Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting 320Mile charge Constently anyone Else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
amazing
316.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
For daily use I charge to 70% and I still get home every night with >50% remaining. Haven’t fully charged yet but will be doing my first soon for a road trip.
even for roadtrip, i never go above 90%, just because supercharging rate tapers off dramatically above 80%, so i'd drive normally and plan to arrive at supercharger with 10-20% just for 25-30mins to get to 80%.

Reactions: linkster
I have heard that even charging to 100% in Model 3 is not as bad for the battery as S and X because there is more inaccessible juice in the 3 compared to S and X. So while the car might read 100%, the actual SoC is ~90%. If Tesla did indeed set things up this way, this is really smart IMO. It removes the need for the customer to think about managing their battery for longevity. That said, keeping actual SoC lower than 90% is even better, but below 90%, there's rapidly diminishing returns. I think during the peak of summer when the weather is really hot, it still pays to keep the SoC lower.

even for roadtrip, i never go above 90%, just because supercharging rate tapers off dramatically above 80%, so i'd drive normally and plan to arrive at supercharger with 10-20% just for 25-30mins to get to 80%.
Two situations when it makes sense to charge to 100% when on a road trip (in addition to needing the miles to get to where you’re going):
1. You’re eating while supercharging and the car is waiting for you to finish, rather than you waiting for the car to charge. It might as well charge up to 100%. Note I’m talking about most of the country where you’re lucky to see another Tesla at a supercharger, not southern California.
2. When staying overnight at a hotel with destination charging, charge up to 100% in the morning, just before you leave. It will make your first supercharger stop shorter, or you might even be able to skip the first one.

Two situations when it makes sense to charge to 100% when on a road trip (in addition to needing the miles to get to where you’re going):
1. You’re eating while supercharging and the car is waiting for you to finish, rather than you waiting for the car to charge. It might as well charge up to 100%. Note I’m talking about most of the country where you’re lucky to see another Tesla at a supercharger, not southern California.
2. When staying overnight at a hotel with destination charging, charge up to 100% in the morning, just before you leave. It will make your first supercharger stop shorter, or you might even be able to skip the first one.
The key is your two scenarios are both exceptions, not rules....

I have heard that even charging to 100% in Model 3 is not as bad for the battery as S and X because there is more inaccessible juice in the 3 compared to S and X. So while the car might read 100%, the actual SoC is ~90%. If Tesla did indeed set things up this way, this is really smart IMO. It removes the need for the customer to think about managing their battery for longevity. That said, keeping actual SoC lower than 90% is even better, but below 90%, there's rapidly diminishing returns. I think during the peak of summer when the weather is really hot, it still pays to keep the SoC lower.
This would be fantastic, as the service center has already "fully" charged it 2-3 times since I took "delivery."