Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Gas Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this week I have been reduced to driving my husband’s Civic (see THEY are out to get my car for details). After 9 blissful gas-free months, I am now forced to deal with the inconveniences of driving a gas car. Now to be fair the Civic is not a bad car. It does its job well. But… had things been reversed and had electric cars been the norm and someone was trying to introduce gas cars into the market, I don’t think they’d stand a chance. I can’t believe I used to be ok with the mental gymnastics I was forced to deal with this week when I needed gas.

Thinking back I realize that Monday, I didn’t even look at the gas gauge, which could have been bad but luckily wasn’t. I’ve gotten used to waking up with a full “tank” and not even thinking about whether or not I have enough “fuel” to make it to work and back and run a few errands. So, it was a bit of a shock when I happened to glance at the gas gauge on Tuesday and realize I needed gas. Doing some quick mental calculations, I figured I had enough to get to work and I’d just fill up at the gas station near work that night. Went to work and promptly forgot about the gas situation.

So, Tuesday night I left work, got in my car and began driving home. When I stopped at the stoplight past the gas station, I realized “$#!+” , I need to get gas.
So, began the mental gymnastics.
I needed to get gas but I also needed to get dinner, which required me to stop at both the grocery store and the meat market. Of course there was no gas station next to either. The only gas stations I could think of at first were a 5 to 10 minute detour from the route I would normally have taken to hit the grocery store, meat market and go home.

So, I got on the highway and continued to rack my brain for a gas station that would be closer to my route. After a few minutes I realized that I did pass a gas station but it was on the outer road and was not close to an off ramp. Getting to the gas station without back tracking would require me to exist at the exist before it. Hit some stoplights and stop signs and then run the outer road. Fine, it followed my desired route and didn’t require much detouring just a slower travel speed.

As I pulled in to the station the mental gymnastics continued as I had to remember which side of the car the gas tank was on. Luckily I remember correctly, pulled up the pump, grabbed my wallet and got out to pump gas. I swiped my card, put it back in my wallet. Holding the wallet in my left hand I grabbed the pump with my right, awkwardly pushed the button to select the octane and turned to put the nozzle in the gas tank. Only to realize, I hadn’t removed the gas cap.

At this point in time gas is dripping out the nozzle all over the ground, and I was trying to avoid getting any on my favorite red suede heels. Putting my wallet on the trunk, I unscrewed the gas cap, inserted the nozzle and started pumping gas. I will refer you to the battery swapping video for a replay of my uneventful time pumping gas. There’s 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Remembering to grab my wallet, I removed the nozzle and replaced it on the pump, again dripping gas as I went. I never realized just how crappy those nozzles are and much gas is actually spilt at the gas station. Luckily, I didn’t get any on me.

I cannot get my car back soon enough and I definitely do not miss that experience.

I am never going gas again.

I have an Enterprise ICE while my car is in the shop (annual inspection). The car came with under 1/4 tank and I have to get gas tonight... not looking forward to it. Funny story: When I left for work, I ended up turning on the wipers trying to put the car in Reverse. How soon we forget about floor shifters!

I have an Enterprise ICE while my car is in the shop (annual inspection). The car came with under 1/4 tank and I have to get gas tonight... not looking forward to it. Funny story: When I left for work, I ended up turning on the wipers trying to put the car in Reverse. How soon we forget about floor shifters!

Have you forgotten to lock the loaner yet? That's another problem I have driving my husbands car.

Good news though. Sitting in Chicago waiting for the train to take me up to Milwaukee to get my baby. It's been a long week and a half.

Have you forgotten to lock the loaner yet? That's another problem I have driving my husbands car.

Actually, no. I guess I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy because I always lock my Model S with the fob before walking away. My previous car would give a little horn chirp when it auto locked, and I miss that on the S. If it did that, I probably would feel comfortable just walking off.

Here's something a bit weird (and off topic, sorry): I have mine set to Auto Lock. I dropped it off for service last night, and after they moved and parked it, it was showing "unlocked" on the mobile app all evening. It didn't seem to show any doors ajar, so how could that be? Today, the car is off-line, so I assume the SC is following protocol and turning off mobile access when it's in the shop.

Actually, no. I guess I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy because I always lock my Model S with the fob before walking away. My previous car would give a little horn chirp when it auto locked, and I miss that on the S. If it did that, I probably would feel comfortable just walking off.

Here's something a bit weird (and off topic, sorry): I have mine set to Auto Lock. I dropped it off for service last night, and after they moved and parked it, it was showing "unlocked" on the mobile app all evening. It didn't seem to show any doors ajar, so how could that be? Today, the car is off-line, so I assume the SC is following protocol and turning off mobile access when it's in the shop.

If I were to wager a guess. They may have hung around the car long enough so that the handles retracted but it didn't lock because the fob was near by. Doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it though. I've not had a problem with autolock that I am aware of.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... the little gas pump icon next to the fuel gauge always has a little arrow on it that tells you which side to fill up ;)

My husband pointed out the same thing after I told him the story. Guess I never noticed that. So will remember for future ICE torture sessions.

I had mine set the same when it was in the bodyshop for repair recently (7 long weeks!). Quite often I found it was unlocked according to the remote app and sometimes it wasn't available. I realized why. They had it stripped down, doors off etc. so they had to disconnect the 12v battery while doing so. The 12v battery powers all the secondary functions, including I assume, the remote app.

photo 1.JPG

It seems that the walk-away auto-lock is disabled for a certain period of time after you use the double-click-to-unlock on the keyfob. I have found that I can double-click to unlock the car, then walk away; it will not auto-lock and will stay unlocked. I have the opposite problem from Liz - I'm used to leaving cars unlocked here and then I remember I left my phone, sunglasses, etc., in the car - usually making one trip to the garage, then to fetch the keys, then the second trip back to the garage.