Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get the JackPoint Jack Stands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
So for the 2nd time in less than a year, I have a tire puncture on my Model S that can't be repaired. Each time, Tesla charges roughly $450 for a new tire, mounting, and balancing. A 245/45R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tire runs about $200 from a place like TireRack, so figure with shipping you could maybe have a 3rd party install a new tire for no more than $300 (probably less).

With this happening twice in the last year, that's over $300 overpaid for tire service over the last year. That's enough that it would have paid for a pair of the JackPoint Jack Stands.

Why JackPoint Jack Stands? Because I don't trust anyone other than Tesla to lift the car, and you can't jack up a Model S effectively and put it on stands (long enough to get wheels off in order to take them into a 3rd party service center to replace, mount, and balance new tires) without a way to put stands on the same point as you jacked from.

Moral of the story is, if you are a do-it-yourselfer and don't have them already, buy the JackPoint Jack Stands now! They pay for themselves in only 2 tire replacements, and as I am now a cautionary tale for, it can happen in less than a year.

And again to all those who say they never or rarely ever have tire punctures where you have to get repairs or use a spare, here I stand. Twice in less than a year, sidewall both times.

I know some still are scared of Tesla's... but why not just take the car to a local tire place and show them where to lift/bring some hockey puck (or even better, the OE tesla) spacers with you?

Jackpoints look nice though; might have to get one :)

Finding a tire place that you trust to jack the car up sounds alot easier and cheaper than buying some overpriced jackstands.

Not to mention if you aren't getting underneath the car and just lifting it to get the tire off, using just a jack is fine.

Reactions: Gt1948
Finding a tire place that you trust to jack the car up sounds alot easier and cheaper than buying some overpriced jackstands.

Not to mention if you aren't getting underneath the car and just lifting it to get the tire off, using just a jack is fine.
Honestly, being in coal rolling Missouri, it is unlikely I will trust any tire place to lift a Tesla. A tire shop is exactly the kind of place Tesla haters will be employed. Also, floor jacks tend to slowly drop over time, so unless a quick wheel swap can be done (which it can't if taking wheel off to take in for tire replacement without an available spare), you really need a jack stand.

Reactions: Joelc and EVCarGUy
I have been able to change wheels with just a floor jack and blocks of wood. No chance of the jack slowly dropping and I can leave the car on the jack indefinitely.

With the floor jack fully retracted, fill the gap between the floor jack and car's jack pad with wood or metal blocks.
The goal is to be able to lift the wheel off the ground with the fewest pumps necessary. You don't have to fill all of the space, but it will be less scary if you did. You'll see why when lowering the jack.
Lift the car and take the wheel off.

After taking the wheel off, slowly lower the floor jack to its fully retracted position while keeping an eye on the bottom of the brake rotor. You will see the rotor will have plenty of clearance from the ground.
The car can be left that way indefinitely since it's being held up by solid pieces.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and KJD
I have found locally here it's VERY difficult to find a shop that will touch a Tesla for any reason... When I had a flat, I had to take the tire off at my house and then I took it to the local shop that's been doing the work on my cars for awhile and had to fight just to get them to patch the tire... I'm not kidding... I had to get the owner of the shop on the phone then had to sign a release saying that they aren't responsible for anything the moment I hadn't the tire off, so if they scuff up the rims, tough luck... Then I had to sit through 10 min of whining about how Tesla is evil and only exists because of tax payer subsidies and blah, blah, blah... They lost all my business with that experience but even still, there weren't any other options...

Jeff

Reactions: EVCarGUy
I have found locally here it's VERY difficult to find a shop that will touch a Tesla for any reason... When I had a flat, I had to take the tire off at my house and then I took it to the local shop that's been doing the work on my cars for awhile and had to fight just to get them to patch the tire... I'm not kidding... I had to get the owner of the shop on the phone then had to sign a release saying that they aren't responsible for anything the moment I hadn't the tire off, so if they scuff up the rims, tough luck... Then I had to sit through 10 min of whining about how Tesla is evil and only exists because of tax payer subsidies and blah, blah, blah... They lost all my business with that experience but even still, there weren't any other options...

Jeff

Yeah. I'd prefer to avoid running into that situation. My strategy would be to remove the wheels myself and, if at all possible, never tell them what kind of car it came off of. Some shops I'm sure are good and will treat you right. But others will be fearful, some possibly not sufficiently competent and could lift the car in a way that could cause damage, and some may even have anti-EV jackasses who will give you a hard time in every way possible.

I think this problem will lessen over time as cheaper EVs roll out and become more common, but for now it's still a concern.

BTW, while Tesla quoted me $450, they only charged me $375. So not as bad as original estimate. Can't recall if they did the same thing the previous time or not. I guess they want you to feel better about the actual cost after you've gone through with it even when, frankly, it's still too high.

Let’s back up a little because I want to understand your situation. You start off with complaining because Tesla Service Center can immediately replace your tire and get you back on the road for a quote of $450. Or you can order a replacement tire from Tirerack. You volunteer that it’s unlikely you will trust any tire place to lift a Tesla to replace the tire/wheel.

