Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Full Range on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the bucket and squeegee there? I truly appreciated that when I swung through there this summer.

Yes! Thanks to whom ever did this. It's nice to be able to clean the windshield if needed. Although I did have one observation about our Seattle to Portland to Seattle roadtrip, I didn't see evidence of any bug strikes on the car anywhere. Maybe it was because the weather conditions were really wet and rainy? I'll be taking an extended roadtrip in April to the bay area, so I should have much more data on the bugstrikes then!

Yes! Thanks to whom ever did this. It's nice to be able to clean the windshield if needed. Although I did have one observation about our Seattle to Portland to Seattle roadtrip, I didn't see evidence of any bug strikes on the car anywhere. Maybe it was because the weather conditions were really wet and rainy? I'll be taking an extended roadtrip in April to the bay area, so I should have much more data on the bugstrikes then!

I'm sure the damp weather had much to do with it, but another factor here is that the more aerodynamic a car is the fewer bug strikes you would expect because insects would get caught in the laminar flow above the boundary layer and whipped around the car. Obviously since it's not possible to make an "ideal" airfoil in a car form you will get some bug strikes. I suspect the lack of a top beam over the windshield prevents the introduction of turbulent and rotary airflow at the top of the windshield and therefore far fewer bug strikes on the windshield.

Peter+

On Topic: I'm experiencing the same range with my X. However, the temperatures in Michigan have been much colder than in Washington, Portland, so I'm in the low 500 wh/mile.

Off Topic: Blurry_Eyed - you are my hero going with the ultra white seats despite having kids. Your kids are older than mine, and thus less likely to spill/make messes. I'm happy with my Sig Red/Black Interior; but it was tough to pass on the white. Nonetheless, the White on Blue is sharp. Looks great!!!

Off Topic #2: what do your kids think of the X? My 4 year old loves it and refers to it as "her rocket ship" (it's a Little Einsteins reference, which you can see the resemblance being Signature Red: Little Einsteins - The Good Knight and the Bad Knight - YouTube)

Took a weekend trip from Seattle to Portland and back this weekend. Conditions were not favorable for efficiency. Lots of standing water on the roads, driving rain and temps in the low 40's. For the whole trip, including time in the city driving here are the results: Also the tires are still new and breaking in, so that also was a negative in terms of efficiency. In the stretches where the speed limit was 60MPH I usually set Autopilot to 64 mph. For stretches where is was 70MPH I set it for 74 MPH.

'Since last charge' represents the stretch from Centralia to Redmond

Trip A is the return journey from Portland to Redmond

Trip B is the entire trip - Conditions were much worse on the way to Portland, thus the worse efficiency total.

View attachment 108489

Also for reference, here are some pictures for the 5 miles and 15 miles driving into Centralia, going north from Portland. There the speed limit drops to 60 MPH and the roads are relatively level - you can see efficiency was much greater (which it should be):

View attachment 108490View attachment 108491

Also here is a fun shot of the kids at the Centralia Supercharger:
View attachment 108492

Off Topic #2: what do your kids think of the X? My 4 year old loves it and refers to it as "her rocket ship" (it's a Little Einsteins reference, which you can see the resemblance being Signature Red: Little Einsteins - The Good Knight and the Bad Knight - YouTube)

The kids absolutely love the X! It's so nice for each of them to have their own row. My daughter sits in her booster seat in the 2nd row any my son gets to camp out in the 3rd row. Also there is a USB jack in the 3rd row just in front of the cup holders, so he can plug in electronics there. There is the 12V plug behind his seat in the trunk, so I just plugged in a 12V USB adapter into it and ran another lightening cable to his seat, so he has 2 power sources. My daughter can use the two USB ports in the back of the front console for her charging needs.

My son is very tactile and has very sensitive skin. He really loves how soft and comfortable the Ultra White seat fabric is. I also think both of them like the attention the Falcon Wing doors bring when the arrive at school and when they get picked up from school. It's a bit of a rock star type entrance and exit.

Another thing I think they like, but haven't mentioned, is how open the car is. Both from a headroom perspective for them and from a sense of being able to see out of the car with the Panoramic front windshield, the glass on the top of the Falcon wing doors and the big hatchback glass behind the 3rd row. I think it helps them feel less enclosed. In the S, even with the panoramic sunroof, it was pretty tight and enclosed compared to the X.

On the road trip, the extra space they each had to lay our all their toys, books and other treasures from home was really nice. We have the 6 seat configuration, so my daughter puts her backpack where the middle seat would have been. My son can put his backpack on the floor behind the second row of seats and also lay out a bunch of his stuff on the empty 3rd row seat next to him. It made for a very pleasant family road trip experience. In the back seat of the S, the kids would start fighting over the middle space and when you added both of their backpacks, which they jammed into the foot space in the back row of the S, it made for some tense moments on a road trip! The trip to Portland was almost like being in our own private Lear jet! I plan to start a thread about the experience. The X is going to be an amazing family roadtrip car for us. Portland was just a shakedown cruise. We'll take it to the Bay area and back (From Seattle) in April for Spring break.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
The trip to Portland was almost like being in our own private Lear jet! I plan to start a thread about the experience. The X is going to be an amazing family roadtrip car for us. Portland was just a shakedown cruise. We'll take it to the Bay area and back (From Seattle) in April for Spring break.

I cannot thank you enough for posting this road trip story. I've been waiting to hear from someone about a trip they've taken in it with the family – with a picture none the less! A good friend of mine bailed on his Model X Reservation 1 day after "ordering" it. He had reserved it a full year before my wife's reservation. Last week he started test driving the Audi Q7 and had a brochure. I don't know what happened in his case, but it affected my wife and I after reading about all of the gotchas with the X: 2nd row does not fold, 2nd row center seat might not include arm rest (until a day or two ago we thought for sure it did as we tested this at the launch event), can't remove seats manually, lots of bugs – not all fixed in software, etc, etc. Needless to say it put doubt in our minds, but we decided to stay the course (and our deposit would no longer be refundable).

Reading your story put us at ease and let us envision a family road trip better than the ones we've taken in our S. The issues you highlighted very briefly about your S road trips mimic our current reality – it's tight and there is not a lot of headroom. You feel closed in, even with the panoramic roof. Now I cannot wait for my wife's Model X to arrive! We've already got a big road trip planned from the bay area to Seattle – hoping the X will arrive in time. :)

Thanks again for sharing Blurry_Eyed!

Reactions: vrykolas