Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting by with only supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just took delivery of my model 3 SR+ on Friday. I don't have the option to homecharge, and since Friday I have had to charge everyday at the SC. I have seen many people say it is possible to get by by only charging once a week to 80% at the superchargers, so I'm just wondering why I have had to charge so much already. Does anyone have any advice?

I do live in Maryland so temps have been 30 and below lately, also the charger is only 4 miles from my house and my work commute is also only 20 miles round trip.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
With a 20-mile (round trip) commute, you shouldn't need to charge every day. That said, cold weather will degrade range, especially on short trips -- with a 10-mile drive, you'll probably use almost twice as much electricity as you would in warmer weather, so you might use 40 miles of rated range rather than the 20 miles you were expecting. That alone won't account for what you're seeing, though, unless you're getting nervous and charging when your range hits 150 miles or so. It's probably best to keep the battery's state of charge (SoC) between 20% and 80% (so, 50-200 rated miles, given the SR+'s official 250-mile rating) as much as possible, but that's 150 miles of practical range, which should get you to and from work three times, even with massive losses because of cold weather.

Vampire drain can be another issue. This is when the battery's state of charge (SoC) drops even when you're not driving. There are many settings in the Tesla's UI, and things you can do even when you're not in the Tesla, that can increase vampire drain. Some that spring to mind include:
  • Cabin overheat protection -- This feature is supposed to keep the cabin temperature from rising too high in the summer. I don't recall offhand if it does anything in the winter; if it does, it might be sucking power at this time of year.
  • Sentry Mode -- This feature consumes power to keep the computer and cameras running whenever it's in use. Most users report that it costs the equivalent of about one mile of range per hour of use, so if you leave it running 24/7, it'll cause significant range loss.
  • Smart Summon standby -- I don't recall the exact name of this feature, but if you have a car with FSD, the Smart Summon feature has an option that leaves the car in a state that's supposed to make Smart Summon work more quickly. The trouble is that it does this by leaving the computer and cameras operating, which causes the same sort of vampire drain as Sentry Mode. Unfortunately, this option is enabled by default, so you may be seeing range loss because of it.
  • Temperature preconditioning -- If you keep the heat/AC on unnecessarily, it can drain a lot of power. This shouldn't be a big deal if you simply turn on the heat five minutes before getting into the car, since if you didn't do this, the heat would still be blasting on high for the first few minutes of your drive, and you'd effectively be wasting whatever heat the car would produce in the last five minutes of the drive. OTOH, if you use Dog Mode for extended periods or turn on the heat long before you depart, you can consume a lot of electricity.
  • High cabin temperatures -- If you set the cabin temperature high (say, 75 degrees F), you'll consume a lot more power than you would with a lower cabin temperature (say, 68 degrees F). (The opposite would be true in the summer, of course.) Using the seat heaters can help you feel comfortable even with a relatively low cabin temperature; the seat heaters use much less electricity than the cabin heater.
  • Remote checks -- Whenever you check the car's status with its app, the car will "wake up" and go into a relatively high-power state. It then takes anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours to go to "sleep" again. Thus, to preserve battery life, you should open the Tesla app infrequently at most.
  • High speeds and high acceleration -- These consume more power than driving more sedately. If you've been having fun by stomping on the accelerator, you may improve your range by being more restrained.
  • Bad weather -- You have little control over this, but driving through rain, snow, and slush takes more power than it does to drive on dry roads. Likewise, extreme cold or heat increases the need for heating or AC. You might be able to plan some trips for times when the weather will be better, though -- if it's clear in the morning but the forecast is for rain in the afternoon, you could do your grocery shopping trip in the morning rather than wait.
There are probably other settings and practices that can help you, but these are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

Another point is that Superchargers are likely not your only charging option. Check PlugShare to find Level 2 (J1772 and Tesla) charging options near you. These will be slow, but can help a little even if you'll be somewhere for a short time, and can add significant range if you'll be parked for a while (like if you go to see a movie). You might also want to look for CHAdeMO DC fast chargers; you can use these if you buy a $450 adapter from Tesla. This adapter isn't worthwhile for most Tesla owners, but if you don't have at-home charging and if there are convenient CHAdeMO stations, it might be worth getting. Note that there's a PlugShare app, as well as a Web site, so you can load it on your phone and use it to locate charging near wherever you happen to be. The big charging networks also have their own apps, so you can get the apps for whatever networks are common in your area; but PlugShare will give you the "big picture."

