Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a little concerned after reading threads on this forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a decade of selling cars, Tesla should have the other *sugar* figured out by now. It cuts both ways.

Nope. Not the same when you go from producing and selling 20,000 cars a year and trying to scale that to 20,000 per month and then 40,000 per month.

If *sugar* was so easy to figure out, why is Tesla even around? Why didn’t legacy auto just beat them already?

Reactions: Evoforce and P85_DA
Many people suffer from FIA (Fourm Induced Anxiety)

Everyone hopes their new car and the buying experience will be perfect, but many posts are from people complaining that the car does not meet their high expectations so everyone should worry.

For the most part, owners are very satisfied with their purchase. Some of the complainers can get very loud and vocal, which makes their posts stand out.

Very few new customers will take the time to post that their experience was as expected.

With around 7,000 vehicles being deliveried every week, some are bound to find flaws.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS and P85_DA
I am an experienced car forum user for many years now and like to be part of the community for the cars I own - pistonheads.com, rennlist.com, bimmerpost.com, rangerovers.net, ferrarichat.com, jaguarforums.com to name a few

I ordered my Model X first then joined this forum. I have to say there seems to be an incredibly high percentage of worrying threads on here ranging from technical issues with the car, to build issues and customer service issues (I have experienced the customer service issues first hand since placing my order). And trust me, I have owned some cars with a reputation for bad reliability and customer service - Range Rover anyone??!! But this forum just seems to have an insanely high count of people reporting issues.

Am still super excited to pick up my X next week - as I want to be part of the future and love the technology. Just getting increasingly worried I am going to end up with a car that is half blue / half white with upside down trim that shudders when I press the accelerator pedal - and nobody will pick up the phone at Tesla when I need to get it all sorted out!!

You will be fine. Tesla’s demographic has a proclivity towards whining in general. I see 30 unique Tesla’s easily just driving around town. If issues were as widespread as you’d believe and extrapolated worldwide, we’d run oun out of server space.

When you bring a paint depth sensor to delivery, Tesla is going to let you down.

You ever hear about crazy hot matrix? Tesla has a lot of hot.. but also a lot of crazy. Can’t live without it however.

End of the day, no one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla.

Don’t want one, don’t buy one. People kind of shut up because deep down there isn’t a better game in town and everyone knows they couldn’t beat Tesla anyway so you roll with it.

I’ve been a part of other enthusiast forums too and TMC is unique that you have people that don’t own Tesla’s, and don’t intend to own them but spend a significant percentage of their life hanging out here just to bag on them.

Tesla looks bad when it’s some people’s second or possibly first job to bash it constantly.

Last edited:
My delivery experience was far from flawless. My car was far from flawless too. It is unfortunate, but that's how it goes with the X. It's true that it's not for everyone. There is allure, but most people will back away once they see the bad that comes with the good.

I think if you can learn to look past minor defects that you won't even really see on a day-to-day basis, you're going to love the car. If you don't think you can do that, then you're better off refusing delivery.

I can only hope I maintain the path I'm claiming and be calm and collected about every issue that I run into with the car. So far, so good :D

BTW, most people don't have extreme attention to detail. I bet most people wouldn't even notice half of the issues complained about on this forum. Honestly, ignorance is bliss. Learn to be less anal and you'll be happier :p

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and ChadS
My delivery experience was far from flawless. My car was far from flawless too. It is unfortunate, but that's how it goes with the X. It's true that it's not for everyone. There is allure, but most people will back away once they see the bad that comes with the good.

I think if you can learn to look past minor defects that you won't even really see on a day-to-day basis, you're going to love the car. If you don't think you can do that, then you're better off refusing delivery.

I can only hope I maintain the path I'm claiming and be calm and collected about every issue that I run into with the car. So far, so good :D

BTW, most people don't have extreme attention to detail. I bet most people wouldn't even notice half of the issues complained about on this forum. Honestly, ignorance is bliss. Learn to be less anal and you'll be happier :p
"I just went to check on my car and noticed the same imperfection. Now I can't unseen it!"

