Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting In/Out Model S for Large Folks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the new version of the Model S to replace a car, without ever having been in an S. We currently have a 2019 X (Raven)

Today, unrelated my X needed a low voltage thingamajig replaced and they gave me a 2016 90D S.

Uhm, I'm having fun getting in/out of the car. I am not a tall person, but I have a 'tall' upper body/short legs. I'm only 5'10, but my shoulders rest on the head rest of the S, and my head bonks the indent around the roof.

I've monkeyed with the seat some but I am unable to get into a car like I've gotten into a car my whole life, insert right leg into foot well, lean forward and slide in. I will knock my self unconscious banging my head on the ceiling.

I will admit to everyone I have an above normal gut size, but even trying to lean forward I am unable to get in the car like I get into every other car I've owned including some coupes (A5). The X with the higher roofline I don't have this problem.

I was wondering short of cancelling my order if anyone knew if the roofline changed any, or anyone else who has to struggle some to get in has any suggestions.

crazy topic to post, but hey, I really don't want to cancel my S order because 'old overweight guy can't get in it'

The new models have an Entry mode. You can set the seat all the way down, and all the way back; and you can have the steering retract all the way in and up, if you want -- or anywhere in between. If you can't find a setting that allows you to get in and out without bumping your head, there is no car you can fit in. It will then set this position for each entry and exit automatically. I am 6' 4" and "well nourished" as my doctor puts it. No problems.

so i got a few minutes, and had my wife try. She's 5'4 and had problems so I'm guessing there is a seat setting I'm missing, i'll play around some more. I figured if I could get in/out of my A5 no problem this shouldn't be an issue.
HAs to be a setting that you arent utilizing or that isn't working properly. Has to be.

I hope so. i mean i get i'm overweight, but even after playing with the seat for quite some time i was unable to make it better. I did fix whatever had me banging my head against the roofline/moon roof seam, so I did find something. Hopefully the sales center might get a demo unit and I could go experiment with sitting in it. My order is schedule for August.

The new models have an Entry mode. You can set the seat all the way down, and all the way back; and you can have the steering retract all the way in and up, if you want -- or anywhere in between. If you can't find a setting that allows you to get in and out without bumping your head, there is no car you can fit in. It will then set this position for each entry and exit automatically. I am 6' 4" and "well nourished" as my doctor puts it. No problems.
I wasn’t aware of this. Here is a guide for anyone interested.

I hope so. i mean i get i'm overweight, but even after playing with the seat for quite some time i was unable to make it better. I did fix whatever had me banging my head against the roofline/moon roof seam, so I did find something. Hopefully the sales center might get a demo unit and I could go experiment with sitting in it. My order is schedule for August.
I know this thread is a little old and no one has posted in about 8 months, but hopefully someone can shed some light on how to make a more graceful entry (and exit) to the new S's without coming away with a bruised skull....or ego.

I am kind of in the same situation. I am 5' 11" and "well nourished" (I love that term) too. I am also and "older" fa-- (nearly 79) and am not as flexible as I used to be. I have my Entry Mode set so that the seat is all the back and down, the steering is all the way up and toward me (I've tried every combination and this seems to be the best), and the suspension raised to it's highest point. I still "sometimes".....actually "most times" hit my head on the upper door jamb when getting in. Getting out only seems to be an issue IF I can't open the door completely, such as in some parking lots and in my garage when one of our other cars are in its spot and a little too close to the driver's door of the S. I think part of this may be due to the S being a bit wider than any of our other vehicles, as I don't have a problem when both of them are in the garage, but then again they also sit higher and are easier to get into.

I am open to anything other big folks have found that may help.....maybe a shoehorn, or ??

I am taller, but I find that the seat all the way down and back I do not hit my head. However, that position makes it harder to get out because you must "get up" to get out, and the car is very low anyway. I move the seat bottom up some and lean forward with the seat all the way back to clear my head. I have plenty of room in my garage, so I can open the door fully. I guess some compromise is required on the seat position, though, for us well nourished folks. :)

I am taller, but I find that the seat all the way down and back I do not hit my head. However, that position makes it harder to get out because you must "get up" to get out, and the car is very low anyway. I move the seat bottom up some and lean forward with the seat all the way back to clear my head. I have plenty of room in my garage, so I can open the door fully. I guess some compromise is required on the seat position, though, for us well nourished folks. :)
Thanks for your input. I agree, that is part of the problem. I'll have to try raising the seat a bit. The foot wells are deeper on the door side than most vehicles too and that doesn't always help either, especially when in a tight area where the door won't completely open.