TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Getting a little concerned after reading threads on this forum

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ek993, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ek993

ek993 Member

I am an experienced car forum user for many years now and like to be part of the community for the cars I own - pistonheads.com, rennlist.com, bimmerpost.com, rangerovers.net, ferrarichat.com, jaguarforums.com to name a few

I ordered my Model X first then joined this forum. I have to say there seems to be an incredibly high percentage of worrying threads on here ranging from technical issues with the car, to build issues and customer service issues (I have experienced the customer service issues first hand since placing my order). And trust me, I have owned some cars with a reputation for bad reliability and customer service - Range Rover anyone??!! But this forum just seems to have an insanely high count of people reporting issues.

Am still super excited to pick up my X next week - as I want to be part of the future and love the technology. Just getting increasingly worried I am going to end up with a car that is half blue / half white with upside down trim that shudders when I press the accelerator pedal - and nobody will pick up the phone at Tesla when I need to get it all sorted out!!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

The Tesla forums are just very busy. Your Model X should be fine, I wouldn’t worry.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  3. spectrum

spectrum Member

A lot of Tesla buyers typically are disappointed for a few reasons, including the fact that they compare Tesla to luxury brands (Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, etc.) and get disappointed when their window squeaks or something. Tesla is not a luxury brand — you are paying for a highly-technologically advanced car first and foremost. Everything else is secondary.

That being said, I wouldn't worry and eventually, as you read through a lot of forum posts, you'll come back to the realization that complainers are actually a lot more vocal than those who are out and about, enjoying their Teslas.

• Like x 6
  4. Eclectic

Eclectic Banned

I think you have to take into account the pickiness of a lot of people who post here. I've owned lots of cars and have never gone over any of them at delivery other than to make sure I was getting the car that I paid for. I figure that the car is going to pick up nicks, dings, etc. and it's just not worth worrying about. With the two Teslas I've purchased I had no problems at delivery and very few problems in roughly 100,000 miles driving.

If you want a car that is perfect in every respect at delivery, maybe you have reason to be concerned. If you are ok with typical little things that happen to cars, you will likely be very pleased.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Seanjay

Seanjay Member

What's not reflected in each post about an issue is how much each owner really loves their X no matter what's wrong with it.

It's like the news: you never hear about all the planes that land safely and commuters who get home without being in an accident.

• Like x 3
  6. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I was worried. there were issues when picking up the car, but not bad enough to make me not accept delivery. I’ll trust the SC to resolve those issues. The car is pretty darn good. Nothing hugely wrong.

That being said, I would also look at where you’re going to be picking up the car and what the service center area looks like. Is it congested with a lot of people needing service? I think you’re also going to get varying answers depending on where you live.

I do think things are changing with the model 3 though becoming more common. The SCs are most likely getting flooded more than they used to, by a long shot.

Anyway, I would say don’t worry! I love my car. I’m still not used to it.

7. MyMidnight

MyMidnight Member

I was definitely nervous/hesitant as our delivery date arrived...and then we had the issue that took 3 weeks to fix...but driving my Model X 100d for now full 3 days....heaven...worth the aggravation...it is just an acceptance this car isn't perfect. But when I'm driving the car, it feels like I am gliding...it is just cool. I don't think the Model X is good for somebody who isn't flexible with its hangups that may cost time and money. It is a super fun geeky car.... nothing like it. I have drank the Koolaide.

• Like x 1
  8. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

It’s a lottery. Your odds are very good. May the odds always be in your favor....

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

part of this issue could simply be the fact that we tesla owners are lazy and don't search the forums that already discuss a certain topic...

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@ek993 ...I will leave you some numbers in future so u can reach out if u have issues :oops:

FWD issues 1 800 @outie
    Tesla Buybacks 1 877 @GayForEllon
    Service Center issues 1 888 @Barklikeadog

• Funny x 9
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#11 ChadS, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Yes, there are a lot of complaints here. This is the primary place people go to complain. But Tesla has sold about 300k cars...how many complaints are on this forum? Not all of them obviously, but in any event not enough to get a good idea of the problem rate. There is not enough data on the forums to draw conclusions (but a lot of people like to try).

While most complaints here are valid, some are imaginary and others are overblown for reasons other than the cars. I used to be on a VW board where people would very calmly discuss the cars breaking down in traffic due to electrical and fuel-line issues (both of which I experienced during my 40k miles in that VW, but I have never had a Tesla stop running in over 200k miles). Nothing like the volume and heat you see here over panel gaps, headliner material and user interface. You don't get a good sense of driving the cars from reading forums.

Tesla has a higher customer satisfaction rating than any other car. Every car maker has some unhappy customers, and some have more than others. But most buyers of all makes are happy. You most likely will be too.

I have purchased 5 Teslas and couldn't be happier with them.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. outie

outie Active Member

Some people always say only complainers go on forum to get vocal about the issues and you will see just as many of them at other car forums as well. I don’t agree because as you mentioned yourself the percentage is much higher in Tesla than other brands. I am on my second X now and both has had its fair number of issues. Call me unlucky but my personal experience with the brand is that their cars have more issues than others. However the issues have all been minor.

