TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Get out too fast - car stays on!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Zextraterrestrial, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Zextraterrestrial

OK I finally learned why I have found my car listening to music without me. Or why my car left the parking lights shining all night one evening.

Rain.
    If you get out of the drivers seat and close the front door relatively quick, say a bit <1second, the car stays on. Well when it is dumping rain I don't know how else to exit my car?:frown:
    Should be an easy software change regarding ' P' and the seat sensor

2. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I suspect on those rare occasions manually locking it with the FOB would turn it off.

3. Glitch

Glitch Member

When i get out of the car doesn't matter how fast it will turn off. I find it actually annoying, for example my wife and kids are in the car, when I leave as the driver the car shutsdown airco, heather, radio etc.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Yea, it should be smarter about radio/HVAC.

just because I opened a back door doesn't mean turn on the radio/hvac for the 20 seconds it takes me to get crap out of the back seat.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm assuming they know to tap the screen to bring it back on.

6. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Doesn't sound like it...

7. Zextraterrestrial

nope
    tried that

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you could get out a bit faster and shut the door and everthing will stay on

- - - Updated - - -

not sure there is a 'good' fix for that issue, assuming you want everything on when you get in to drive the next time

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

After exiting the driver seat, a tap on the brake pedal will leave everything going after the door's closed. Good if you want that (as when leaving passengers inside), not if you didn't.

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

seriously?! that's a hot tip!

can't wait to try it

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

When the brake is pressed, the car is "turned on". It won't turn off again until someone gets off the driver's seat. If nobody gets in it, there is then nobody to get off it.

I still find it easier for them to tap the screen when I close the door.

Overall, one would have thought Tesla would tie in the passenger seat airbag sensor to this logic and not turn off the car if someone is in the front passenger seat at least (no luck on back).

11. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Yeah, this. It really is curious that this isn't the logic.

12. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

My suggestion for all this is the vehicle needs to show a countdown on the big screen before shutting down HVAC and audio. This way it doesn't turn on/off as I put things in the passenger seat, kids in the back, etc, it just stays on for say 30sec. Then the passenger can see the countdown and can click an option to keep the stuff on.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Darn good suggestion.

14. Lex

Lex Member

I would bet that right now they want to officially suggest that nobody should "run" the car without planning on using the traction pack, ie. they don't want to be seen to be in support of a camper mode, or comfortable passengers :)

I too look forward to testing out SW2Fiddler's suggestion of tapping the brake pedal without a driver in the seat -- hopefully this will work for me for washing (vs. getting back in to activate the parking brake).

15. green1

green1 Active Member

Doesn't know the difference between a parcel and a person, so you don't want it to stay on if you're beloved bowling ball is sitting there. The driver's seat is easier, you can generally assume that it's a person there and not cargo.

I like the countdown idea, doesn't have to be very long either a 10 second or less one would still clue a passenger in really quickly.

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

You leave stuff on the seat and they don't become projectiles while driving? Are you in Valet Mode? :)

17. green1

green1 Active Member

I generally do not, but I know that many people do. I also have had stuff there for short duration trips when the car is FULL. The point though is that Tesla doesn't know what you have or have not put there.

18. Zextraterrestrial

You guys are funny and completely OT :wink:

My problem was that it stays on when I have no intention of touching my car for many hours