Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting Google maps to show nav points and zoom like my binacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S with MCU2 in the UK.

As much as I like Google Maps on the main screen, I often prefer looking at the binacle (i.e. the small sat nav display behind the wheel) for sat nav instructions as it shows (through a dot on the map) the turn points and zooms in and out more frequently at appropriate times.

Is there a way to get Google Maps on the main screen to add the dots on the map to show turn locations and to auto zoom more frequently at appropriate times like the binacle sat nav behind the wheel?

The programming on the NAV map zooming has not been working correctly for the last few updates I have gotten. It must be a new programmer that threw out the old zooming logic because of better ideas. Anyway, the big screen never showed the detail of the instrument cluster display. This detail, I feel certain, is on other Tesla models besides the S and X because they only have one display. I don't think there will ever be an option to show our special display information on the big screen unless they take away the instrument cluster display.

The programming on the NAV map zooming has not been working correctly for the last few updates I have gotten.

I find the removal of the +/- buttons on the map particularly irritating. When in pinch in/out for zoom, the location of the car becomes decentered and I have to fiddle with it either at the time, or a little later. I want the simple zoom in/out, +/- buttons we had for many years. If this current implementation that only allows sensitive pinch in/out is considered an improvement, I don't understand how, and feel it is a dangerous distraction whenever I have to fiddle with the map view and zoom level while driving.

I find the removal of the +/- buttons on the map particularly irritating. When in pinch in/out for zoom, the location of the car becomes decentered and I have to fiddle with it either at the time, or a little later. I want the simple zoom in/out, +/- buttons we had for many years. If this current implementation that only allows sensitive pinch in/out is considered an improvement, I don't understand how, and feel it is a dangerous distraction whenever I have to fiddle with the map view and zoom level while driving.
The +/- buttons are still there, you just need to tap the map screen to display them.

Selecting the map orientation usually corrects the zoom for me, but you can also just tap the map twice to zoom in. It will take a few taps to zoom in to the old zoom position.
Thanks. I did not know that a double tap would zoom in without decentering. Zoom out via "pinching" still de-centers, but clicking North Up / Track Up fixes that. Still, kind of an odd implementation with no benefit over a simple +/-, in my opinion. Years ago I worked on pilot vehicle integration as part of crew station design, so perhaps I am overly sensitive.

Reactions: DerbyDave