Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Data from Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Team,

Looking for ideas and feedback on Tools/Apps that can connect to a Model S and provide additional data on the car. I’ve seen on Youtube there is a cool program for Nissan Leaf (Leafspy?), is there anything similar for Model S? Telsafi seems like a logging app but seems it more about charging.

I am more interested in getting real time data on
  • Temperatures of the various components
  • Charging information such as real time kW/Amps/Volts/SoC
  • Consumption of various subsystems, charging/heating/battery heating
Any clues? A bluetooth OBD connector straight to the iPhone would be cool, but hmmmmm not sure that exists?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Brando
I use TeslaFi to collect and record the data from my cars and give me nice reports. It is not just about charging! It just uses the Tesla API to collect information, and it's website reports are pretty indepth. TeslaFi has a small cost, but they provide a free trial. If you use my TMC username as a referral code when you sign up for the trial, it will last 4 weeks.

Here are some posts I've made showing data collected from TeslaFi:
Danbury, CT Supercharger (charging summary)
Sunday River Ski in Maine- 3 Tesla Chargers (trip map)
Danbury, CT Supercharger (lifetime map)

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Researching is continuing. Below are two nice youtube reviews made on the main two Apps. Its the same guy making the videos which is good. I like the look of Scan My Tesla so I will proceed in that direction.

TM-Spy
Scan My Tesla

Just now trying to determine three things

1) What cable I need to make Scan My Tesla App work. I have my eye on this cable, but will email the site to make sure it takes all the data Scan My Tesla can display. Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (Sept 2015 and up) – Crimped OBD-II – Maxwell Automotive Technologies The reason I am unsure is the site makes you specify which CAN Bus you want the cable for (Body/Powertrain/Chassis)

2) If there is any chance to get Scan My Tesla working in iOS, else I'll have to buy an Android device. Which is OK but would be easier if I could just use my iPhone
- sub question, I wonder if a small Android tablet would be OK/Better than just an Android phone

3) Which OBD-BT adapter to get

OK so I finally got the parts together to make my CAN bus scanning work. I used...

This cable: You need to be careful which one you buy depending on the age of your Model S
Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable For MS/MX (Sept 2015 and up) - Crimped to Order OBD-II

This ODB Scanner: It seems there are many but this one is somehow recommended
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Software: Scan My Tesla which I have only just begun to explore but its quite amazing. Downside is its Android only, so I borrowed an old phone off a friend
scan my tesla

Just a few sample screenshots below, the amount of data is impressive

Screenshot_2019-03-17-15-29-29.png
Screenshot_2019-03-17-15-29-37.png
Screenshot_2019-03-17-15-29-45.png

• Informative
Reactions: amund7 and P100D_Me