Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting increasingly fewer miles per charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep my battery charge percentage to 80% (per everybody’s recommendation) but I see that translating to lower and lower mileage. In the past the 80% battery charge would equate to about 250 miles but in the last few months it gradually dropped to 225 miles. The car is pretty new (5 months old) so I’m pretty pissed off. Is there any explanation to this or am I reading something wrong here?

What does Tesla say is happening? And I wonder if your 80% is being calculated differently by the car for some reason and changing over time. Would be interesting to know the actual Kwh you have stored at 80%. Then again, the charge may need to be recalibrated, which I understand means driving it down to ten percent or so and then charging up to near 100%. Hopefully others will chime in and give better advice here as I've never had this problem with my 3.

What does Tesla say is happening? And I wonder if your 80% is being calculated differently by the car for some reason and changing over time. Would be interesting to know the actual Kwh you have stored at 80%. Then again, the charge may need to be recalibrated, which I understand means driving it down to ten percent or so and then charging up to near 100%. Hopefully others will chime in and give better advice here as I've never had this problem with my 3.
Thanks, I’ll try the recalibration method.

Charge to 90% like tesla says and ignore the so called internet “experts”
I thought everybody, including Tesla, recommends 20% and 80% as the optimum min and max charge levels. My second Tesla that I just got 3 days ago was charged to 80% by Tesla upon delivery. As a tangent, I have a problem with Tesla advertising 306 miles (100% charge for performance models) but then recommending only 80% charge which drops 50+ miles from my range. One can only assume that fully charging the battery is detrimental to the battery itself, otherwise why bother with this 80% optimum limit?

Thanks, I’ll try that.

here is a 200+ page (not posts, pages) thread on that topic in the model 3 subforum, and its the same exact topic / battery.

Here is just a few of these threads in the model Y subforum that i linked to in another thread asking this same basic question. Note that this list of threads is no where near all inclusive, this is just a fairly small representation of the number of threads on this same topic:

Perhaps one of these other threads on the topic of range might interest you (definitely not all inclusive). These were found by searching this subforum for "range". There are likely dozens more as well:

Like I said, dozens more than this as well. Perhaps one of those might work, rather than another new thread?

Reactions: Big Earl
here is a 200+ page (not posts, pages) thread on that topic in the model 3 subforum, and its the same exact topic / battery.

Here is just a few of these threads in the model Y subforum that i linked to in another thread asking this same basic question. Note that this list of threads is no where near all inclusive, this is just a fairly small representation of the number of threads on this same topic:
Thank you, very much!

I thought everybody, including Tesla, recommends 20% and 80% as the optimum min and max charge levels. My second Tesla that I just got 3 days ago was charged to 80% by Tesla upon delivery. As a tangent, I have a problem with Tesla advertising 306 miles (100% charge for performance models) but then recommending only 80% charge which drops 50+ miles from my range. One can only assume that fully charging the battery is detrimental to the battery itself, otherwise why bother with this 80% optimum limit?
here's a good (old) and somewhat enteraining video on the issue.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I keep my battery charge percentage to 80% (per everybody’s recommendation) but I see that translating to lower and lower mileage. In the past the 80% battery charge would equate to about 250 miles but in the last few months it gradually dropped to 225 miles. The car is pretty new (5 months old) so I’m pretty pissed off. Is there any explanation to this or am I reading something wrong here?
I know we're getting into the warmer months, have you been using your A/C much more frequently in the past couple months? I know in my experience so far that has made a big impact in terms of efficiency (and estimated mileage) versus not using A/C at all.

I know we're getting into the warmer months, have you been using your A/C much more frequently in the past couple months? I know in my experience so far that has made a big impact in terms of efficiency (and estimated mileage) versus not using A/C at all.

AC/heat usage has absolutely nothing to do with estimated range.

Estimated range is based solely on how much energy the car thinks the battery has available and the EPA estimated range per Kw/h.

AC/heat usage has absolutely nothing to do with estimated range.

Estimated range is based solely on how much energy the car thinks the battery has available and the EPA estimated range per Kw/h.
Total nonsense for Tesla to advertise a new MYP at over 300 mi range.. I’ve had mine for two months and just came back home (Corona CA) from a road trip to Chandler AZ. 😬
More like 230 while keeping up with traffic; 75mph speed limit in most of AZ.
Got to be careful if you want to have a little fun when someone challenges you..
kWh will drop in a hurry 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
I’m seriously thinking of buying a set of 19’s and hope that helps.

Reactions: Bossdaddy
Total nonsense for Tesla to advertise a new MYP at over 300 mi range.. I’ve had mine for two months and just came back home (Corona CA) from a road trip to Chandler AZ. 😬
More like 230 while keeping up with traffic; 75mph speed limit in most of AZ.
Got to be careful if you want to have a little fun when someone challenges you..
kWh will drop in a hurry 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
I’m seriously thinking of buying a set of 19’s and hope that helps.
Why did you buy a performance car and worry about the range?

I thought everybody, including Tesla, recommends 20% and 80% as the optimum min and max charge levels.

You will not find anything at all from tesla about "80% to 20%" as a recommendation. If you do, please post it (not a blog, not here, something from tesla officially... you wont find it. what you will find is tesla recommending charging somewhere between the charge levels in the car that say "daily" and reserve "trip" for trips. "daily" is from 50-90% and "trip" is above 90%.

Reactions: mdsco and Lucas007
Lots of threads here to address your question. You may need to recalibrate the BMS.
The BMS not calibrated can be one issue.

Basically when one Cell reaches the maximum voltage, the BMS will stop charging to protect from over charging.
However other Cells SoC might still be very low (Note: I over simplify for easy understanding)

So the 80% SoC is not very accurate, because this doesn't mean that all the Cells have been charged to 80%.
One remedy is to empty the battery to 5% and then to recharge to 100%, and repeat this few time.
There are several treads in this forum and videos on Youtube providing more information on this process.

If you charge at home, I would recommend installing a 240 V Wattmeter so you can record how much energy is used when charging the battery.
There are some losses from the inverter, so remove about 15% to get a better idea of the energy stored in the battery.
Record also the mileage between each charging, and calculate your consumption, which typically is around 250 to 300 W/mile,