Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a new Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys new guy here.

I am getting my first Tesla this 21st and I am eager to drive it already! But i had one question for you.

I heard that only the new Teslas would have the new autonomous driving update and other little tweaks but if you had older models it would not work with this update so I was wondering if mine would have it? Building process started October the 10th.

Thanks

With that build date, you should be getting AP2 hardware - 8 cameras, liquid cooled supercomputer in the dash, eventuality capable of self driving.

The downside is that you won't have any Autopilot features on delivery - Tesla had to start over when they left Mobileye and doesn't have their neural net fully sorted yet. You should get those features in December I believe.

It is said that the factory shutdown first week of October for retooling so logically anything built in October gets new hardware. However, wouldn't you have received email from tesla regarding the new AP upgrades? I read people were getting emails to pay for EAP if they want to.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It says hardware 1 and i have not received any ap upgrade option. Looks like im stuck with the old version

Sorry to hear that. But it does back up what I heard about the dates.

You do have the option of cancelling, forfeiting your deposit, and placing a new order. It just depends on how much the new AP hardware is worth to you vs. having your Model X sooner.

Sorry to hear that. But it does back up what I heard about the dates.

You do have the option of cancelling, forfeiting your deposit, and placing a new order. It just depends on how much the new AP hardware is worth to you vs. having your Model X sooner.
I guess its not worth it to cancell and do everything again, it would be have been nice if they would at least give a discount since its an "older" model.

Reactions: Eclectic
I guess its not worth it to cancell and do everything again, it would be have been nice if they would at least give a discount since its an "older" model.

There are no discounts really, just when there is some mileage really still are the only cases. If you look at all the inventory cars out there really, mostly all AP1 hardware, and still very minor discounts if any depending on mileage, say 500 - 1500 miles in general.

The AP2 hardware cost more to activate enhanced Autopilot, and self driving is more as well (but could always activate that later since may be a while). Due to this, why offer updates on AP1 hardware when it still functions well, and does what you pay for (less).