TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Getting in line...how long?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sns, Apr 4, 2012.

1. sns

sns Member

So, what's the latest thinking for Model S wait times for those getting their deposits in now? Fall 2013? Later? Finally have the wife interested, but she likes her instant gratification. :)

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Assuming they make 5000 this year and 20,000 next year, and there are about 14,000 total world wide, you're looking at the end of Q2 or beginning of Q3 2013. However, the type of battery and options chosen will play a part so it may be much sooner or later. You can also request to be on the waiting list for a Signature, though it's unlikely that you would get one.

3. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Unless you buy a certain house (Buy this house, get a free Model S...), I think you are looking at 2013.

Exactly when will depend on how Tesla can ramp up production, and how many reservation holders cancel their purchases. As Jerry pointed out, battery choice may also have a significant impact.

Your wife may have to shop for other things for a while... :wink:

4. sns

sns Member

Funny...when my wife and I met I lived just a couple miles from that house.

And to your last point, no! Need to prevent, rather than encourage, more shopping. Easier said than done, however....

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Basically, you are looking at a 12 month wait from today.

6. ibcs

ibcs Member

Signature #121 is available providing your wife is willing to part with $350K. No seriously, mos t signature people have been waiting at least a year and some two for delivery. I doubt that anyone will be giving those slots up.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Some have been waiting since March 2009. You're going to have to up the number from $10,000 most likely to get someone waiting that long to jump back a year. While a 25% return on the deposit over 3 years is great, it's not unheard of in the stock market.

8. William13

William13 Member

I still have my production 951 slot but doubt that Tesla will allow reassignment.

9. Laurent

Laurent Member

Once Tesla starts delivering signature cars this summer, I'm sure that some of them will end up on eBay. Mine probably will. I expect the premium to be more than $10k.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Not for these mid-2013 deliveries. The "build big batteries first" will affect delivery order this year, but not next.

11. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I'd be kind of surprised if they prevent you from giving your reservation to somebody else at the time of purchase. Perhaps they won't technically allow the reservation to be reassigned, but I bet they allow someone other the reservation holder to pay for the car, and someone other than the reservation holder to be the registered owner. Just a hunch, though.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yup, I think some Nissan LEAF sales might have happened this way. I had reserved a LEAF last May (just for the heck of it as I was getting bored with the wait for the Model S) and when it arrived at the dealership about four months later, I worked with the dealer to have my coworker friend (who was convinced by my EVangelism!) do the actual buying, no issues at all.

I hadn't asked for any premium from my friend but, any such deal between the person with the reservation and the person doing the actual buying at the Tesla store should technically not be Tesla's business.

It's not as if Tesla's trying to enforce that only certain vetted high-profile buyers ought to be able to buy their cars a la a McLaren.

13. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Heh. Um, yeah, for $350K, I would also consider selling my slot.

14. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

It makes sense when you think about it. Even my $5k that has been sitting at TM for 2+ years could have been invested in stocks and other investments and would have doubled or more by now.

15. 78Lion

78Lion Member

or been reduced to zero.

16. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

Luckily my investments have proven fruitful so yes, everyone's miles may vary!

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Ok, we are all ears...got any picks? Let's see if they double in the same amount of time :rolleyes:

18. ibcs

ibcs Member

Do me a favor - PM me when Tesla contacts you. I should be right around the same time as I'm only 20 slots behind you.

Thought I would throw some humor in the waiting time. At this point, the anticipation has grown to a level that I check the forum eight or ten times a day. It would be almost impossible for me to give away my Sig at this point.

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

million-dollar-bill.gif

:wink:

20. ibcs

ibcs Member

Yes, I would take that offer and they would get the Performance model of choice.