Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a Roadster from Maryland to California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Timbrewer

Roadster Signature #29
Jul 7, 2013
Greenbelt, MD, USA
Recently found out I will be moving to CA for my job from MD, and I'd like to have my roadster out in LA but doubt I could drive it across the USA:). I'm asking Tesla who they used to ship it from CA to MD….but I also wondered if anyone had driven or towed a roadster long distances on the interstate system….

Tim

I sold my Roadster (through a 3rd party) to a buyer across the country. The dealer shipped it on a large truck with other cars that were changing locations. I know the dealer did not buy all the space on the truck. I'm sure you can find a similar service somewhere.

> I also wondered if anyone had driven or towed a roadster long distances on the interstate system [Timbrewer]

You need a dual axle 16 ft flatbed; UHaul's aluminum ones are great and have nice self-contained hydraulic inertia brakes. Roadster tows effortlessly behind any 3/4 ton pickup but keep in mind that it is there behind you! The Interstates allow you to go your own speed without much interaction with other traffic. Photo shows a good simple tie down method. No, the spokes won't break as just enough tension is required to keep the ratchets from flopping around in the wind. Roadster with parking brake ON does not move on flatbed. Can also back onto trailer which gives more tongue weight but I found sufficient tw this way. Use 4 tie downs, not just 2.

roadster.strap.jpg

You have many options.

1. Drive it - probably take 6-7 days. You would be lucky to drive more than 400 miles per day.
2. Rent a U-Haul trailer. You will need a vehicle that can tow at least 5,000 lbs. I have my own Featherlight trailer and have towed the nearly 1,000 miles between homes numerous times. Gas mileage sucks - instead of 16 mpg I get 13 mpg. My wild ass guess is that U-Haul trailer rental with one-way drop off would cost about $750.
3. There are numerous car transport companies and most offer open and enclosed transportation. Pick up and delivery can be from door to door. My wild ass guess - you are looking at $2,500.

Good luck

If you decide to go the route of a transport company, check the rating of the company before signing up (see www.transportreviews.com or similar). Keep in mind that most of the companies out there are really transport brokers who don't own or operate their own trucks, but just arrange transport on someone else's equipment. Some companies both operate their own equipment and act as brokers for some routes. Some companies will also pick up cars and consolidate various shipments in a yard to transport later most efficiently (for them).

For these reasons, I've tried to stick with smaller companies that mostly use their own equipment, transport smaller loads, and do more or less straight shots to the destination. I also prefer enclosed transport for obvious reasons. These choices don't come free though. For my last transport from NY to KC, the hardest thing was getting the car picked up (took two weeks this time). Once pickup occurred, I had the car in two days.

Rafael de Mestre drove his across the world - http://www.1e-race.com/ so across the US is a picnic ;)

Recently found out I will be moving to CA for my job from MD, and I'd like to have my roadster out in LA but doubt I could drive it across the USA:). I'm asking Tesla who they used to ship it from CA to MD….but I also wondered if anyone had driven or towed a roadster long distances on the interstate system….

Tim

you can try uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
. Its kind of like ebay for trucking - you put out what you think its worth (look at similar hauls in the past) and truckers will bid toward it. Don't offer too much to begin with ;-)

Also, make sure to select enclosed trailer!

You may also see your Roadster on the show Shipping Wars if you go this route and depending on who won the bid you may want close one eye and ear if it does ;) I used uShip twice, first time was for a truck bed to get shipped from Montana to Cali. That went well, the second time was for 2 Jet kayaks from Florida to Cali, that time I wasn't impressed where both kayaks were not wrapped/protected during transport and got damaged. Also the boat and trailer he was bringing back to a person in California got damaged by my kayaks as well. So in order to make the most money / reduce cost they will pack other things with your stuff in most cases so be aware.

Plycar was recommended to me by Tesla. I used them to bring my roadster from Washington DC to Texas. I believe it cost $1600 and was delivered in a closed transport with 2 Ferrari's and a Porsche. They were fast and very professional. I would not take risk to save $500 on an alternative method.