With that said, I am willing to deal with them because my family really likes the car, far more than my prior cars that had no issue (BMW M3, 535i, Mercedes E class, Porsche etc.) There’s just no competition out there at the moment for what the X offers.

Good luck!

• Informative x 1
  13. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

You'll be fine. Everyone likes to complain but people who are satisfied generally dont waste their time to go online and post "hey my car is ok" then disappear. Less than 1% of cars have issues.

• Like x 1
  14. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Pretty sure it's more than that, have you ever been to a service center? :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

I think that a couple ugly factors come together to help explain why the complain volume appears high here on this forum:

1. The incessant stock price warring between shorts and longs. So much here is shaded by this weird battle by people who care most about optics and investmentalist epistemology. Is every complaint legitimately from an owner? I don't know, but someone no doubt will feel obligated to try to spray-paint over it with a rainbow fart of a red herring anecdote or accusation.

2. Remarkably consistent poor customer service. If we took our X's in for service and our issues were resolved painlessly, then you wouldn't see so many complaints posted here. But loaners are hard to come by and sometimes owners have to shop their complaints to different service centers to get resolved -- completely unacceptable difficulties in this day and age, particularly at this price-point. Tesla often fights tooth and nail against fixing things. I don't know if this is top-down instructions or if it is the result of over-worked service departments trying to keep a manageable volume. In either case, it is a stupid dance that frustrates owners.

So we have the problems at the service centers and with sales communication that don't get resolved. People look for other people who have these problems. They come here. They post. The people from Group 1 then make a lot of noise. A new thread is started. Repeat. Authentic concerns are thus amplified by the poor communication and handling from Tesla and then the message-board twitter-traders just make it worse.

We all know the EV aspect of our cars is pretty much the most amazing car thing ever. But we aren't going to keep posting threads congratulating Tesla when we have to fight to get our AC fixed or fight to get our windshield to stop showing triple-vision or watch as each update fails to provide features, and so the **** on.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. sub

sub Active Member

If you're the type of person that thinks the sky is falling when even the most minor things go wrong in life, you will be a miserable Tesla owner (but most likely miserable all the time anyways). If you're someone that understands nothing is perfect, humans make mistakes, Tesla is a new and fast growing company and accept some of the issues that come up, you will love your Tesla.

You will see the above two types of responses To the exact same
    Problem by different owners. I fall in category 2, I've had minor issues that Tesla fixed, life went on.

• Like x 1
  17. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

^^^^
    Agree re: 1 but strongly disagree with your second comment.

In my family’s experience of owning 2 X’s and my son owning a March ‘18 3 series, we have found service to be outstanding (recent X is simply outstanding and is markedly better than our early X...it was delivered with no punch list items).

Dania Beach & Charlotte Centers and the rangers out of both Naples and Charlotte have been consistently good and appropriately responsive (then again, I treat all employees with respect and am not the type of client that needs to be updated every hour nor “demand” service).

FWIW: I’ve never failed to get a Tesla loaner.

• Like x 1
  18. dethman

dethman Member

I think it is quite established by now that tesla makes great tech in cars but still doesnt know how to make the cars themselves with a decent standard of quality.

Almost everyone has had at least one issue with their cars that they have had to have to go back to tesla to fix. They are just willing to overlook the problems because of the great tech and experience.

Like texasrat said, lower your expectations and you will be happy.

Its highly doubtful that your car will be a lemon, but 80% you will be in the service center in year 1 to get something fixed that should have been done right from the factory in the first place.

• Like x 3
  19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I’ve been on TMC for 5 years, have owned three Teslas and am about to own my fourth (have been driving 100% Tesla since mid 2014). I agree with the general tone of the responses in this thread to the OP. Don’t be deterred by heated threads about minor details or a particular bad experience. Tesla makes incredible cars with highly reliable cutting edge EV drivetrains, the highest energy density car batteries in the world, provides the only truly useful long distance high speed charging network, and relentlessly innovates and improves their products. The company also suffers from rapid growing pains and struggles to meet the incredibly ambitious goals that Musk sets for it. Sometimes the service experience falls short. Auto Pilot is amazing and also years behind the development schedule that Musk targeted. Some Superchargers are overcrowded but the vast majority work very well and there is no waiting.

After a decade of selling cars, Tesla still has no serious EV competitors; every other EV falls far short of what Tesla offers, in my opinion. The cars Tesla is selling today are an order of magnitude better than what they were selling just 5 years ago. Tesla has disrupted the auto industry and now every single car company is either selling EVs or has announced that they will be selling EVs in the near future. That change is entirely due to Tesla.

@ek993 post again when you get your X and have some miles on it. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 4
  20. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

After a decade of selling cars, Tesla should have the other *sugar* figured out by now. It cuts both ways.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1