While the OP should have some concern about any issues being reported on forums, forums comments should be put into perspective:
  • People with the most positive and most negative experiences are the most likely to report them on the forums
  • Most Tesla owners are very satisfied with their purchase, which is why Tesla has such a high customer loyalty rating
  • While some owners report issues, if there were widespread problems, we'd be seeing a lot more "me too" comments - which aren't happening
  • Tesla is now selling a lot of cars, and all manufacturers have a small percentage of issues
I purchased our first Tesla in early 2013 - and while there were some issues, compared to previous ICEs, it was the best car I've owned. And we've since bought an S 100D and X 100D - something we wouldn't have done if we had major concerns about Tesla's vehicles or support.

Reactions: X Fan
I want to point out one thing - many people who's had their cars re-purchased by Tesla end up with another Tesla, giving them another chance. I don't know what it's like for other brands. Just some food for thoughts.
It speaks to both the greatness of the EV aspect and the randomness of a getting a good one vs. a bad one.

Alos I adore that people think Tesla should get a pass on QC because of the greatness of the EV aspect, as if somehow it's just so hard for Tesla to do both. It's unfair... Poor, poor Ewon.

I'm actually pretty relaxed about minor cosmetic issues, some misaligned chrome time isn't a big deal - I won;t be heading to delivery with a 20 page checklist. Poor delivery experience doesn't bother me either. I can't think of a time that a salesperson / service adviser has known more about my car then I do! I picked up a new Jaguar F Type V8 when they were first launched and the guy handling delivery literally had no clue on any of its features! have already watched lots of videos on YouTube on how the X works. .

Out of all the issues I have read about on this forum, there is only one that is actually concerning me - the shuddering on acceleration as that is a mechanical issue that impacts how the car drives, requires visits to the SC to get the same part replaced multiple times and seemingly has no long term solution. Hopefully the talk of redesigned parts is true and this stops being a problem in the future.

You will be fine. Tesla’s demographic has a proclivity towards whining in general. I see 30 unique Tesla’s easily just driving around town. If issues were as widespread as you’d believe and extrapolated worldwide, we’d run oun out of server space.

When you bring a paint depth sensor to delivery, Tesla is going to let you down.

You ever hear about crazy hot matrix? Tesla has a lot of hot.. but also a lot of crazy. Can’t live without it however.

End of the day, no one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla.

Don’t want one, don’t buy one. People kind of shut up because deep down there isn’t a better game in town and everyone knows they couldn’t beat Tesla anyway so you roll with it.

I’ve been a part of other enthusiast forums too and TMC is unique that you have people that don’t own Tesla’s, and don’t intend to own them but spend a significant percentage of their life hanging out here just to bag on them.

Tesla looks bad when it’s some people’s second or possibly first job to bash it constantly.
@MXWing gets it - Tesla owners do fall into brackets in the Hot Crazy Matrix - ask any service writer - the more they hang out on the forums the worse the customer is to deal with. Before the Tesla purchase, who showed up at a dealership to pick up a new car with a paint depth sensor? or measuring tape? or a 15 page check list? (crazy MFer's)

When I bought mine, I was in an out in ten minutes on two of the three ( bought 1 used and I did inspect it). Be careful what you read on these forums and ask yourself Cui Bono? Some of the folks on here have agenda's... it will be obvious as you spend time here..

Here is the TESLA FORUM UNIVERSAL HOT CRAZY MATRIX:

The NO GO ZONE: (Stock Shorts, Seeking Alpha, Dealership Lobbyists, Oil Lobbyists, Eco-Terrorists, etc ) - fun to watch and taunt, but don't get too close, they are an angry bunch these days.
The FUN ZONE: (all newbies with less than two years of experience, line holders, people exploring buying a Tesla for the first time)
The DANGER ZONE: (These are they guys who post about putting mattresses in their car (ladies run away from these guys please) put their toddlers in front of the vehicle to show you how summons works, have dog crates in place of their passenger seats, live in their Tesla in a campground)
The DATE ZONE: (have owned one Tesla and are knowledgeable, but still learning)
The WIFE ZONE: (These are the balanced voices of reason who have owned more than two Tesla's or a combination of Roadster, MS, MX or 3, on the forums people like @bonnie, @MXWing and others who you should really go to if you want fact without drama or fiction.)
The UNICORN ZONE: (Owns a Tesla that has never be to an SC for some kinda of support - its a freaking car people, they all need service)

