Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a used Tesla, deciding between years VS budget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I've been looking into Tesla for a couple months now , finally settled on getting a used Model S and adding the Jump Seats to it (if it doesn't already have it)

I'm stuck between 2 options and I've had a hard time tracking the various options and upgrades that happened during this time frame, the quality of the build and need for an extended warranty, etc.

Basically, I'm looking at the following 2 options:

2014-2015 P85D - no extended warranty available from Tesla, but can find really low miles, like 30-40k, for around $55k

2017-2018 75D - might qualify for their extended service contract, lose out on some battery and performance, and pay a premium for the lower miles options, so in my budget I'd probably have to get something with 90k+ miles.

I don't have a good sense of what these additional miles do to the car (normal wear and tear as well as battery degradation) VS the later production quality and features.

What would you choose and why?

Hi everyone,
I've been looking into Tesla for a couple months now , finally settled on getting a used Model S and adding the Jump Seats to it (if it doesn't already have it)

I'm stuck between 2 options and I've had a hard time tracking the various options and upgrades that happened during this time frame, the quality of the build and need for an extended warranty, etc.

Basically, I'm looking at the following 2 options:

2014-2015 P85D - no extended warranty available from Tesla, but can find really low miles, like 30-40k, for around $55k

2017-2018 75D - might qualify for their extended service contract, lose out on some battery and performance, and pay a premium for the lower miles options, so in my budget I'd probably have to get something with 90k+ miles.

I don't have a good sense of what these additional miles do to the car (normal wear and tear as well as battery degradation) VS the later production quality and features.

What would you choose and why?
I would only consider unlimited supercharging cars with upgraded MCU's, and cars with the unlimited mileage 8 year battery warranty (pre 2019). Ask the owner to screen shot their warranty data in the App so you can see when it actually expires and if it really has unlimited supercharging.

Upvote 0
While waiting for our Rivian to deliver (guessing a couple of years), we recently purchsed a gently used 2017 90D to test EV life and the whole family is loving it! Also on a budget and not a big fan of the looks of the X or Y, I've always liked the S but can't afford/justify it's new car price. While doing my research I found some interesting selling points of a used S that made it worthwhile for me.
  • I wanted the biggest battery I could a afford. The advertised maximun range is a little deceptive, it's not recommended to keep it at 100% charge except for trips, and then charge time increases once >80% so don't expect 294 miles from a 90D on every charge, plus HVAC usage, plus going faster than the speed limit, etc...
  • 2016-17 to make sure it had plenty of drivetrain warranty remaining.
  • Tesla offered an extended "B2B" warranty from 2012-2020, I decided I needed that since the repairs can get very expensive. It's a $200 deductible per visit. - Extended Service Agreement
  • Free unlimited connectivity - $120/year value
  • Free unlimited supercharging - up to early 2017 should be transferrable as long as a dealer did't have it removed
  • FSD computer - I didn't even think I cared about this option but it's amazing and ultimately I believe Tesla is a tech/AI company and we're all just beta testers, but without Enhanced Autopilot, you just have a cool looking EV. Mine doesn't have the $6k or $99/month FSD software, but as I understand it there isn't much differnace. I suppose I can try if for a month but the previous owner tried it and didn't think it was worth it either.
  • MCU2 (original or upgraded) - I've read the original is very buggy and at times unusably slow.
There is a sweet spot or "unicorn" where you can find 2016-2017 with the upgraded autopilot hardware and unlimited transferable supercharging. I missed out on the supercharging but around town I have yet to charge it other than at home.

Take your time and test drive many, I shopped local but most dealers don't know what they're selling. I really wanted a P85D or faster but they're painfully quick and every one I drove felt beat up. A non P is still way quicker than anything I've driven on 4 wheels. So utimatly I fould a one owner car on a Tesla only used car website. This owner was knowledgeable about his vehicle and took good care of it, when you buy from a dealer, you can loose that information, and some valuable features. We don't regret out used MS purchase, so Best of Luck!
This.. @bagsofcole knows what is of value and really matters, I would drop FSD, I call it Full of Sheetz Drive..

Upvote 0
My car is approaching 6 years old. It’s been 100% reliable over 140,000 miles.

Tesla learned a lot between 2012 and 2016.
That's great and I do hope things continue that way for you. We loved our model S. Few to no issues and a dream to drive, but at 6 years old it started slowly imploding. :( After this experience, with the battery failing, needing a new drive train, bi-monthly visits to the service center, i'm going to need some real convincing that owning a Tesla that's more than 6 years old is worth it. I guess time will tell during these next few years.

Upvote 0
I would not, under any circumstances, buy or keep a Tesla that is more than 6 years old. The experience with our 2013 Model S has been very informative.

My car is approaching 6 years old. It’s been 100% reliable over 140,000 miles.

Tesla learned a lot between 2012 and 2016.

I think this is the key message. 2012-2015ish appears to be a higher long term risk. 2016+, much more reliable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There should be some caution about the logic that “after _ years they tend to need expensive repairs”. Even if that is true, and there were some sensible threshold of age when it made sense to sell to the hypothetical fool who doesn’t know this truism (implausible), what was true of a past model year range (say 2014) might well not be true of a later model year range (2018, in my case).

I get the sense here that a few people had bad experiences that make them a little irrational about their advice, adopting the fallacy that what happens to oneself is typical and an important example to others, as opposed to mostly bad luck.

Im fine if some insist they would never even keep a perfectly good car past warranty (or some other date threshold) out of fear of repair costs, but on average that is a poor financial basis for the decision. Spending $50k out of fear of a small chance of needing to spend $20k isn’t rational. Granted it’s perfectly nice to buy yourself a new luxury car more often but don’t pretend it’s the frugal financial choice.

Upvote 0
I get the sense here that a few people had bad experiences that make them a little irrational about their advice, adopting the fallacy that what happens to oneself is typical and an important example to others, as opposed to mostly bad luck.
This is wishful thinking, however I do agree with you that it's possible later cars will be more reliable. Only time will tell. The verdict is in on the older cars, however. Reliability isn't good. Tesla earned their place on the least reliable lists.

Upvote 0
I would not, under any circumstances, buy or keep a Tesla that is more than 6 years old. The experience with our 2013 Model S has been very informative.
Once the early drive unit, HV battery and early production issues have been resolved the 2013 car is a keeper from my experience. But you have to know the history of the pre-owned Tesla to make a good judgement before purchase on the earlier ones for sure.

Reactions: VegarHenriksen
Upvote 0
Once the early drive unit, HV battery and early production issues have been resolved the 2013 car is a keeper from my experience. But you have to know the history of the pre-owned Tesla to make a good judgement before purchase on the earlier ones for sure.
what are the "early production issues" besides the door handles? i'd like to know what else we have to look forward to! lol.

Upvote 0
What does "almost a raven mean"?

I thought the raven platform was a lot of under the hood changes, no?
I mean even with a MCU2 upgrade of a 2017 model, a 2021 Model S isn't the same.

The 2021 model is more efficient and has one pedal driving (and of course a 2021 is still under warranty. Those matters aside, it's hard to think of any material differences and so, in respect of value for money for those who are financially constrained, a 2017 face lifted version with MCU upgrade in my opinion is quite the bargain.

Reactions: cellphonechris
Upvote 0

The 2021 model is more efficient and has one pedal driving (and of course a 2021 is still under warranty. Those matters aside, it's hard to think of any material differences and so, in respect of value for money for those who are financially constrained, a 2017 face lifted version with MCU upgrade in my opinion is quite the bargain.

And you can get the sunroof too :)

Upvote 0

I got a CPO Model S when I sold my Model 3. This was a few weeks before the 4 year CPO warranty ended. I do agree the Sept 2017 and on seem to be better value (updated camera, nose cone, uncorked). Having said that with the reduced warranty from Tesla it might be worth going for a new model Y (if the timeline isn't years out) versus used Model S.

Upvote 0