Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting charging alerts when charging is scheduled for a later time!

My electric utility recently began offering credits of .05/kWh if you charge during off-peak times (9PM to 1PM). I’ve set my MYLR to start charging at 9PM yet am still getting alerts about charging stopped every 30 minutes or so when it is plugged in. I’ve also configured ‘Smart Charging’ on my JuiceBox 40 for off-peak charging so I’d think I would be doubly covered for this.

Why am I getting alerts on my phone about charging stoping when it shouldn’t be charging in the first place? It does seem that charging is starting during these peak times - despite being disabled. I’m seeing charge increases of about 1% before charging stops (and hence the alerts).

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Also - it seems confusing any counter-intuitive how to configure Tesla charging. There is Scheduled Charging (which I’ve configured for 9PM) and then there is the option for Off Peak charging in Departure settings. I DON’T have that configured - yet the car is warming to ‘desired’ temp now based on the Departure Time showing in the app. Neither Pre-Condition or Off-peak charge are turned on. So what’s up? Should I reboot the vehicle?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I recommend turning off Scheduled Charging starting over. A reboot couldn't hurt. I would set either the Tesla vehicle for Scheduled Departure Charging or the Juicebox for off-peak charging but not both.

Charging Scheduling, Preconditioning Options:

Scheduled Charging - Start charging at a specific time each evening. Applies to every day.

Scheduled Departure - Start charging so that charging will always be complete by your planned departure time. You can set the time for the end of the off-peak rate charging window. Applies to every day.

Scheduled Departure Preconditioning - Starts bringing the passenger cabin to the desired temperature just before the Scheduled Departure time. You can set this for M-F or All Week. The Tesla vehicle does not have to be plugged in to use the Scheduled Departure Preconditioning. You can set a second Scheduled Departure Preconditioning time using the Tesla app (useful if you want to precondition the Tesla vehicle for when you leave work at the end of the day.) Scheduled Departure Preconditioning in the A.M. is most useful in the colder months. If used together with Scheduled Departure Charging, in cold weather, this is the most efficient way to precondition the Tesla vehicle. The battery will already be partially warmed from the current charging session, less additional energy will be needed from the battery or the grid to additionally warm the battery and to warm the passenger cabin.

You can set Scheduled Departure via the Charging Screen in the Tesla vehicle or using the Tesla app. You may find the Tesla app to be more intuitive for setting the Scheduled Departure options.

These settings are wonky and fragile. I recommend using the vehicle charging screen or app for these settings but not both.

Last edited:

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I’ve set my MYLR to start charging at 9PM yet am still getting alerts about charging stopped every 30 minutes or so when it is plugged in. I’ve also configured ‘Smart Charging’ on my JuiceBox 40 for off-peak charging so I’d think I would be doubly covered for this.
Uh huh. This sounds like when people try to get two companies of insurance to cover the same thing because they think they will be "doubly covered". What happens is the two insurance companies end up arguing with each other about who is the primary and should have to pay up and you end up not being covered at all. It seems the same is happening here.

You shouldn't be trying to manage this with settings on both ends. Turn one or the other to always on. Then try to use settings on the other one to manage it. My suggestion would be to have your wall connector always on, and just use the scheduled start time in the car only. And don't try to use the "off peak" or scheduled departure stuff either.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC