Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Blackvue 900DRS installed by Calibred Customs next week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they forgot about me. Johnny was apologetic but still frustrating to lose the time I carved out to get this done.

Will lose the car for rest of the week getting some work done with Doug at Concours. Silver lining is it allows me to do a bit more research and talk to the pros here.

It's unfortunate the 3 install via battery is so hokey and sounds very suboptimal to me. Car on average doesn't get driven that much everyday and is mostly parked in a garage. I don't want to turn the camera on and off. I also don't drive enough to keep the battery charged consistently. Murphy's law is always no battery when "events happen".

Calibred only mentioned battery.

Ace DashCam offers a battery option and a hardwire option and Ace seems to recommend hardwire. Ace mentioned that Tesla forum users have mentioned they run into "error message" that may require taking the car into Tesla using hardwire. But they also said the way "they did it" doesn't make a problem.

I have a feeling that Tesla's dashcam solution and setup will be *sugar* and after market is the best way to go about it.

Though camper mode / party mode sounds very promising and should alleviate all hardwired concerns and need for battery?

Tesla 'party and camper mode' turns EVs into tailgating machines

IF and WHEN are big things when it comes to Tesla promises.

Reactions: P85_DA
Elon Musk on Twitter

V9 beta confirmed! V9.1 for better capability etc.

We will see how good and effective the Tesla solution is. Hoping for the best and would be willing to pay a fee for it to support development and make sure it has its own funded cost center.

I do feel a dedicated front and rear channel 4K recording is like the big guns. No regret going with that if the install wasn’t so hokey. :(

Reactions: P85_DA
I agree. The 3 is a bit different and new. Everyone getting these installed in the last 6 mo have been beta testers on proper install methods. It looks like one needs a camera and some sort of back up power but maybe something will change with v9 that will allow 12v constant somewhere. I wish we had someone at Telsa to help with these things.

Reactions: MXWing
I installed a 2channel 900DRS a couple months ago. All was fine. I took my 2017MS in for it's first annual service and they were pretty unhappy to see that I added a dashcam. They were particularly 'vocal' about the fact that it was a model 900DRS.

Two things:
- The heat generated by the front cam is so bad that there is a concern that it is throwing off the calibration of the cameras up by the rear view mirror. That camera gets so hot, that it cannot be touched or held in your hand. (I tried this myself)
- The vampire drain from that model is significant enough to cause the 12v battery charging to cycle on and off too frequently.

There were discussions about my MS warranty..!!

With some careful "de-escalation techniques", I was able to reach a simple resolution; I would show up to future service appointments without the cameras even in the car. No need to remove the mount or cables, etc. There would be no further discussion and my warranty would not be challenged.

What's really interesting, is that I have that silly Tesla Rear Applique LED thing installed (whole other story!) and was so concerned about *that* being a warranty issue. They never even gave it a sniff!

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I installed a 2channel 900DRS a couple months ago. All was fine. I took my 2017MS in for it's first annual service and they were pretty unhappy to see that I added a dashcam. They were particularly 'vocal' about the fact that it was a model 900DRS.

Two things:
- The heat generated by the front cam is so bad that there is a concern that it is throwing off the calibration of the cameras up by the rear view mirror. That camera gets so hot, that it cannot be touched or held in your hand. (I tried this myself)
- The vampire drain from that model is significant enough to cause the 12v battery charging to cycle on and off too frequently.

With some careful "de-escalation techniques", I was able to reach a simple resolution; I would show up to future service appointments without the cameras even in the car. No need to remove the mount or cables, etc. There would be no further discussion and my warranty would not be challenged.

What's really interesting, is that I have that silly Tesla Rear Applique LED thing installed (whole other story!) and was so concerned about *that* being a warranty issue. They never even gave it a sniff!

Good to know, when I bring my Model S for maintenance... i'll probably remove the cameras before bringing it to the center

Two things:

They can't void your warranty for something like that, but removing the cameras when you bring it in might be wise, just to avoid a long drawn-out fight should any issues arise.

Two things:

Wondering how is your camera installed? Sounds like your hardwired direct without a safety which dosnt disconnect the circuit or shut off the camera below 12v. The safety via external battery or plug is the recommended and proper way to wire the 900DRS.

Two things:

Can you run a little experiment? If the DR900S is turned down to a lower resolution (1080P), does it generate less heat?

I did finally get ahold of Johnny and scheduled an install. We agreed on a date and time but he was supposed to get back to me on a location- still waiting. I'm driving from Portland to Seattle to get it done. He said we could meet at a supercharger in Seattle but was not aware when I told him there aren't any superchargers there. Basically there's one an hour north from SeaTac and one an hour south. I'm fine paying him $300 for the install because he's experienced and recommended. Prices are actually higher in Portland from what I can find.

Any opinions about placing the camera off to the right instead of right under the front camera housing? I know the view would be off center but would it be obstructed? I would like to have it a little further out of my view if possible.

Attachments

• 2418BD28-2D16-496D-9979-698D564A93F1.jpeg
    2418BD28-2D16-496D-9979-698D564A93F1.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 65
Can you run a little experiment? If the DR900S is turned down to a lower resolution (1080P), does it generate less heat?

Interesting thought. I need to do an experiment the other way! My Resolution is already set to 1080P.
BTW - I'm not really buying into the whole "That model camera throws so much heat that it affects the car's navigation camera in the mirror base" thing. I would think the Sun would have a stronger affect when the car is parked/locked up out in the open on a hot day..

But, we don't argue with our service guys! ;-)

Interesting thought. I need to do an experiment the other way! My Resolution is already set to 1080P.
BTW - I'm not really buying into the whole "That model camera throws so much heat that it affects the car's navigation camera in the mirror base" thing. I would think the Sun would have a stronger affect when the car is parked/locked up out in the open on a hot day..

yea that's total BS.

I've read about heat issues with the 900 from multiple sources now. Aftermarket SD card? I know some definitely run much hotter than others.