Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a little concerned after reading threads on this forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a decade of selling cars, Tesla should have the other *sugar* figured out by now. It cuts both ways.
Yes they should. But Tesla is still a very small car company compared to the top 5 or so companies that have been in business for about a century and who leave it to their independent dealerships to figure out how to deliver cars to customers and service them; they just focus on designing and building the cars. Tesla is trying to do it all, and it’s damn difficult for a new company to figure out how to be a success in the car business using a business model that no other company is using.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
In addition, there are a lot of engineering types about and you know how we feel about/prioritize things like service and documentation :) They are reinventing the car company on a shoe string. There are huge companies with all the resources in the world already up and running support structures that can not pull this stuff off. I think Tesla is doing a good job, warts and all.

Reactions: P85_DA
I am an experienced car forum user for many years now and like to be part of the community for the cars I own - pistonheads.com, rennlist.com, bimmerpost.com, rangerovers.net, ferrarichat.com, jaguarforums.com to name a few

I ordered my Model X first then joined this forum. I have to say there seems to be an incredibly high percentage of worrying threads on here ranging from technical issues with the car, to build issues and customer service issues (I have experienced the customer service issues first hand since placing my order). And trust me, I have owned some cars with a reputation for bad reliability and customer service - Range Rover anyone??!! But this forum just seems to have an insanely high count of people reporting issues.

Am still super excited to pick up my X next week - as I want to be part of the future and love the technology. Just getting increasingly worried I am going to end up with a car that is half blue / half white with upside down trim that shudders when I press the accelerator pedal - and nobody will pick up the phone at Tesla when I need to get it all sorted out!!

Well my 2016 BMW X3 stranded me out of the car 5 times in 3 weeks after delivery. The interior squeaks and rattles. The rear lift gate sometime decides not work. The car will somedays not power off until 15 minutes until after I pressed the off button. And the battery as died. Luckily it goes back in November and has been under warranty the entire time. You can see mine and other post on each one of these issues on bimmerfest.com.

Bottom line, look deep enough at any high end car forum and you can find more than enough in there to convince yourself that they are are all POS.

rangerovers.net, ferrarichat.com, jaguarforums.com to name a few
LOL you have little to worry about compared to these junkers. I see new range rover sports every week on the side of the road with the hood up, Ferraris love to spontaneously combust and old jags are rust held together by paint.

If you do have an issue that what warranty is for, like every other car.

I love our X, so let’s just have that be said.

But for example, I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for a FWD seal so I can open the passenger FWD and not have a cup of water pour on the seat. Basically we just don’t use that door in the rain until the new seal is installed. 3 weeks I’ve been waiting. Friday and Monday I’ve left 2 voice mail messages and a text message to the service associate with no return communication. I’ve not pestered the SC before this but had to reach out because originally they had estimated 3-5 days.

This was an issue found a few days after delivery. The SC I took delivery from originally told me they could reproduce it but that’s just how it is, no way to fix it. Then another SC told me the seal was installed poorly and they can fix it.

So not a big deal, the car is awesome and all but just glad I’m not waiting on a critical part. But come on, at least return the voice mails & text messages. Meanwhile, loving the car everyday. Get this one thing fixed and pretty sure we’ll be in the clear.

Reactions: Evoforce
I'm actually pretty relaxed about minor cosmetic issues, some misaligned chrome time isn't a big deal - I won;t be heading to delivery with a 20 page checklist. Poor delivery experience doesn't bother me either. I can't think of a time that a salesperson / service adviser has known more about my car then I do! I picked up a new Jaguar F Type V8 when they were first launched and the guy handling delivery literally had no clue on any of its features! have already watched lots of videos on YouTube on how the X works. .

Out of all the issues I have read about on this forum, there is only one that is actually concerning me - the shuddering on acceleration as that is a mechanical issue that impacts how the car drives, requires visits to the SC to get the same part replaced multiple times and seemingly has no long term solution. Hopefully the talk of redesigned parts is true and this stops being a problem in the future.

Agree, shuddering is my main concern too. I can live with minor build defects except perhaps paint issues like the one that @TexasRat has had. I also ordered a blue, so any such issue will show clearly on such colors.

Well my 2016 BMW X3 stranded me out of the car 5 times in 3 weeks after delivery. The interior squeaks and rattles. The rear lift gate sometime decides not work. The car will somedays not power off until 15 minutes until after I pressed the off button. And the battery as died. Luckily it goes back in November and has been under warranty the entire time. You can see mine and other post on each one of these issues on bimmerfest.com.

