Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get some Sense... [sense monitoring solution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sense is definitely confused about my refrigerator. Hopefully it will clear up (the status shows it is still learning it). I've had missed refrigerator cycles, and had the oil boiler mis-reported as the refrigerator (plus some unknown usage).

Sense is definitely confused about my refrigerator. Hopefully it will clear up (the status shows it is still learning it). I've had missed refrigerator cycles, and had the oil boiler mis-reported as the refrigerator (plus some unknown usage).

How long has yours been learning? I've had mine for a month and it's only found 6 loads. Still making progress though... it found my hot water heater yesterday.

I have found that the status of what it's learning doesn't mesh with what it's actually doing or has already learned. It still says it's learning my microwave but it discovered that ~2 weeks ago and it's 100% accurate knowing when it's on or off.

Last edited:
Actually, I was happy it was that low. I can live with ~133W (100kWh/month).

Sense reported finding my refrigerator and well pump this morning at 1am (after 53 hours, although both still show as "Currently Learning"). Two hours later it added my refrigerator light and an unrecognized heater and motor. Under "up next" it shows "possible microwave"

I wonder how it differentiates between the bulb in the fridge and any others (like the oven) - I can't fake it out.

The current transformers snap around the feed coming into your main breaker and measure all power coming into the panel.

If the ATS switches the mains between the utility or generator, Sense would measure power used from either (assuming it doesn't have a problem with dirty generator power). If it's switching individual circuits after the individual breaker, Sense wouldn't see the power draw on the generator, but I can't see how the ATS would prevent Sense from measuring that circuit when running on utility power.

Thanks, so this should work for me. I think I am going to go with Sense as I'm reading some concerns about Nuerio not really being responsive and the company seems stagnant. I got nothing but time with my 6 year loan on my 2015 Tesla :). I charge at around 30 amps now on my 14-50, do you think It will pick it up? I saw you were having some issues.

Thanks, so this should work for me. I think I am going to go with Sense as I'm reading some concerns about Nuerio not really being responsive and the company seems stagnant. I got nothing but time with my 6 year loan on my 2015 Tesla :). I charge at around 30 amps now on my 14-50, do you think It will pick it up? I saw you were having some issues.

My Sense still hasn't found my car... I think part of the problem might be that I usually charge at work and rarely charge at home. I forget who posted it but someone reported that it recognizes their car independent of the charge rate... which makes sense since it's looking for a specific waveform not a specific current draw.

It is frustratingly slow at learning... you would think that once it knows the wave form of one Tesla it should know them all....

It seems that the original fridge device has morphed into the boiler - it was detecting the boiler more and more and the refrigerator less and less. Last night it found "fridge 2", and it seems to have decided #1 is the boiler and #2 is the fridge.

I ordered my Sense last night Certainly isn't cheap but I'm a sucker for smart home stuff and pretty much have the entire house teched out. How soon did you guys get it after payment?
Next day - ordered Tues lunch time, it shipped that afternoon Fedex ground from Londonderry, NH. Arrived the next day.

I purchased a solar panel version of the Sense but am unable to attach to my main panels, I have two 100 amp panels side by side. Sense technical assistance suggested I install at my outside panel where the solar feeds into my system but I can't believe the Sense would work in that location. How could it sense the devices inside my house when installed outside at the solar feed?

I was hoping to get a sense too. I have 2 100 amp subpanels far apart. My solar is connected to the one furthest from my meter. There was no way to get it to work. My choices were to connect it to the main feed for the 2 100 amp panels and ignore the solar, which would have been costly as I would need a new 200 amp breaker to be installed. The other was to connect it to the panel with solar and not see the loads on the other panel. I wish there was a way to do it but for my house no such luck.

I've had neurio for over 6 months. It's appliance learning is rudimentary at best.

I take it sense only has two CTs? I use 4 CTs with neurio for my two main panels.

Can you get extra sense CTs?
There isn't really any current support for multiple main panels. A single unit has one CT input (plus a second input for monitoring solar production, but that can't be used for a second main panel).

Your choices are:
1 - Buy 2 sense units and install one in each main panel. You'll currently have to set up 2 accounts and monitor them separately. Integrating multiple sense units under one account is supposedly on their radar at some point.
2 - Find a place upstream from the 2 panels, before the feed splits, where you can install the CT's. If there's a customer-accessible section of the meter pan, you could try there. Then you can monitor the entire use with one unit.

There isn't really any current support for multiple main panels. A single unit has one CT input (plus a second input for monitoring solar production, but that can't be used for a second main panel).

Your choices are:
1 - Buy 2 sense units and install one in each main panel. You'll currently have to set up 2 accounts and monitor them separately. Integrating multiple sense units under one account is supposedly on their radar at some point.
2 - Find a place upstream from the 2 panels, before the feed splits, where you can install the CT's. If there's a customer-accessible section of the meter pan, you could try there. Then you can monitor the entire use with one unit.

Thanks. I can't get a consolidated feed without breaking the tamper seals from the utility. Can I just wire two CTs in parallel on the one input?

"Good News Everyone"! - Farnsworth

18902081_10211366640494603_305983494_n.jpg

Sense appears to be reliably detecting my 35 amp charge cycles. (long story, power company sucks).
Nothing reported for my weekday morning HVAC setting.
6/1 marks the start of my car. I bought the sense... last November I think. Whatever this thread says.
It seems fairly correct based on my approx. daily driving on each day of the week.
My normal route doesn't vary much M-F.

So... neato!

Just in time for the wife to pick up a Model 3 ;)

Last edited: