Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting alert to use >32gb drive with Tesla 128gb drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting an alert, UI_A109, Staining to use a drive larger than 32GB when using the supplied 128gb Tesla Drive. Ever ready to leave the clips and formatted to drive and also confirm that it's formatted to 128gb by plugging it into a PC so I'm not really sure why the unit keeps thinking it's less than 32 gigs.

Any thoughts?

The Samsung 128GB USB thumb drive that comes with every new Tesla vehicle is not optimal for video recording. Typically this type of storage device will fail within less than 1 year when subjected to a high volume of read/write operations. A better option would be a microSD card, one that is an Endurance type storage device as these are designed for video applications such as surveillance and dashcam use. Samsung sells a PRO Endurance 128GB microSD card. Sandisk sells a High Endurance microSD card in 128GB and 256GB. Sandisk also sells a Max Endurance card with an even higher lifetime read/write longevity, probably longer than you would own your Tesla vehicle. You will need a USB reader. The Sandisk MobileMate reader has proven to be reliable.

Yeah I used various higher quality usb flash drives for a while and they all had problems of some type at various times.

My USB SD card adapter and my crazy high performance SD card have been flawless.

Lots of people like those T5 and T7 SSD drives and the performance is quite good. But I e also seen a number of people having problems as well.

To each their own.

Yeah I used various higher quality usb flash drives for a while and they all had problems of some type at various times.

My USB SD card adapter and my crazy high performance SD card have been flawless.

Lots of people like those T5 and T7 SSD drives and the performance is quite good. But I e also seen a number of people having problems as well.

To each their own.
What type are you using?

What type are you using?

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card

SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader

Both are still for sale these days but I would expect even higher spec products now. Combo is $48 for both on Amazon.

FYI i went with the 256 as the lower capacities has slightly lower performance for the same type of card. Plus I wanted extra space if needed it down the road and to minimize the number of rewrites

Last edited:
The 128G Tesla USB stick that came with my S failed after a month. They replaced it with the same under warranty, so far so good but then again I am only 2 months into the new one. The Y did not come with one so I installed a 500g T5 drive. Has been rock solid for over a year. May need to do the same on the S depending on longevity.

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card

SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader

Both are still for sale these days but I would expect even higher spec products now. Combo is $48 for both on Amazon.

FYI i went with the 256 as the lower capacities has slightly lower performance for the same type of card. Plus I wanted extra space if needed it down the road and to minimize the number of rewrites
how do one get combo offer?

I got a Samsung T7 and the only problem I have is that, after a while, the more videos it has stored on it, the slower the dashcam app gets. As soon as I clear out the videos, the app speeds up again. So, be mindful of that when you're buying whatever storage medium you choose -- larger isn't always better as it slows down considerably after a few hundred videos have accumulated.

EDIT: By slow, I mean it takes a VERY long time to open the dashcam app and start playback of sentry videos etc. Once I wait the minute or so (seriously) it takes for the app to open with all these stored videos, everything runs more or less normally.

I've never formatted the tesla USB drive before but if you did it through a windows computer, sometimes the native formatting tool is restricted and will end up only formatting up to a tiny amount of disk space (<32gb). The drive might show as only being 29GB or something like that and the rest of the space is unallocated and cannot be recognized with the current config. The windows native formatting tool was developed way back in the day when 1gb was huge and 32gb would have been insane overkill by any measure.
Try looking up specific tools to format HC (high capacity) or XC (extra capacity) USB drives which will allow you to format the entire thing properly.

The car recognized it but wouldn't read or write anymore. The format option in the car would not work. It just gave an error each time. I formatted on the computer instead and dropped in the proper folders.

Put it back in the card and working fine.

I tried this with various other storage devices and got the same result. The car wouldn't format any of them.

Could be a bug with certain versions of the car firmware.

The car recognized it but wouldn't read or write anymore. The format option in the car would not work. It just gave an error each time. I formatted on the computer instead and dropped in the proper folders.

Put it back in the card and working fine.

I tried this with various other storage devices and got the same result. The car wouldn't format any of them.

Could be a bug with certain versions of the car firmware.
Make sure there are no other USB devices plugged-in. I couldn't format the card when I had both USB stick and memory card plugged in. 3rd party hub could interfere as well.

Might be a shot in the dark but... any chance you have one of the cars that had shipped without the console USBs? Maybe you think you're plugged in but actually it's an empty hole... unlikely but crazier things have happened.

No, thats not the case. As mentioned it worked fine up till recently - recording and playing back. And when formatted on the computer it works as well. The car asked if I want to format it when inserted, and doesn't ask to format when not inserted.

Formatting on the PC works. And the car will recognize it, read, and write just fine.

Formatting on the Car doesn't. It asks to format but just gives an error each time.