Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting billed for using a normal looking wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if a non-Tesla EV using a TeslaTap/Tesla-to-j1772 adapter plugged into this HPWC?
The wall connector shows blue - communicating and hangs. Does not get to the green light - charging.
There was recently a new Tesla owner who bought a used Tesla that did not yet have billing ability because he had to wait for the title to transfer, and he ended up having to have the car towed to his out of town destination because he could not supercharge. I wonder what would happen if he had tried to use this charger.
This functions just like a supercharger, car needs to have billing enabled.
But there are many free destination chargers on the Tesla Navigation map.

Sounds like fake news.
Drive to a nearby destination charger before running out.
Use the J1772 adapter and charge at a third party charger.
Use the mobile connector in the car.

Reactions: kayak1
I would have been surprised by the charges too but now that it’s known Tesla WCs have billing enabled we shouldn’t be.
it would be courteous for property manager to have a sign up, but not mandatory- it is their property.
Now that the WCs are enabled to bill, I’m not sure what Tesla should do differently than they did here. An app notice in advance would be a nice courtesy but I don’t see how Tesla is obligated to send one.

Reactions: techzelle
It was 25 cents per "something", then 6 of those, for $1.50 total.
If I were the owner of one of these, I'd want to be able to either charge by kW but be able to add idle fees, or charge by time. This would dissuade anyone from staying connected after getting a full charge.

Since this is a Level 2 charger, time would usually map linearly to kW, so time would work if you didn't want higher or lower idle fees.

The wall connector shows blue - communicating and hangs. Does not get to the green light - charging.

This functions just like a supercharger, car needs to have billing enabled.
But there are many free destination chargers on the Tesla Navigation map.

Sounds like fake news.
Drive to a nearby destination charger before running out.
Use the J1772 adapter and charge at a third party charger.
Use the mobile connector in the car.
The problem this guy had was he lived a pretty long distance from where he picked up the car, and the destination chargers were so slow it was going to take too long to get home. He was actually trying to find someone in the area to help in some way. Being a new owner, he didn't know about the problem until it was too late.

Makes me wonder, though, about how Tesla handles the supercharger payments. I don't see why someone with a Tesla account can't add their own credit card to their account, and use it when they drive any Tesla to recharge. My grown son often borrows ours to visit his girlfriend, putting over 100 miles on the car each time. He would like to be able to recharge the car on his dime, but can't.

Makes me wonder, though, about how Tesla handles the supercharger payments. I don't see why someone with a Tesla account can't add their own credit card to their account, and use it when they drive any Tesla to recharge.
I would guess you have heard that Tesla is opening Superchargers to non-Tesla owners. No in U.S. yet, I think. Members of my local club were in a virtual meeting with members of the Supercharger Team not too long ago. We were told that non-Tesla EVs owners would need to create a Tesla account to use the Superchargers. They would enter a CC into the account for the charge. The conversation did not go into depth of how the non-Tesla EV owners would "connect the dots" between their account and their non-Tesla.

But I would think that for someone charging a Tesla that was not registered to Tesla as their car, such as a rental, or borrowed, would likely be required to enter the Tesla's VIN. Then I would think the Tesla monthership would validate that VIN as the VIN on that car plugged in. But only guessing.

I would guess you have heard that Tesla is opening Superchargers to non-Tesla owners. No in U.S. yet, I think. Members of my local club were in a virtual meeting with members of the Supercharger Team not too long ago. We were told that non-Tesla EVs owners would need to create a Tesla account to use the Superchargers. They would enter a CC into the account for the charge. The conversation did not go into depth of how the non-Tesla EV owners would "connect the dots" between their account and their non-Tesla.

But I would think that for someone charging a Tesla that was not registered to Tesla as their car, such as a rental, or borrowed, would likely be required to enter the Tesla's VIN. Then I would think the Tesla monthership would validate that VIN as the VIN on that car plugged in. But only guessing.

It works like this:

Pretty slick setup.
  • download Tesla app
  • add billing information
  • find a supercharger station
  • in the app, select which stall you want to use
  • plug your car in
Did the team give you any idea of timeline for the US?

I don't think that going to happen anytime soon. North American superchargers don't have a CCS plug and I don't know of an adapter that is certified for more than L2 charging.

It is of course doable, but it requires a modificarion on the superchargers.

On a side note, I went to the Mississauga, ON supercharger a while ago and all 16 stalls where in use. I really hope they don't just open up the supercharger network without adding more units first.

Reactions: Akikiki
If I were the owner of one of these, I'd want to be able to either charge by kW but be able to add idle fees, or charge by time. This would dissuade anyone from staying connected after getting a full charge.

Since this is a Level 2 charger, time would usually map linearly to kW, so time would work if you didn't want higher or lower idle fees.
Do you mean by kWh?

Reactions: MLXXXp
It works like this:

Pretty slick setup.
  • download Tesla app
  • add billing information
  • find a supercharger station
  • in the app, select which stall you want to use
  • plug your car in
No sir. Subject sort of popped up when we were talking about WC ver 3.0. The WiFi feature and complementing programming on the owner's side will allow a WC to be configured to allow people like the OP to use, but will charge them and make money for he property owner/WC owner/Electricity Provider (whomever that is). I don't know, we didn't discuss, when this goes into effect, just briefly skimmed over it.

You slick setup explained for me the part I didn't see before, (thanks). That part is" "select which stall". Makes sense now.

I don't think that going to happen anytime soon. North American superchargers don't have a CCS plug and I don't know of an adapter that is certified for more than L2 charging.

It is of course doable, but it requires a modificarion on the superchargers.

On a side note, I went to the Mississauga, ON supercharger a while ago and all 16 stalls where in use. I really hope they don't just open up the supercharger network without adding more units first.
You make some excellent points.
Not only does Tesla have to make a CCS plug available, they can't forsake the existing fleet of Tesla connectors. So, it's not going to be a simple swap, but more likely a cable addition (I would dare to guess).
After being in a queue for 7 years, we still only have one supercharger here, and its got only six stalls. More than 8,000 Teslas on Oahu alone, our single supercharger is busy "all the time" and has only been open almost three months. I thing we all can look forward to more supercharger locations.

I assume that they would all be on private property, so you would have asked the owner for permissible to use it first. Right?
Not necessarily. They could be on private property that welcomes guests and offer amenities. Hotels and coffee shops are a good example. It's perfectly fair to require them state rates (or at least post a sign that says "This charger bills for usage. See Tesla.com for details.") so that a user is informed that this is different than a free charger AND the amount they will be charged. I might make a different hotel choice if I know one offers free charging and another does not.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The notification came up on my phone a few seconds after the charging started. In don't see how they could notify you before given the charging starts straightaway after plugging in.
Well, that's exactly how it should work.

Upon plugging in, display a popup notification:

This billing enabled wall connector charges: $.25 per kWh.
Press OK to accept or CANCEL to reject.

Auto-accepting in 60 seconds...