Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geting in and out of the darn thing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a thread here on the forum on the lack of an interior coat hook, but my problem on my new Model S60 is a bit different. It is just difficult, and almost painful to get in and out of the car without any grab bar!

I am 6 feet at 185, my wife is 5'8" at 150 (neither of us is heavy), and we both find it difficult to get in and out because of the very low overhang of the front doors. Every other car we have owned for some years has a grab bar inside the front doors, and with more vertical clearance than the Tesla doors. I fully understand the aerodynamic nature of the car leading to doors with minimal vertical clearance, and the car is spacious once we get in.

But getting in and out is just tough, if not painful.

I have sent a message to Tesla and received a kind but non-committal reply.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any aftermarket grab bars installed? Any other approaches to the problem of getting in and out of a sardine can?

I love my Tesla, once I get inside...

I saw the name of this thread and just assumed you were talking about a Roadster. :)

I haven't heard complaints about the Model S. All I can say is that with the Roadster, which I swore was maybe 2inches below ground level, give or take, became much easier to get in/out of with time ... probably because the muscles needed to gracefully enter and exit gained a little muscle memory.

It's true for tall folks the B pillar is too far forward when the seat is put all the way back. Someone else here mentioned they created a driver profile called "exit" that they summon when exiting the car that moves the seat up and forward to make egress easier. I did that. It makes a difference but I don't use it much.

What I did to help the exit situation is create two exit profiles. One that locks the doors and one that keeps the doors unlocked (Locked for when I'm out and about and unlocked for when I leave the car in the garage). The steering wheel position is raised up and pushed all the way into the dash. I have the bottom of the seat raised up (almost tilted forward a bit), the back of the seat more vertical and the base of the seat moved forward so I don't get stuck on the B pillar exiting the car. I will also grab the steering wheel to get some help exiting. I find that raising the base of the seat and tilting it slightly forward really helps me exit more comfortably.

My wife and are are getting along in years and find the MS a bit difficult to exit. The driver has that big round thing to help. Consider the Stander Handybar for the passenger and/or the driver. http://goo.gl/OJUSyq

Can't use the device for exiting the rear seats, and that is even tougher, especially for older folk. Shame that we pay the big bucks and then have to improvise a grab bar - a place to hang a suit jacket would also be nice..

What I did to help the exit situation is create two exit profiles. One that locks the doors and one that keeps the doors unlocked (Locked for when I'm out and about and unlocked for when I leave the car in the garage). The steering wheel position is raised up and pushed all the way into the dash. I have the bottom of the seat raised up (almost tilted forward a bit), the back of the seat more vertical and the base of the seat moved forward so I don't get stuck on the B pillar exiting the car. I will also grab the steering wheel to get some help exiting. I find that raising the base of the seat and tilting it slightly forward really helps me exit more comfortably.

I like the idea of creating a profile to get in and out.

Will try that.

But don't think that will help the wife on the right side....

Friendly note: DO NOT INSTALL GRAB BARS that may be after-market! There are gas canisters and airbag equipment stored above the doors, you will seriously damage the car if not kill yourself.

You may not of been considering this, but after seeing your frustration I felt compelled to insure that you don't become the first major injury inside a Model S. :biggrin:

I agree: getting in and out is a serious drawback, something Tesla did worse than most. A stored "EXIT" seat position did not help much. The lack of an overhead grab handle is something I think Tesla should retrofit for free, even if they can't exactly relocate the B pillar.

On balance, of course, Tesla is way ahead.

Overall ingress/egress in the Model S (front and back) is difficult compared to other cars I've driven, but then again, this is a premium sports sedan and I'm guessing they are all somewhat like this, goes with the overall form factor of the car.