Bottom line, look deep enough at any high end car forum and you can find more than enough in there to convince yourself that they are are all POS.
My BMW i3 was one of the worst cars I had from a reliability standpoint. The dealing with the dealer made it even worse.

Reactions: jboy210
You will be fine. Tesla’s demographic has a proclivity towards whining in general. I see 30 unique Tesla’s easily just driving around town. If issues were as widespread as you’d believe and extrapolated worldwide, we’d run oun out of server space.

When you bring a paint depth sensor to delivery, Tesla is going to let you down.

You ever hear about crazy hot matrix? Tesla has a lot of hot.. but also a lot of crazy. Can’t live without it however.

End of the day, no one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla.

Don’t want one, don’t buy one. People kind of shut up because deep down there isn’t a better game in town and everyone knows they couldn’t beat Tesla anyway so you roll with it.

I’ve been a part of other enthusiast forums too and TMC is unique that you have people that don’t own Tesla’s, and don’t intend to own them but spend a significant percentage of their life hanging out here just to bag on them.

Tesla looks bad when it’s some people’s second or possibly first job to bash it constantly.
This is soooo true. I usually chalk it up to jealousy and short sellers trying to scare off the lemmings.
All in all, as one poster so elegantly put it, If you are buying a Tesla because 'IT IS' the very best EV made, congratulations!! you have scored big. But. if you are buying a Tesla because it is a luxury automobile, you probably will have 'some' buyers remorse.
Tesla's have some of the very best EV technology there is. I defy anyone to up their game.
So, if you have done your homework and are sure of why you want the Tesla brand of EV, over anyone else's, then you won't be disappointed. But if the coach works means everything to you, the X, may (and I really doubt it), have you willing to accept the small things.
FWIW, our 85D is like our favorite grandchild, sometimes we scratch our heads, but then, we are always Grinnin'

LOL you have little to worry about compared to these junkers. I see new range rover sports every week on the side of the road with the hood up, Ferraris love to spontaneously combust and old jags are rust held together by paint.

If you do have an issue that what warranty is for, like every other car.
I stole this from the ICE cars are dangerous thread.

Reactions: jboy210
I have a recall notice for our 2011 BMW 335d, can't park it in the garage because it may burn our house down. Lucky for me I haven't had to deal with it since it's been at my local mechanic for 6 weeks trying to get a turbo issue fixed. This is after I spent 3k on emissions repairs in the last 6-9 months. It's my daughters car now, for an ICE I love the diesel and I keep thinking after I fix something it would be stupid to get rid of it, then it breaks again. It really pisses me off because I read on the interwebs that all car manufacturers are flawless except Tesla, and none of them catch fire. I think I was duped!

"... and I keep thinking after I fix something it would be stupid to get rid of it, then it breaks again."

I had a Corvette that was exactly like that. Kept it for four years thinking the problems have to quit and my spouse kept shaking her head wondering just how big an idiot she married. That Vette was confused, thought it was a BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand). My Vette had all kinds of fit and finish problems that I ignored when I purchased it. Every repair ran over $1000, even a lousy fan belt cost me over $1000. In those four years, there was not one month that the Vette managed to avoid going in the shop.

A couple cars later, I purchased a turbocharged Mazda Speed 6. Crazy fast. Good looking. It was ALSO in the shop monthly. The engineering of that car was pathetic. Mazda service was awful. The company did not seem to care that their car was horribly designed.

In between the Vette and the Mazda 6, I had Cadillacs. I was on a first name basis with the Service Advisor for each Cadillac.

There are lots of high end, really poorly executed cars out there. You can expect perfection - but good luck with that.

So when I read that post from the person that brought a paint thickness gauge to the dealership to 'vet' his X, I couldn't believe what a thoroughly unpleasant wackster that guy was. Seriously, measure the paint thickness and then justify it by saying any future buyer will do the same thing? Dude - go give your attitude to a BMW dealer (a good friend worked at BMW service - the stories he told!) and leave poor Tesla alone.

I'm not expecting my (hopefully) soon-to-be built X to be perfect. I do hope it will be reliable, I'm sure it will be cool as can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: jelloslug
F156E257-CC02-40DF-940B-6B0345A7ECD1.jpeg
One week into owning my 135i, it suffered from the common high pressure fuel valve issue. All cars have some *sugar* to deal with.