before Tesla transfers the car in your name.

There are a couple of things you can do since you are buying the car from a neighbor.

To keep Supercharger access for your road trip, don't notify Tesla the change of ownership until after your trip.

If your neighbor doesn't have any other Tesla's, ask them for the account login so you can have mobile access before Tesla transfers the car in your name.
Even if his neighbor has multiple Teslas, he can use the secondary contact settings mentioned above to add access to individual cars. We have multiple cars on our account and recently sold one of them. We used the checkbox to indicate which car he could have access to until it is officially transferred to his account.

upload_2019-8-8_9-45-33.png

As I mentioned earlier, the changes take effect immediately and no call to Tesla is necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
When I bought my 2013 S60 from a private seller he was nice enough to let me login to the Tesla app from my phone with his account until the car transferred to my name. He didn't own a second Tesla. I drove from NYC to Oklahoma on the supercharger network for free.

As others have noted these pre-2017 vehicles had FUSC for life of the vehicle. Current owner should have this displayed in their account to confirm that. As long as transfer of ownership is not completed this will continue to be the case so your drive home will not be an issue. It SHOULD also transfer to you as well but as documented in other posts Tesla has been doing some shady things that seem to contradict these terms so don't expect you will necessarily get to keep it.
TeslaAccountScreenShot.jpg

As others have noted these pre-2017 vehicles had FUSC for life of the vehicle. Current owner should have this displayed in their account to confirm that. As long as transfer of ownership is not completed this will continue to be the case so your drive home will not be an issue. It SHOULD also transfer to you as well but as documented in other posts Tesla has been doing some shady things that seem to contradict these terms so don't expect you will necessarily get to keep it.View attachment 439219
I have the same note in my account. Just got my 2016 June build 75D before the FUSC was taken away. I bought directly from Tesla and I have the FUSC perk.

As others have noted these pre-2017 vehicles had FUSC for life of the vehicle. Current owner should have this displayed in their account to confirm that. As long as transfer of ownership is not completed this will continue to be the case so your drive home will not be an issue. It SHOULD also transfer to you as well but as documented in other posts Tesla has been doing some shady things that seem to contradict these terms so don't expect you will necessarily get to keep it.View attachment 439219
If they really are removing “lifetime of the car” Supercharging from cars bought by non-Tesla dealers as claimed in a post above, that would indeed be shady. That’s a big if, though.

But removing it from cars they own seems perfectly legit. Of course it could cause confusion down the road in some situations. For example, if someone bought my 12/16 S from me and later bought another early model S from Tesla, that person would surely feel tricked as my car would have the Supercharging but the other car would not. However even in that case, I don’t see anything shady. And it makes my resale more valuable, which is a nice bonus for me!

Last edited:
2017 S here, I bought mine third party in the UK two weeks ago and supercharge every few days because of my commute and I still haven't got app access, I'm told it has free supercharging which I believe but I guess the original owner could be getting a huge bill :)