Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

getting hand caught while door handle retracts ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gotten my hand almost caught while door handle was retracting. I said "almost", so my hand cleared pretty fast, that I didn't know how much pressure it puts on the hand.

I have 2 little kids, so just wondering what the force of door handle motors are ? or if anybody have gotten their hands caught in it, and if it hurts or not ?

I tried a search on youtube but couldn't find it. There's a video of a someone's 2 year old getting a finger pinched by the handle (on purpose) and smiling the whole time. It's happened to me a couple of times and it's alarming but doesn't hurt.

Edit: Ahh you found it!

If you're just talking your hand being in the normal place to open the door, it is on a spring. Very little pressure is required to stop the handle from retracting. It can't hurt you at all, even a little kid. Try it! My 8-year-old loves to show that feature off.

The one caveat I must make is that my son once pinched his fingers. I think the sequence was he quickly got his hand in while the door was only partway presented and managed to get his finders inside the door a bit. There's a back plate that is flush with the door when the handle is presented, but while it's only part way out you can actually get down into the door between the back plate and the outside of the door. The handle finished presenting and actually pinched his finger causing many tears. After 21k miles this only happened once and I think it is only possible with some very quick movement and serious goofing around.

----

Ah, others already replied while I entered the above post.

Just to add my $0.02, my 2-year old had the handles retract on him while we were washing the car one day. While he did cry, it was a cry of surprise, not pain. For you non-parents, yes there is a difference. You can tell when they're crying for attention or if they're actually hurt. So I have no reservations at all about the handles.