Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Dinged on Safety Score for Parking in my Garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving so extra careful, to the point of being ridiculous, in order to improve my Safety Score so I too could be an, "Elon Special Buddy." All of my categories are good except the first, "Foreword Collision Warning" detections. So, either my car is seeing ghosts, which could be a whole other issue with FSD, or I am getting dinged for inching into a tight garage space where I am receiving tones, mostly from the right side of my car. I believe this is the issue because prior to pulling into my garage, I parked my car in my driveway within Wi-Fi range and the app was telling me that I received a Forward Collision Warning every 47 miles, which was absurd considering the distances I have been leaving from the car in front of me while driving, and while slowing pulling up behind the car making sure I could see their wheels touch the road. In fact, my "Follow Too Closely" score is excellent. But, after pulling into my garage, my score dropped to one incident every 20 miles! This was going from my driveway into my garage. So, do I have to leave my car outside in order to qualify as a "chosen one?"

I have been driving so extra careful, to the point of being ridiculous, in order to improve my Safety Score so I too could be an, "Elon Special Buddy." All of my categories are good except the first, "Foreword Collision Warning" detections. So, either my car is seeing ghosts, which could be a whole other issue with FSD, or I am getting dinged for inching into a tight garage space where I am receiving tones, mostly from the right side of my car. I believe this is the issue because prior to pulling into my garage, I parked my car in my driveway within Wi-Fi range and the app was telling me that I received a Forward Collision Warning every 47 miles, which was absurd considering the distances I have been leaving from the car in front of me while driving, and while slowing pulling up behind the car making sure I could see their wheels touch the road. In fact, my "Follow Too Closely" score is excellent. But, after pulling into my garage, my score dropped to one incident every 20 miles! This was going from my driveway into my garage. So, do I have to leave my car outside in order to qualify as a "chosen one?"
One does what one must…for a week anyway.

Reactions: helvio
How long is your driveway? According to the documentation, only drives longer than 0.1 mile count.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I got nailed for being in a queue. But it seems to not count “too close” at stop lights. IMO, this (and hard braking) shouldn’t count if the speed is slow - like parking.

Yes but those tones are not FCW. Many of us park in our garages with no issues whatsoever. So the cause must be something else.

Remember that the the safety score assumes all FCWs happen with the setting to "medium." So, if you have yours set to "late" or "off", you could still get dinged for FCW without having an alert in the car.

My first day getting the button I went for a short drive. A car pulled out of a parking lot without stopping. I didn't brake immediately because I knew I had time to slow down, but apparently I waited too long. Even thought I didn't get a FCW in the car (my setting was "late"), I did get dinged. My score was 60 because I only had a single 13 mile drive and 1 FCW, which makes the rate per 1000 miles quite large.

Since then, no FCWs and my score is up to 97%.

From the software developers that brought you phantom braking.

So, either my car is seeing ghosts, which could be a whole other issue with FSD, or I am getting dinged for inching into a tight garage space where I am receiving tones, mostly from the right side of my car.
I got this too - but didn't get any FCW.

BTW, I used to get FCW in the garage earlier - because I had a parking helper mat on the ground where I had to park the front wheels between two bumps. But if I had to press the accelerator to get over the bump, I'd get FCW. I removed the mat and inched slowly till when it said "stop" (12" I think). All was fine. Will have to check what it does today.

Don't worry, you're not alone. The medium setting had always been way too sensitive for me. I drive relying mostly on regen braking and get forward collision warnings from time to time when on the medium setting. I guess I don't fit Tesla's cutout of their ideal driver, even though I've been driving 20 years with a perfect record.

Today, my score got dinged to 33% after just 1 forward collision warning. On this same drive, I had 1 car pull the typical blinker driveby (defensive driver - not falling for it), and another car who pulled out in front of me. Lady wasn't looking both ways and I only noticed because I was looking at her head. Tesla's AI definitely wouldn't have saved me here. But heaven forbid I'm going down a hill with a car that's slowing down and I don't slow down fast enough for Tesla's liking, I get smacked with a forward collision warning.

Ended up just cancelling the beta request. I bought the car to drive for fun, not to drive like a robot.

telling me that I received a Forward Collision Warning every 47 miles,

But, after pulling into my garage, my score dropped to one incident every 20 miles!

So it was reporting 21 before you pulled in and 50 after? (Taking what you said and converting back into the metric that is reported, FCWs per 1000 miles.)

Note: If those,47/20, were the numbers actually reported in the app that would mean one FCW per 21 miles and one per 50 miles meaning things got better after your drive into the garage.

Last edited:
What frustrates me is that I pretty much haven't used my brakes at all, and still get dinged for FCW's. I know that it doesn't like when somebody in front of me is turning and I don't slow down like a block away, but that's not even happening.
I do live on a hill, so I suspect when I pull into my driveway and brake somewhat fast on the downhill (first part is paved, second part is gravel - so I stop somewhat abruptly on the paved so that I don't skid on the gravel) but again it's all regenerative braking.

What frustrates me is that I pretty much haven't used my brakes at all, and still get dinged for FCW's. I know that it doesn't like when somebody in front of me is turning and I don't slow down like a block away, but that's not even happening.
I do live on a hill, so I suspect when I pull into my driveway and brake somewhat fast on the downhill (first part is paved, second part is gravel - so I stop somewhat abruptly on the paved so that I don't skid on the gravel) but again it's all regenerative
that’s odd. Are you getting FCW alerts going down your driveway?

that’s odd. Are you getting FCW alerts going down your driveway?
I am not. I'm not getting any FCW alerts at all, which is why it's frustrating to have my rating impacted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-104917.png
    Screenshot_20210930-104917.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 169
The Safety Score is BS if you live in a city or densely populated area. I went out today and drove very safe, but in two instances other drivers pulled in front of me and I had to brake hard. One day I got a 6. A 6! I haven't had an accident in 30+ years and drive safely always, but the Safety Score will ding you for things beyond your control. I am one who will wait for FSD and wish I could take the Safety Score off of my app. Besides, I paid for FSD so don't appreciate having to play games to get the software. The safety score is an invasion of privacy and a way for insurance companies to make even more money.

Reactions: aditgarg and Sporty
Happens to me garage parking everyday as well. I crawl forward till 12” and immediately get “STOP” warning Which dings the profile.