Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting car registered with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KYVolsfan

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2022
United States
I’ve owned my Model 3 long range for an entire 24 hours and loving it. I’m curious to see if anyone else has had this situation. I purchased the Tesla from a local car lot - not Tesla. Used with only 12000 miles. I created a Tesla account online and uploaded the documents they requested to prove that the car is now mine. I received a message that it would take 3-5 days to complete this process. Probably more with New Year’s holiday.

This is not a huge deal except that I cannot use the Tesla app and all that comes with it - because it tells me I do not have a car registered with Tesla. I cannot get into the glovebox, because it has a PIN.

I’m just curious if anyone has gone through this process and if it possibly happened quicker.

It may have happened quicker for other people, but that won't help you. Once you do get access to the car from the app, you should do a Controls > Service > Factory Reset in the car to get rid of the previous owner's settings. The fact that there's a PIN for the glovebox means the old settings are still there. You'll need to enter your Tesla account credentials to do the reset, so you won't be able to do it until the car is associated with your account.

It may have happened quicker for other people, but that won't help you. Once you do get access to the car from the app, you should do a Controls > Service > Factory Reset in the car to get rid of the previous owner's settings. The fact that there's a PIN for the glovebox means the old settings are still there. You'll need to enter your Tesla account credentials to do the reset, so you won't be able to do it until the car is associated with your account.
It seems like the app is where most things happen. Is that correct?