Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting complaints about using public level 2 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in East Hampton Village in NY there are two L2 chargers where you can park and slowly charge (free) while running errands, get coffee, whatever. The other day, I parked there and got a nasty note on my car (from another EV driver) that as a Tesla owner I should only use the nearby supercharger and to leave this for non-Teslas. Have other people gotten such nastiness?
entitled is as entitled does

Reactions: NYMY
The full post wasn't any more enlightening. I was confused, too. Your car scolded you? How?

Parsing through the grammar, he may be confusing the nature of the warning message. A later post seems to indicate that he got the daily 100% charge warning message and is mistakenly correlating that with the use of a public L2 charger.

I like to leave at 100% for road trips.
That makes perfect sense and I completely get why you'd do that. The car didn't scold you at all, it just informed you that daily charging to the daily limit is better for the battery's health.

Going to 100% as you do for trips is fine and that's why it is called a trip charge.

The car provides the warning as it doesn't know the difference between a user that is doing it when needed vs someone who just doesn't know that it is harder on the battery.

That makes perfect sense and I completely get why you'd do that. The car didn't scold you at all, it just informed you that daily charging to the daily limit is better for the battery's health.

Going to 100% as you do for trips is fine and that's why it is called a trip charge.

The car provides the warning as it doesn't know the difference between a user that is doing it when needed vs someone who just doesn't know that it is harder on the battery.
I under why the car alerted me, and appreciate it. I also like taking advantage of free hotel charging.

Reactions: jsight
So in East Hampton Village in NY there are two L2 chargers where you can park and slowly charge (free) while running errands, get coffee, whatever. The other day, I parked there and got a nasty note on my car (from another EV driver) that as a Tesla owner I should only use the nearby supercharger and to leave this for non-Teslas. Have other people gotten such nastiness?
Don't feel bad. It is first come, first serve, like anything else. They were probably mad that they did not have a Tesla. lol.. Plus, once Tesla opens up the SC network to all Non EV's, I am sure they will be the first showing up for the fast charging. I would not sweat it! :) I am in NY too and good to know when I go out east!

Reactions: NYMY
Don't feel bad. It is first come, first serve, like anything else. They were probably mad that they did not have a Tesla. lol.. Plus, once Tesla opens up the SC network to all Non EV's, I am sure they will be the first showing up for the fast charging. I would not sweat it! :) I am in NY too and good to know when I go out east!
Top poster said later than there were charging options for these vehicles nearby so it sounds like they just prefer the free ones. What a surprise, so does the top poster!.

Reactions: Happy Hippo

This could only happen in in east coast of Long Island. They probably think you are not local and are there only on the weekends. Another words, NYC snobs.

I charged at a hotel in the bay area the other day. I didn't need to, I was at 60%. But it was free, open and the parking spot was convenient. When I got back to the car tesla scolded me that I should only charge for my daily needs. :(

Gez.... these are the type of guys that gives Tesla owners bad reps. How does he know where and how long your next trip is? Unless you are fully charged and sat there for hours, he has no right to be an ass. Tell him to get to the charger earlier. You snooze you loose.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I charged at a hotel in the bay area the other day. I didn't need to, I was at 60%. But it was free, open and the parking spot was convenient. When I got back to the car tesla scolded me that I should only charge for my daily needs. :(

That's great that you found free charging, but it has nothing to do with the alert that your car gave you. The alert is due to the charge limit that you have set.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tell them to go spit.