Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a buy back bid from Tesla for my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How and who do I talk at tesla to facilitate me getting a buy back bid for my X? I got it back after 5 months from a collision repair and I don't feel good in it anymore. The thought that any damage would mean parting with it for few months erases all the good feeling of driving it. I think I would wait for the whole body shop situation to settle down and then perhaps buy again.

So to all good folks here, how do I obtain a buy back quote? Drive up to the delivery store?

Why do you think that Tesla would or should buy it back? If you don't want it, sell it as you would any other car.

Because nearly all companies who sell new and used cars also buy used cars.

Companies make money selling both new and used cars.

Some folk do not want to dink with selling a car to the public, much like they do not enjoy getting a root canal.

Because nearly all companies who sell new and used cars also buy used cars.

Companies make money selling both new and used cars.

Some folk do not want to dink with selling a car to the public, much like they do not enjoy getting a root canal.
I believe the wording OP used makes it seem like he wants Tesla to buy it back at or near Purchase price...i.e. Lemon Law kinda stuff.

I believe the wording OP used makes it seem like he wants Tesla to buy it back at or near Purchase price...i.e. Lemon Law kinda stuff.

You had preconceived ideas of what the owner was going to say.

Read it again, word for word.

5 months to fix car. No longer feels good about having a car that takes 1/2 a year to repair. Wants to sell.

You had preconceived ideas of what the owner was going to say.

Read it again, word for word.

5 months to fix car. No longer feels good about having a car that takes 1/2 a year to repair. Wants to sell.
I just think he isn't going to be happy at the price, if any offer is made - all cars depreciate substantially in the first year & his car now has a collision history.

Reactions: Thax
Did you finance, lease, purchase with cash?

If you're talking about an actual buyback, a term usually reserved for things like lemon law or large recall (think TDI buyback) then I do you're going to get much traction. If the accident wasn't your fault look into making a diminished value claim.

If you mean you want to sell the car to Tesla unless you put a large down payment down or paid for it in cash you're likely to have negative equity and will owe some on top of after selling it.

If you leased it... ehh not much you can do to get out of that. You could trade it in for a new car and Tesla may give you a break on some of the negative equity but chances are they would just roll it into your new lease. You could also have someone assume the lease but that may prove tough with an accident onr ecord.

The "buy back" term is a bit confusing. Usually when used in context with a manufacturer this means a lemon law case or when the owner wants to buy out their lease.

I believe the OP probably is talking about simply selling the car to Tesla as a used car.

At least in FL, Tesla will honor a buy offer offer from Car Max even if it is higher than there offer. I'd go to Tesla to get a quote then go to Car Max. Many have reported higher offers from Car Max but that wasn't the case for me when I traded in my Range Rover.

YMMV

At least in FL, Tesla will honor a buy offer offer from Car Max even if it is higher than there offer. I'd go to Tesla to get a quote then go to Car Max. Many have reported higher offers from Car Max but that wasn't the case for me when I traded in my Range Rover.

YMMV
I think that's for trade ins. It doesn't necessarily apply for someone just wanting Tesla to buy their car.

Thanks all, sorry for the confusing wording. I was looking for a buy quote from Tesla at the current valuation. More like a trade-in quote but not buy another X as it would have same issues i am annoyed with my current car. It has diminished a great deal for sure, given a collision its now valued at 55%!! That's just too bad low balling given it was repaired at their own approved body shop and no structural damage. I had financed it and still owe good money to the bank. Looks like DMV is what I will need now. Will check with carmax too, but 55% with 5k on the odometer. Figure that.

Thanks for your responses so far, share me your DMV claim experiences, worth getting a lawyer to pursue the case?

More like a trade-in quote but not buy another X as it would have same issues i am annoyed with my current car. It has diminished a great deal for sure, given a collision its now valued at 55%!!

To put things in context, Tesla's valuations for Teslas have always been low-ball - except perhaps if you can get into a guaranteed residual type of scenario. Tesla's CPO process is such that it seems they often give better trade-in valuations for non-Teslas than Teslas. So some of that could be merely Tesla being Tesla.

So IMO, also ask around for a better quote as you said you would...