Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a 2021 VIN assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After an order is placed is there a place where one can see "estimated delivery" time frame when logged into your Tesla account? Have completed all "tasks" other than uploading insurance info which I will do once VIN is assigned. Currently I see no estimated delivery.

My delivery date RANGE has been there the whole time, it updated when I declined the 2020 car they assigned to me. It can’t be dependent on the VIN.
Where do you see the "RANGE" when you log into to your account (maybe I'm missing it)? I also placed my order on September 25th but decided to delay delivery until December so my sales advisor noted a December delivery (my order and was flagged "ineligible"). However, he changed the order a couple of weeks ago for "Immediate Delivery" so I expected to see the delivery RANGE appear someplace on my account (I remember seeing this prior to being assigned a VIN when I ordered my first Tesla a year ago).

My delivery date RANGE has been there the whole time, it updated when I declined the 2020 car they assigned to me. It can’t be dependent on the VIN.
Same with me. I decline delivery after a 2020 vin was assigned to me and I got a new delivery date of late nov. Soon after I changed the paint color and still have the same delivery date as before.

Thought I'd share: My sales advisor told me they're starting to see VINs and expect I'll be assigned one soon with a delivery (unless I misunderstood him to mean VIN assignment) even possible next week. Of note, I ordered in September and pushed back delivery (P3D).

When you get your new car:
Be sure to take these two critical pictures at a high SoC (ideally above 80%). For example: This shows me that my vehicle constant is ~244Wh/rmi (might be closer to 245) and my full battery is 288-296 rated miles, or 70.2kWh-72.2kWh. If I am careful with the rounding error and wait for the % “click down” I could get better precision. Or just charge to 100% (but no need).

(Waited a little longer and saw bouncing between 74 and 75% at 217 rated miles, with 74% solid at 216. So about 216.5rmi at 74.5%, so ~291 rmi at 100%.)

Key is to capture all 4 numbers concurrently (%, rated miles, projected range, Wh/mi avg.)
25E4AFA0-9810-421C-B451-966690EE539B.jpeg

9D9669BC-932D-4EE9-A609-13A54678C58E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
After an order is placed is there a place where one can see "estimated delivery" time frame when logged into your Tesla account? Have completed all "tasks" other than uploading insurance info which I will do once VIN is assigned. Currently I see no estimated delivery.

I noticed that there is a display issue with the tesla estimated delivery date. When I view on my computer (mac chrome or safari) it doesn't show the estimated delivery, but If I check the website on my phone it shows the estimated delivery dates. I checked the source code for their website and the delivery is in section where the css class will only display this on mobile phone (or if you make your browser really narrow like a mobile device). So try looking at your account on your phone and maybe you will see your estimated delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: tbwnm
I noticed that there is a display issue with the tesla estimated delivery date. When I view on my computer (mac chrome or safari) it doesn't show the estimated delivery, but If I check the website on my phone it shows the estimated delivery dates. I checked the source code for their website and the delivery is in section where the css class will only display this on mobile phone (or if you make your browser really narrow like a mobile device). So try looking at your account on your phone and maybe you will see your estimated delivery.
Phone app or using your phones browser to view the website?

So try looking at your account on your phone and maybe you will see your estimated delivery.

Noticed this too. I think it's just a difference in how the date range is displayed. Maybe they just haven't rolled it out to desktop yet.

On mobile mine says "Oct 29 - Nov 26"
On desktop it says "5-9 weeks from order"

But if you do the math, my order date is Sept 24, plus 5-9 weeks is Oct 29 - Nov 26.

Basically just a different way of showing exactly the same information. I don't think it indicates anything about impending delivery.

When you get your new car:
Be sure to take these two critical pictures at a high SoC (ideally above 80%).

Or, for a contrarian view, don’t.

My opinion: buy the car, drive it, enjoy it and don’t get hung up in worrying about the battery.

Best of luck @To3OrNotTo3 — very exciting time and you’re going to love it!

Or, for a contrarian view, don’t.

My opinion: buy the car, drive it, enjoy it and don’t get hung up in worrying about the battery.

You misunderstand why this would be a good picture to have. It’s not to “worry” about the battery - it’s to understand whether the initial capacity of the battery has changed relative to other prior year Model 3s. That’s the purpose, not to monitor the battery. It’s for science!

We all know batteries are going to degrade, it’s apparently a bit worse than Model S/X, but it’s not really anything to worry about for most people who fall in the middle of the distribution.

That being said, personally I’d always take these pictures (make sure your car is delivered with greater than 80% SoC) and do the calculations PRIOR to signing for the vehicle. There’s perhaps as much as 3% variance on initial capacity, and you may as well only take a vehicle that starts on the high side and is not showing loss of capacity when new! Initial capacity is likely well correlated with long term capacity trends. There’s little downside - just delay delivery if necessary!

Noticed this too. I think it's just a difference in how the date range is displayed. Maybe they just haven't rolled it out to desktop yet.

On mobile mine says "Oct 29 - Nov 26"
On desktop it says "5-9 weeks from order"

But if you do the math, my order date is Sept 24, plus 5-9 weeks is Oct 29 - Nov 26.

Basically just a different way of showing exactly the same information. I don't think it indicates anything about impending delivery.

On my laptop it says nothing about delivery estimate not even 5-9 weeks. It may be due to the fact I had a vin for 2020 ready to pick up, but I canceled and had my SA reorder when the 2021 changes appeared on Tesla website.

Use the phone browser to view the website.
I don't see any delivery date range or estimated delivery when logged into my Tesla account either with a desktop browser or iPhone (tried Chrome or Safari on both). I went to "MANAGE" under my account which is where I assume this info would appear? Let me know if I'm looking in the wrong place. I did check with my sales advisor (Josh at The Americana in Glendale, CA) and he said on his end my order shows as "eligible to get matched to a VIN" and that it "Might be a system update. The I.T departments usually make changes to the website so I’m guessing that might be the case". So I'm not going to worry about it. As of yesterday he also confirmed "A very few amount are getting matched but for the Model Y. No new model 3 vins yet". If historical Tesla quarterly delivery cycles apply, the West Coast is the last stop on the chain for deliveries so chances are our area will be waiting until closer to the end of the quarter. Patience is a virtue they say.

Reactions: dlm_M3
How do you get to the source code on a mobile device. On a computer, I right click on the “manage” page. How do I right click on an iPhone.

I looked on my computer at the source code and saw there was a div that is hidden on the desktop that is the mobile summary inside that there is the delivery estimate. I can see the delivery estimate if I make my browser window really narrow like a mobile phone