TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Getting FLOODED with ads with no way out

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by djplong, Apr 29, 2014.

1. djplong

djplong Member

The site is almost unusable - using Chrome, when I click on topics, I get ads, ads and more ads. Maybe 1 in 5 clicks gets me to the topic I'm looking for. It was fine this morning - what happened?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Did you take a screen capture?

3. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

I'm not having any of these issues - you may want to run a malware search.

4. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Also, if you click on "Support TMC" and provide a donation, the site becomes ad-free, if you're talking about the ones that flash up near the top

5. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

#5 Auzie, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    I use Adblock Plus on Chrome and never get any adds.
    If the amount of adds that you get increased at some point in time, then most likely there is some malware which needs to be removed. Are ads on TMC only or on all sites?
    Small donation to TMC by pressing Support TMC might help to block ads on the TMC site.

6. djplong

djplong Member

#6 djplong, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    It seems to only affect this site - only in Chrome and only from home (not on the crippled version of IE at the office). I can see a quick attempt at redirecting to a site including the words "onlickads" in it's URL before it flashes on to something else. The ads are trying to get me to install drivers or codecs or Adobe-looking updates but they are clearly malware to these experienced eyes. I think I got hit with some drive-by ad malware that's targeting certain sites. I'm trying Malwarebytes for good measure as clearing the cookies didn't help but it's clear that SOMETHING got through my anti-malware suite.. The other symptom is that it affects every couple of clicks I make when I'm "middle button clicking" a topic or forum header link so as to open it in a new tab.

7. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Once you log in never log out.
    --

9. tezco

tezco Sig P85

#9 tezco, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    I'm having marked difficulty using the site on my iPad--about 50% of the time when I try to use the outline of the link trail (immediately above the banner ad), I end up getting the advert instead. Very frustrating. The space between these entities has shrunk to the point that the finger recognition algorithm on the iPad can't separate the two.

10. ModelX

ModelX Member

I also support the site, so have no ads. I only use my iPad for this site and have no issues.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I support the site too, but I have been waiting for the promised annual reminder email.