With a 20-mile (round trip) commute, you shouldn't need to charge every day. That said, cold weather will degrade range, especially on short trips -- with a 10-mile drive, you'll probably use almost twice as much electricity as you would in warmer weather, so you might use 40 miles of rated range rather than the 20 miles you were expecting. That alone won't account for what you're seeing, though, unless you're getting nervous and charging when your range hits 150 miles or so. It's probably best to keep the battery's state of charge (SoC) between 20% and 80% (so, 50-200 rated miles, given the SR+'s official 250-mile rating) as much as possible, but that's 150 miles of practical range, which should get you to and from work three times, even with massive losses because of cold weather.

Vampire drain can be another issue. This is when the battery's state of charge (SoC) drops even when you're not driving. There are many settings in the Tesla's UI, and things you can do even when you're not in the Tesla, that can increase vampire drain. Some that spring to mind include:
  • Cabin overheat protection -- This feature is supposed to keep the cabin temperature from rising too high in the summer. I don't recall offhand if it does anything in the winter; if it does, it might be sucking power at this time of year.
  • Sentry Mode -- This feature consumes power to keep the computer and cameras running whenever it's in use. Most users report that it costs the equivalent of about one mile of range per hour of use, so if you leave it running 24/7, it'll cause significant range loss.
  • Smart Summon standby -- I don't recall the exact name of this feature, but if you have a car with FSD, the Smart Summon feature has an option that leaves the car in a state that's supposed to make Smart Summon work more quickly. The trouble is that it does this by leaving the computer and cameras operating, which causes the same sort of vampire drain as Sentry Mode. Unfortunately, this option is enabled by default, so you may be seeing range loss because of it.
  • Temperature preconditioning -- If you keep the heat/AC on unnecessarily, it can drain a lot of power. This shouldn't be a big deal if you simply turn on the heat five minutes before getting into the car, since if you didn't do this, the heat would still be blasting on high for the first few minutes of your drive, and you'd effectively be wasting whatever heat the car would produce in the last five minutes of the drive. OTOH, if you use Dog Mode for extended periods or turn on the heat long before you depart, you can consume a lot of electricity.
  • High cabin temperatures -- If you set the cabin temperature high (say, 75 degrees F), you'll consume a lot more power than you would with a lower cabin temperature (say, 68 degrees F). (The opposite would be true in the summer, of course.) Using the seat heaters can help you feel comfortable even with a relatively low cabin temperature; the seat heaters use much less electricity than the cabin heater.
  • Remote checks -- Whenever you check the car's status with its app, the car will "wake up" and go into a relatively high-power state. It then takes anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours to go to "sleep" again. Thus, to preserve battery life, you should open the Tesla app infrequently at most.
  • High speeds and high acceleration -- These consume more power than driving more sedately. If you've been having fun by stomping on the accelerator, you may improve your range by being more restrained.
  • Bad weather -- You have little control over this, but driving through rain, snow, and slush takes more power than it does to drive on dry roads. Likewise, extreme cold or heat increases the need for heating or AC. You might be able to plan some trips for times when the weather will be better, though -- if it's clear in the morning but the forecast is for rain in the afternoon, you could do your grocery shopping trip in the morning rather than wait.
There are probably other settings and practices that can help you, but these are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

Another point is that Superchargers are likely not your only charging option. Check PlugShare to find Level 2 (J1772 and Tesla) charging options near you. These will be slow, but can help a little even if you'll be somewhere for a short time, and can add significant range if you'll be parked for a while (like if you go to see a movie). You might also want to look for CHAdeMO DC fast chargers; you can use these if you buy a $450 adapter from Tesla. This adapter isn't worthwhile for most Tesla owners, but if you don't have at-home charging and if there are convenient CHAdeMO stations, it might be worth getting. Note that there's a PlugShare app, as well as a Web site, so you can load it on your phone and use it to locate charging near wherever you happen to be. The big charging networks also have their own apps, so you can get the apps for whatever networks are common in your area; but PlugShare will give you the "big picture."

Thank you for the helpful information! Each time I've recharged the battery has been under 50 miles of range, which is strange to me because the car only has 287 miles on it as of this morning which should reallly only equate to one full charge. So it's not just nervous charging, and that's what has me so confused. I would absolutely love to only have to SC once, maybe twice a week if possible. Paying for the SC everyday has me a little discouraged. I'm hoping the wather has a lot to do with it.

Hello,

I just took delivery of my model 3 SR+ on Friday. I don't have the option to homecharge, and since Friday I have had to charge everyday at the SC. I have seen many people say it is possible to get by by only charging once a week to 80% at the superchargers, so I'm just wondering why I have had to charge so much already. Does anyone have any advice?

