Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Blackvue 900DRS installed by Calibred Customs next week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
One on an X and one on a 3.

Any tips, advice, or anything to look out for?

Seems straightforward but first foray into dashcams so any input is appreciated.

Will report on the results when completed.

Reactions: P85_DA
Do these dashcams typically store all footage where you have to pull them each day from an SD card or something? Or do they upload to the cloud somehow? I saw there was an OWL dashcam that would do something like this. But I didn’t like the idea of another screen on this extra device on the clean dash...

Do these dashcams typically store all footage where you have to pull them each day from an SD card or something? Or do they upload to the cloud somehow? I saw there was an OWL dashcam that would do something like this. But I didn’t like the idea of another screen on this extra device on the clean dash...
I have the owl dashcam in my Subaru. Unfortunately not compatible with M3. It has onboard storage and uploads to cloud as well. Thinking of getting the Waylens 360 for the M3 though.

One on an X and one on a 3.

Any tips, advice, or anything to look out for?

Seems straightforward but first foray into dashcams so any input is appreciated.

Will report on the results when completed.

Johnny does very clean work ..only issue is on 3 u need battery pack versus permanent wire like in X ...I use a freedompop hotspot with the free plan when I’m out of WiFi range if I want to be able to view real time ...camera has worked great I feel though my older cam has better night vision ....

Really interested on the 3 install. I read you need a battery pack and still have a wire leading to the 12v “cig lighter .”

2 ch or 4ch?

2ch. I will talk to them about the actual install before they go - though an assumption is they know enough to do the best practice?

@sperkin interesting comment on 4K. Can you down the resolution?

I wonder if it’s just a faster media reader and interface to get footage off faster?

Johnny does very clean work ..only issue is on 3 u need battery pack versus permanent wire like in X ...I use a freedompop hotspot with the free plan when I’m out of WiFi range if I want to be able to view real time ...camera has worked great I feel though my older cam has better night vision ....

I wonder if camper mode or whatever comes in the future will make the 3 install better?

In any case I don’t feel it’s smart to delay. Too many Tesla incidents in OC to not be armed with evidence if needed.

I wonder if camper mode or whatever comes in the future will make the 3 install better?

In any case I don’t feel it’s smart to delay. Too many Tesla incidents in OC to not be armed with evidence if needed.

Something to do with how the 12v is on the 3 there is a very long thread on this but last I read no one has solution ...the cams are nice but pickup a hotspot to use when u go out and you want to be able to view ..regardless the camera will still record but u won’t be able to view real time ...also somewhere on TMC someone wrote a script to Auto upload to the cloud otherwise it’s a manual effort when u get in WiFi range ...for the small card the 900 comes with on 2ch it’s good for about 2 1/2 hrs coverage than I find it overwrites ...

Reactions: MXWing
InterestIng on the hotspot needed. Needed for the 3 but not the X? Trying to wrap my head around that.

You would need only if you are not connected to WiFi And you want to view thru the cam real time ...this applies to both 3 and X ...when I’m in a public parking area for long time I will fire up hotspot ..I can than view thru both cams real time if needed ..otherwise the cams are just recording in background any notifications from cam if u get hit won’t be sent to you until you are back on WiFi ..good thing with freedom pop is u get 1gb data free ..I don’t even use that much main thing is I want for real time notifications when I’m off home WiFi

• Love
This is a pic of notifications sent to you if connected on WiFi or via cellular hotspot .for example if car got hit while parked and u are not on WiFi the cams will still record but u won’t get notification that it got hit real time .

43FAF202-B2FD-4EBA-AA85-98BC0B876664.jpeg

• Love
2ch. I will talk to them about the actual install before they go - though an assumption is they know enough to do the best practice?

I wonder if it’s just a faster media reader and interface to get footage off faster?
You can down the resolution to standard 4k (nom extreme) then it gives you extra options to record in 1, 2, or 3 minute video intervals. 4k (extreme) only records in 1 minute video intervals.
Ive had darius install on my model 3 for the dr900s with ultra battery pack hidden on the left side of passenger foot area. The only problem is constant wifi connection. I wouldnt know if anybody hit me unless i review afterwards by connecting to the blackvue wifi on my phone or if I am connected to my houses wifi.

Yes, you can down the resolution in the settings to 1080p. If you're at 1080p then you can record at 60fps but this is the same as 750s. Not sure what I will do yet but I am leaning towards 750s.

do you have a link for the freedom pop free 1gb? the only plan i see on their site is the basic 500mb free hotspot. thanks!

i'm also trying to decide between the blackvue 900 and 750. i don't think i really need the 4k, but it does have a wider fov. i've also seen that the 750 has better low light performance though, but i don't think i'll need that as much. decisions decisions... :D

I'm having a difficult time communicating with Calibred to schedule an install. The e-mails have been a stumbling block to get questions answered and nail down a time and place, so I asked them to call me. So far it's been two weeks and they haven't called, but did send another email asking if I wanted to schedule. I've called a few times but they don't answer.