8fa76f92c4e6fdd5cfaca4dbbc2619fe.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up our model x a week ago. Only issue I had was the window wouldn't roll all the way up. Quick reset and that fixed it. If I was anal, I’m sure I could find some imperfection. I wasn't going to post anything about my delivery experience (because it would be boring). But wanted to confirm not all cars are falling apart.

Now, do I expect to never have issues. No. All automobiles can have issues.

I would never belittle other people’s issues. I would be annoyed too. But I really don’t think there are any comparable cars at the moment. We will see in the next few years.

I'm actually pretty relaxed about minor cosmetic issues, some misaligned chrome time isn't a big deal - I won;t be heading to delivery with a 20 page checklist. Poor delivery experience doesn't bother me either. I can't think of a time that a salesperson / service adviser has known more about my car then I do! I picked up a new Jaguar F Type V8 when they were first launched and the guy handling delivery literally had no clue on any of its features! have already watched lots of videos on YouTube on how the X works. .

Out of all the issues I have read about on this forum, there is only one that is actually concerning me - the shuddering on acceleration as that is a mechanical issue that impacts how the car drives, requires visits to the SC to get the same part replaced multiple times and seemingly has no long term solution. Hopefully the talk of redesigned parts is true and this stops being a problem in the future.

If that's you're only worry, then there is hope that it will be resolved by the time you first have to worry about it (if that actually comes to pass that is). Another forum post GREAT news for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder suggests there is hope on the horizon (finally). Additionally, I've heard one of the most recent firmware updates may have altered the acceleration profile when the suspension is set in Normal or above to reduce the strain on the front suspension, also reducing the chances this will be an issue. I've got mixed feelings about the software update - one the one hand, it may slightly reduce the level of fun when taking off (I've not seen this myself - have the car set in low all the time). And on the other hand, it's yet another win for Tesla that they can develop and roll out software changes that can fix/compensate for hardware limitations. I've had my front half shafts done twice since I purchased my X last September. I have no worries that they will continue to replace them should the need arise during the warranty period (and hopefully beyond given it's a design issue). But it seems likely that should I need another set, the next set will hopefully be the last.

@MXWing gets it - Tesla owners do fall into brackets in the Hot Crazy Matrix - ask any service writer - the more they hang out on the forums the worse the customer is to deal with. Before the Tesla purchase, who showed up at a dealership to pick up a new car with a paint depth sensor? or measuring tape? or a 15 page check list? (crazy MFer's)

When I bought mine, I was in an out in ten minutes on two of the three ( bought 1 used and I did inspect it). Be careful what you read on these forums and ask yourself Cui Bono? Some of the folks on here have agenda's... it will be obvious as you spend time here..

The NO GO ZONE: (Stock Shorts, Seeking Alpha, Dealership Lobbyists, Oil Lobbyists, Eco-Terrorists, etc ) - fun to watch and taunt, but don't get too close, they are an angry bunch these days.
The FUN ZONE: (all newbies with less than two years of experience, line holders, people exploring buying a Tesla for the first time)
The DANGER ZONE: (These are they guys who post about putting mattresses in their car (ladies run away from these guys please) put their toddlers in front of the vehicle to show you how summons works, have dog crates in place of their passenger seats, live in their Tesla in a campground)
The WIFE ZONE: (These are the balanced voices of reason who have owned more than two Tesla's or a combination of Roadster, MS, MX or 3, on the forums people like @bonnie, @MXWing and others who you should really go to if you want fact without drama or fiction.)
The UNICORN ZONE: (Owns a Tesla that has never be to an SC for some kinda of support - its a freaking car people, they all need service)

Holy *sugar* you had me DYING at “put their toddlers in front of their cars to show how summon works”.