Sooo, you order from Tirerack and wait two-three days for the delivery. (I hope you have something else to drive during the wait.) Then you get the replacement tire. You load your extra vehicle with your flat Tesla wheel and Tirerack replacement tire and head out hoping to find any tire place that will remove the flat, mount the new one and balance the complete wheel, - is this the tire place you don’t trust to lift a Tesla? Now, you pay that bill at the tire place that didn’t sell you the tire, so they likely charged you a premium above the Tesla charge of $50 for bringing your own tire and wheel to remove, mount and balance. You load the mounted wheel back up in your extra vehicle and take it home to lift with your jack and support it with your new jackpoint jackstands. Don’t forget to torgue your wheel lugs with your new torque wrench.

Lucky you had this flat at home and your Tesla was not sitting out on the side of the highway with that flat. Wait, I forgot to ask, did the Tesla Road Side Assistance come get your car and take it home for you? Good thing that was free.

As I recall, Tesla Service Center will send someone to get me and my car on the side of the road and bring me to the Service Center to fix my flat. To me, that level of service is worth paying (not a lot more), but more for a new mounted tire if its needed. And with my luck, it was raining monsoon style.

Life’s a beach and it seems to always be two steps ahead of us – no matter what precaution we take. Based on your luck so far, you likely have used up all your tire bad luck – meaning the rest of your life you will never have another flat tire.

You’ve done the preemptive strike by getting your own jackpoint stands, bought a new spare tire from Tirerack in advance, and a very good jack. But life is going to mess with you and never let you have another flat.

And you tell us Tesla actually charged you $375 versus the quoted $450. How dare they charge you less than your quote !!! What is wrong with things at Tesla these days, huh? The mounted tire should be free, huh?

Some of us didn't keep a spare vehicle to haul our Tirerack tire and flat Tesla tire/wheel to the tire place we don't like. It was cheaper to just pay too much to have it done one place with one trip on the same day at the Service Center.

I see your point. Where can I find those jackpoint jackstands?
;)

Let’s back up a little because I want to understand your situation. You start off with complaining because Tesla Service Center can immediately replace your tire and get you back on the road for a quote of $450. Or you can order a replacement tire from Tirerack. You volunteer that it’s unlikely you will trust any tire place to lift a Tesla to replace the tire/wheel.

Sooo, you order from Tirerack and wait two-three days for the delivery. (I hope you have something else to drive during the wait.) Then you get the replacement tire. You load your extra vehicle with your flat Tesla wheel and Tirerack replacement tire and head out hoping to find any tire place that will remove the flat, mount the new one and balance the complete wheel, - is this the tire place you don’t trust to lift a Tesla? Now, you pay that bill at the tire place that didn’t sell you the tire, so they likely charged you a premium above the Tesla charge of $50 for bringing your own tire and wheel to remove, mount and balance. You load the mounted wheel back up in your extra vehicle and take it home to lift with your jack and support it with your new jackpoint jackstands. Don’t forget to torgue your wheel lugs with your new torque wrench.

Lucky you had this flat at home and your Tesla was not sitting out on the side of the highway with that flat. Wait, I forgot to ask, did the Tesla Road Side Assistance come get your car and take it home for you? Good thing that was free.

As I recall, Tesla Service Center will send someone to get me and my car on the side of the road and bring me to the Service Center to fix my flat. To me, that level of service is worth paying (not a lot more), but more for a new mounted tire if its needed. And with my luck, it was raining monsoon style.

Life’s a beach and it seems to always be two steps ahead of us – no matter what precaution we take. Based on your luck so far, you likely have used up all your tire bad luck – meaning the rest of your life you will never have another flat tire.

You’ve done the preemptive strike by getting your own jackpoint stands, bought a new spare tire from Tirerack in advance, and a very good jack. But life is going to mess with you and never let you have another flat.

And you tell us Tesla actually charged you $375 versus the quoted $450. How dare they charge you less than your quote !!! What is wrong with things at Tesla these days, huh? The mounted tire should be free, huh?

Some of us didn't keep a spare vehicle to haul our Tirerack tire and flat Tesla tire/wheel to the tire place we don't like. It was cheaper to just pay too much to have it done one place with one trip on the same day at the Service Center.

I see your point. Where can I find those jackpoint jackstands?

For starters, you have to understand where I'm coming from. I worked on cars for much of my life. Not professionally, but because it was just something we did because we took pride in it and because we were poor and could often do our own work much cheaper than a shop. So I've already got a lot of equipment, including floor jacks, jack stands, torque wrenches, and many other tools.Stuff I've acquired from my grandfather and bought myself over my lifetime.

The Tesla was the first time I encountered the unique situation where I had no spare, and no good way to jack the car and place it on standard jack stands due to a lack of good stand points. That's where the JackPoint jack stands come in to play.

The first flat was a fast flat. I had to have the car towed to the service center to have the tire replaced.

The second flat was a slow flat. I could add air to the tire with my air compressor and drive it for a day before it would be flat again. So I was able to drive it to Tesla instead of having it towed.

