Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting "Charge Rate Reduced- Wall Plug Temperature High"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the temperature sensor is on the mobile connector which is connected to the outlet through a NEMA adapter, it's hard to imagine the outlet being too hot, because it would mean the heat transferred through the adapter is still high enough to trigger the warning, yet it didn't burn the adapter first.
I don't think you are understanding about the temperature sensor in the Tesla charging cord. It's not in the body of the mobile connector, as you said. The sensor is right there in the plug head of the adapter, which is pressed up against the face of the outlet. The reading from that sensor is of course being read by the electronics in the body of the mobile connector, but the sensor location is out there where it needs to be.

Please post your result when you have it. I have noticed the same issue in the last few weeks with my 2018 Tesla 3. It looks like that it started to happen pretty much around the same time to us here. I think it's a MC failure due to a software update.
An update on my case:
It was the breaker inside of the outlet box (a power outlet box for RV with NEMA14-50R and 50z Breaker bought from Homedepot) that caused the issue
  1. I used my friend's Teslas Y charging cable and reproduced the issue. So it was not an issue with the Tesla mobile charger
  2. Opened the outlet box, bypassed the 50A breaker inside of the box and connected the wires directly to NEMA14-50R
  3. For a few weeks now, my Mobile charger has worked at 31A without any issue.
The additional 50A breaker is unnecessary to me. Hope this helps others out there with a similar issue.

Reactions: Lindenwood
It was the breaker inside of the outlet box (a power outlet box for RV with NEMA14-50R and 50z Breaker bought from Homedepot) that caused the issue
  1. I used my friend's Teslas Y charging cable and reproduced the issue. So it was not an issue with the Tesla mobile charger
  2. Opened the outlet box, bypassed the 50A breaker inside of the box and connected the wires directly to NEMA14-50R
Oh, that is a slightly unusual setup. So it's double breakered? There is one in your panel, and then the wiring run to that RV box, and it had another breaker in there? I wouldn't have thought of that without seeing it.

Oh, that is a slightly unusual setup. So it's double breakered? There is one in your panel, and then the wiring run to that RV box, and it had another breaker in there? I wouldn't have thought of that without seeing it.
1636052431117.png

It worked for more than 3 years.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I have been getting the same error message and reduced charging on a 3 year old mobile connector that is used several times a week. Started happening a month or so ago. I have a second unused mobile connector and 14-50 adapter from our second model 3. Although the message indicates a problem with the outlet, the other mobile connector works just fine. I also tried exchanging the adapters to see if that was the problem. The adapter from the "bad" MC worked without problem on the new MC and the new adapter didn't fix the problem on the old MC.

Seems pretty clear that the MC has failed. Next stop Tesla service.
Exactly why is a MC? I’m having the same issue

I noticed charge current reduction during hot weather.

Under most conditions, the mobile connector's plug gets warm, and it seems to be warmer than the outlet. Could be that if the air temperature in the garage is high, that could be just enough to tip the heat sensor into the "too hot" zone to reduce charge current.

I noticed charge current reduction during hot weather.

Under most conditions, the mobile connector's plug gets warm, and it seems to be warmer than the outlet. Could be that if the air temperature in the garage is high, that could be just enough to tip the heat sensor into the "too hot" zone to reduce charge current.
I would guess its the air temp plus a slightly bad connection.