Your ability to translate the hot crazy matrix over to Tesla’s is amazing. I’d be honored to get you a beer or two or six or twelve and we’ll let autopilot buddy + autosteer handle the driving afterwards. ;)

Are we talking about the same guy who created like 9 threads to complain about his new tesla? hahahaha. Like seriously, who takes a paint depth sensor to ANY car? I've owned like 7 and never once have even thought about doing that. I didn't even know a paint thickness sensor was a thing.

The 15 page checklist is also super hilarious. Nobody has time for that. Nobody is ordering a 100D and getting a 75D or vice versa. Nobody is getting a car with a different VIN number. Nobody is ordering a car with red paint and getting White. FFS lol.

Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing

My early build Model X is in the Date Zone... yes, it had some issues early on, but hasn't had any problems in over a year.
My early build Model 3 is in the mythical Unicorn Zone... it does not know what a service center is and may never need to go to one.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
I am an experienced car forum user for many years now and like to be part of the community for the cars I own - pistonheads.com, rennlist.com, bimmerpost.com, rangerovers.net, ferrarichat.com, jaguarforums.com to name a few

I ordered my Model X first then joined this forum. I have to say there seems to be an incredibly high percentage of worrying threads on here ranging from technical issues with the car, to build issues and customer service issues (I have experienced the customer service issues first hand since placing my order). And trust me, I have owned some cars with a reputation for bad reliability and customer service - Range Rover anyone??!! But this forum just seems to have an insanely high count of people reporting issues.

Am still super excited to pick up my X next week - as I want to be part of the future and love the technology. Just getting increasingly worried I am going to end up with a car that is half blue / half white with upside down trim that shudders when I press the accelerator pedal - and nobody will pick up the phone at Tesla when I need to get it all sorted out!!

Come now...... I've spent a bunch of time on a lot of the forums you mentioned. Sure, there is some drama here but nothing in comparison to some of the forums you mentioned :0

As for the X; I can not wait to hear your long term comments. I left the BMW family over four years ago and I am still amazed at the lack of interactions with fuel level and gas stations (apart from the one remaining petrol burner). Its always full in the AM and I very seldom go further in a day then the car will go. I simply do not look at the "gas gauge" any more unless I'm on a trip. So nice. Oh, and out of five cars we've really only had to deal with the rear motor cicada problem which was (and may still be) real. All the rest flies so far below the MB/BMW/Audi dealer/service crap level its not funny.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

I learned something the hard way on my delivery that I should have checked for better, which is FWD rubbing. I looked for alignment, but it's possible that the door is aligned, but closes weird, and chips out paint on its close. Several people have posted about it before, but that is one other thing I would look at, as that can be detrimental to your car as time goes on. I've only opened or closed the doors maybe 20 times, and it already gouged the paint pretty bad in one spot. Just open it and close it a few times to make sure that it closes without hitting the rest of the car.

other than that, I think you're entering the delivery with the right mindset.

• Helpful
Reactions: bayx
It speaks to both the greatness of the EV aspect and the randomness of a getting a good one vs. a bad one.

Alos I adore that people think Tesla should get a pass on QC because of the greatness of the EV aspect, as if somehow it's just so hard for Tesla to do both. It's unfair... Poor, poor Ewon.

Do you want to get rid of your Tesla? You must not ascribe a really high value to yours if you think it’s a complete POS.

When you think you have clever (but actually not) pet names for Tesla’s CEO - Ewon? Really? You are in the NO GO ZONE when it comes to reasonable advice.
Credit @Xenoilphobe

No one is saying to give Tesla a pass on anything.

You are just making some crazy assumptions that makes everything sour and nasty

-Tesla doesn't care about their QC issues.
-Owner's don't care about Tesla QC issues.
-Tesla isn't doing the best that they can.

AGAIN.. if Tesla was so pathetic.. GM (who went bankrupt already btw) would have had a sub 2 second EV Corvette and a nationwide high speed charging network to power it already.

You advertise and ENABLE "Ewon" everytime you get into that POS Tesla of yours btw. ;)