I do live in Maryland so temps have been 30 and below lately, also the charger is only 4 miles from my house and my work commute is also only 20 miles round trip.
Charge from a regular wall outlet, if that's possible. (Some people don't even consider it a viable home charging option, which is why I'm mentioning it.) It's slow, sure, but might help a lot in your case.

First response upthread covered most of it. I emphasize lots of short rides in cold weather can really waste energy. I was up to over 700 W/m during the last cold snap running around in town. (1 and 2 mile trips) Today with a 10 and 30 mile trips, my consumption is a normal 330 W/h, not bad for an X.

I recommend keeping the meter set to energy, NOT miles. The miles meter is almost useless when your driving changes a lot, especially in cold weather. Don't be afraid to dip below 20% charge on your way to the Supercharger. I guessing you are topping off way too often.

Damn you’re brave. I wouldn’t be able to buy a Tesla without home charging!

I had pretty much written off buying one, living in a condo where I can't charge.

So I went to the SC station 5 miles away and talked to a guy who lives in an apartment, and he just charges at the Supercharger once a week. My commute is 12 miles round trip, so that door is open for me as well. I'd be 100-120 miles per week, max.

Charge from a regular wall outlet, if that's possible. (Some people don't even consider it a viable home charging option, which is why I'm mentioning it.) It's slow, sure, but might help a lot in your case.
I agree. Charging from a normal 15 (or 20) A @120V outlet should definately be considered in this situation. If dimariaa is only driving 20miles per day, he can definitely recoup that energy usage through overnight charging at home (at least in the summer, and the majority of that in the winter). This will decrease the number of SC visits, and increase convenience.

I agree. Charging from a normal 15 (or 20) A @120V outlet should definately be considered in this situation. If dimariaa is only driving 20miles per day, he can definitely recoup that energy usage through overnight charging at home (at least in the summer, and the majority of that in the winter). This will decrease the number of SC visits, and increase convenience.
that's true, I'll look into it but I don think I have an outet near by. I'm in an apartmet.

Also I'm a lady Tesla owner :)

that's true, I'll look into it but I don think I have an outet near by. I'm in an apartmet.

Welcome to Tesla!

Here in the "frozen North" many apartments have block heater electrical outlets in the parking lot, but I'm not sure what the situation is in sub-tropical climate of Maryland. At any rate, I would expect that there is power outlet somewhere on the outside of the apartment building, and you may just need to get permission from building management to use it. A little discussion and appropriate arrangement may well prove worthwhile. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Can’t beat that!

My daughter is about to buy a Tesla and is complaining about charging. There are three SC within a mile of her high rise apartment in Miami.

Supercharger 2 levels down (at arrow). Hook up car and walk back to elevator/condo and when I get Notification I head back to car before it is through.

It is a busy station and only 10 stalls so I have to go early (or late) to get a stall. Tesla is supposed to be adding more stalls soon.

IMG_2459.jpeg

Reactions: pilotSteve
In the "cards" section of the display (bottom left corner) swipe to open your trip data. You'll see miles & Wh/mi (EV version of mpg). Keep an eye on this. In warm weather I'm around 240Wh/mi, in winter I can hit 260Wh/mi if I don't use the heater much. As high as 300Wh/mi in freezing temps with seat and cabin heat running. Before long you'll learn you car. Simple things like minimizing "vampire drain" and parking in the sun when it's cold. Oh, swipe the other direction to see your tire pressure. Keep that above 42psi.

Picked up my SR+ one day after you and live in NOVA, so I was dealing with the cold snap today as well. Also don’t have home charging (and my building bans using wall outlets for EV charging—working on that!). Noticed a definite drop in efficiency yesterday versus today with the temp drop. Yesterday my average was closing in on 220 Wh/m, and today that figure is above 270.

I suggest you turn on Chill Mode. Yes it takes some of the thrill out of driving, but it also curbs power consumption. I noticed immediate efficiency gains when I threw that on, and at the very least it can mitigate some of the effects of cold weather range loss. It seems that short drives will really burn through energy though. Tonight I used a Tesla destination charger to peak at 201 miles of range, and ~11 miles later arrived home at 178, almost exactly 2x the car’s estimate for power consumption. Just going to be something we’re going to have to learn to factor in. Still, if you take advantage of available L2 chargers, you can come out ahead. My battery has 10% more charge tonight than it had this morning.