In both cases, if I had had the appropriate equipment, I could have lifted the car myself, put it on a jack stand, take the wheel off, and go get the tire repaired or replaced. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a tire ordered from TireRack. Just depends on what tires the local shop has available, how quick they can get them, and what they cost. TireRack is just a convenient way to see what a good price on a tire is.

There have been many times in my past where I have taken a wheel with a flat tire into a tire shop to have a flat patched or tire replaced. This is really normal operating procedure for me. Pre-Tesla, I might would drive my car in to the tire shop if the tire would hold air long enough, but I might not.

I have never been stranded before with a flat, as in the past my cars had spare tires, and you could change the flat at the side of the road if you couldn't limp it home first. Done that a few times too. I think the first time I've ever had to have my car towed was my first Tesla flat where I couldn't take the wheel off myself (happened very near home, so made it home despite the fast leak). Had to have it towed from my house to the Tesla service center.

I have to admit, I've become very cynical in my middle age. I take a dim view of people who can't change a tire or drive a stick, but I also can't stand the all too common rolling coal assholes who can pass those tests but otherwise fail at giving a *sugar* about things that matter far more. So I sound negative most of the time. But really I just want to be able to fix stuff myself, something I have a history of doing in many disciplines, because I often don't trust others and don't like getting charged more than I think a job is worth.

EDIT: And yes, I trust a tire shop to remove a tire from a wheel, put a new one on, and balance it. It's what they do. But they probably won't know jack about lifting a Tesla, and some of them would have their work quality slip enormously when they see a Tesla and immediately pigeon hole me as a rich elite liberal who is responsible for everything bad that has ever happened to them in their life.

Last edited:
But they probably won't know jack about lifting a Tesla,

Maybe I'm missing something.

Short of putting the air suspension (if equipped) in jack mode, which is a requirement not exclusive to Tesla, what sort of special procedures are required to use an automotive lift on a Model S? It's a car. It has four very well marked lift points. That's about the extent of what you need to know.

Yeah, I don't understand whats going on here. I swap my winter/summer tires each year on both my Teslas with an AC Delco jack I bought about 10 years ago. Zero problems.

I've left the car on the jack overnight with zero drop.

A Tesla is not some mythical beast that requires special procedures to lift. It's just an exceptionally heavy car.

Jeff
That's not the experience I have had in the Bay Area. Last time I had a flat, I called several places and all of them were more than willing to take my $$$ for a repair. Based on recommendations from other owners, I ended up at the America's Tire Store in Walnut Creek. Didn't buy the tires there, but they gladly did the repair and earned my business for my next set of tires. No issues with working on a Tesla and there were several other specialty vehicles there at the same time, so they seem to be familiar with working on cars that might take a little more care and feeding.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
It's just an exceptionally heavy car.
It's not even substantially heavier than other large luxury sedans.

Last time I got a flat on the Tesla, pulled into my garage and heard air coming out of the tire. Jacked the car up myself, took the wheel off and threw it in the trunk of my other car. Went online, ordered the tire from Tire Rack who happily ships it to a local tire store. Tire arrives next day, stop on my way home for work. They happily mount and balance the tire for $40. Go home spend 5 minutes to put the tire on, and yes I have a torque wrench like millions of other Americans. Total time taken, 30 minutes. Saved a couple bucks vs the mobile install and/or the hours of driving to/from the nearest service center. No need for fancy jack stands.

I don't understand why anyone is talking jack stands at all. Jack stands are for when you're working under a car. Replacing a tire does not in any way, shape or form require jack stands. If you're putting part of your body under the car while you're replacing a tire, you're doing it wrong.

It's such a nothing task, why overcomplicate it? All you need is a jack, a car with lift points, and a tire iron or socket wrench.

BTW, ignore my last post if you find it offensive in anyway. I was getting grumpy.

Back on point, at least in my case the JackPoint jack stands could have paid for themselves already, so if you want a pair, I recommend not waiting. You never know when you will need them, and you can't just go out and buy a pair from Sears (yes, Sears, the best department store their ever was, as it had Craftsman tools that were the go-to quality tools for decades, RIP in advance Sears), so go ahead and order your set.

It has four very well marked lift points. That's about the extent of what you need to know.

The Wheel Works shop I took mine to could not find the lift points. I even asked the salesman if they worked on Teslas and he said they have.

I watched the technician bring the floor jack to the side of my car then look under it to find the lift point. He could not find it. He then proceeded to bring the floor jack to the rear of the car and that was when I intervened. I politely showed him the correct location as well as how to enable jack mode.

Few days after I got my car back, I noticed he damaged my rim. So I had to go back and talk to the manager. He then told me which wheel repair shop to take it to and they would pay them directly.
And I had to go to my local service center and ask to borrow the wheel I returned 2 days earlier.

I have found locally here it's VERY difficult to find a shop that will touch a Tesla for any reason... When I had a flat, I had to take the tire off at my house and then I took it to the local shop that's been doing the work on my cars for awhile and had to fight just to get them to patch the tire...

Jeff

Can you tell us which shop that was?
Who do you take your Tesla wheels to now?