Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting an EV has halved my electricity bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I know that the world is a strange place at the moment, and that current prices don't reflect the norm.

But this is one benefit I hadn't anticipated - lower electricity bills o_O
I regarded myself as a pretty savvy consumer, changing electricity supplier every 6-12 months according to MSE's comparison site. The time-of-use tariffs were, I thought, of no use to me...how wrong I was.
Our family are heavy users of electrons as we have no gas to the household, an air source heat-pump, and solar hot water boosted by an immersion. The Octopus Agile tariff has more than halved my costs, mainly due to the rates, but partly due to better awareness and strategies. I expect in 'normal' times, this may have been nearer a 25% saving.
All this despite using even more electrons on the old Model 3!

I fear I am boring my friends to death on this topic

If only Octopus would install my f’ing Smart meter. Ordered Octopus Agile in 2nd week of Jan....
Ash, Try asking them to put you on the trackerV1 rate whilst you wait for your smart meter. They did this for me last month and backdated all my bills to the point where I joined Octopus in January. £120 in the bank after coming off the green fixed tariff. And they said if it wasn't cheaper I could revert to the green fixed rate!!
Fantastic customer service!!

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and Mark_T
As power usages goes back to normal, so will agile rates inevitably go up.
Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Surely renewable energy generation also has a part to play. I've been astounded by how much difference some sun makes to our grid energy usage in recent weeks.

Looking at the weather report our electricity bill this month will be mainly standing charge costs!!! Thats with still using the car every day for a 10 mile commute/shops. The car is now at 90% SOC every day, and am even able to turn the gas boiler off for water heating instead using excess solar PV.

I can only imagine how little grid electricity people with larger solar PV or better positioned solar PV set ups are getting.

It really is mad the government is still slow to invest in renewable energy generation, it's free energy once the capital cost is dealt with, versus endless on going costs of traditional electricity generation method.

49915065648_cb910bc4d1_k_d.jpg

If only Octopus would install my f’ing Smart meter. Ordered Octopus Agile in 2nd week of Jan....

I am on the same boat, but since I don't drive much now it's ok-ish.

I have ordered smart meeter install from them at the end of January. Had it booked after giving them call few times, booked for end of march... Of course this was cancelled. Called them complained (officially) they came back to me.

Now,a to octopus I am the beginning of the queue. They also gave me £30 compensation and put me on tariff that charges about 2p less than my previous one.