Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting increasingly fewer miles per charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I have been doing and its actually working.

Thanks for the link.

I noticed that when I stopped checking the app regularly, stopped using sentry in safe areas, and didn’t plug in straight away after a trip, and let it ‘sleep’ for hours the range went up and is more stable. We get pretty much the range indicated when on long trips. I didn’t know the change in habits helps the BMS to calibrate. Everyday is a school day!

I thought everybody, including Tesla, recommends 20% and 80% as the optimum min and max charge levels. My second Tesla that I just got 3 days ago was charged to 80% by Tesla upon delivery. As a tangent, I have a problem with Tesla advertising 306 miles (100% charge for performance models) but then recommending only 80% charge which drops 50+ miles from my range. One can only assume that fully charging the battery is detrimental to the battery itself, otherwise why bother with this 80% optimum limit?
Range should be based on 65mph on level ground. That's the only time anyone cares about full range.... long trips.

No one cares how far you can drive at 45mph.

The difference is you can use nearly 100% of your gas which is wildly different that refilling to 80% of your tank when you reach 20% remaining
Why can't you fill your EV to 100% and stop when you need more charge when you are on a trip? Sure, you probably should not fill to 100% daily, but then depending upon availability of chargers, in your local driving you can charge at work, home, grocery store, or other places you frequent. It just takes adopting a different mindset.

Also, we can fill our EVs from electricity produced by many sources including the solar on our homes or offices. Personally, I just top off my car every other day or so at home with electricity from our solar. The cost to me is $0.00/kWh. And the only time I go to a gas station is to buy a soda from the mini-mart, get a carwash, wash the windshield, or use the restroom.

Reactions: Msicario
😂🤣 Same reason people prefer a MYP and never drive over 100mph or do a few 12 second quarter mile runs..now that’s pathetic. 🤦🏻‍♂️
People don't buy cars just to go for the max speed. It is the acceleration. 99.99% Tesla owners do not do 1/4 mile race either. It is the practical stop light to stop light acceleration and highway passing acceleration. Common sense is hard to come by these days. =)

Why can't you fill your EV to 100% and stop when you need more charge when you are on a trip? Sure, you probably should not fill to 100% daily, but then depending upon availability of chargers, in your local driving you can charge at work, home, grocery store, or other places you frequent. It just takes adopting a different mindset.

Also, we can fill our EVs from electricity produced by many sources including the solar on our homes or offices. Personally, I just top off my car every other day or so at home with electricity from our solar. The cost to me is $0.00/kWh. And the only time I go to a gas station is to buy a soda from the mini-mart, get a carwash, wash the windshield, or use the restroom.
Because it takes forever and a day. I love my MYLR, but long distance traveling isnt as good as ICE. Its not bad, and totally acceptable, but I'd be lying if I said it was better than an ICE for long range trips.

Because it takes forever and a day. I love my MYLR, but long distance traveling isnt as good as ICE. Its not bad, and totally acceptable, but I'd be lying if I said it was better than an ICE for long range trips.
For ICE car on road trip you can usually beat the estimated travel time by simply pressing down the gas pedal and fill up when it gets dry. It saves time but you get more exhausted over long drive (plus need to watch for cops lol)

For electric though, the faster you go the less range and the longer you charge, so you might as well just relax and drive within speed limit and maybe only over by 5-10...

Thank you.. glad someone other than me feels the same way about ICE being better on long range trips.. Just experienced that on my first road trip in my MYP.. Next time it says home 😬🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you.. glad someone other than me feels the same way about ICE being better on long range trips.. Just experienced that on my first road trip in my MYP.. Next time it says home 😬🤷🏻‍♂️
We just drove from Sacramento to Los Angeles today. It took 7 hours to drive the 400 miles in the Model Y, the same time it would’ve taken our family in a gas car. Here’s why:

ABetterRoutePlanner estimated 6hr 10min total time, including two 20-minute Supercharges. At the midway point we stopped to charge but, instead of 20 minutes, we were hungry after driving three hours and decided to eat at the adjacent steakhouse restaurant. We ate and rested for 50 minutes and came back to the Y at 91% charge — enough to skip the second Supercharger stop and head directly to our hotel.

In a gas car we would’ve stopped to eat anyways, maybe not at the exact same restaurant but we would spend the same amount of time stopped somewhere for a break and finish the trip in the same 7 hours. The difference is the Y has such effortless power for passing semis on I-5, and the gas savings paid for our meal.

If I was driving alone and on a mission then an ICE car would definitely get me from coast to coast quicker, but I travel with my family and those other humans demand breaks. Those breaks coincide perfectly with charging stops so there isn’t any loss to us in total net time. Everyone in the Y is happier and more comfortable during the trip, and more refreshed when we arrive at our destination.

Don't get me wrong, the MYLR is my road trip car and I'm about to go on another 1000mi trip in it soon. The only time it really is a bother is when the family is asleep and I can easily go another hour or 2, but the car won't.

That really depends on the person, I'm the type that likes efficient stops. get gas, bathroom, and on the road in 5min. Superchargers force me to relax for a bit which isn't at all bad, but there are times I would prefer to keep going.

Also, getting a meal while charging is not always good in the sense that the car is charged up so fast, I have to leave the restaurant to move the car so I don't get idle fees. Again, not a huge deal, but ICE is better in those corner cases

You can try the techniques the EV Cannonball drivers use. As I understand it is it charge to 100% initially, then drive fast to Supercharger. Try to get there around 10%. Charge till curve slows (60% or so). Go. Repeat.

Don't get me wrong, the MYLR is my road trip car and I'm about to go on another 1000mi trip in it soon. The only time it really is a bother is when the family is asleep and I can easily go another hour or 2, but the car won't.

That really depends on the person, I'm the type that likes efficient stops. get gas, bathroom, and on the road in 5min. Superchargers force me to relax for a bit which isn't at all bad, but there are times I would prefer to keep going.

Also, getting a meal while charging is not always good in the sense that the car is charged up so fast, I have to leave the restaurant to move the car so I don't get idle fees. Again, not a huge deal, but ICE is better in those corner cases

You can try the techniques the EV Cannonball drivers use. As I understand it is it charge to 100% initially, then drive fast to Supercharger. Try to get there around 10%. Charge till curve slows (60% or so). Go. Repeat.
That’s true, yesterday it only took 15 minutes to go from 10% to 60%, then another 15 minutes from 60% to 80%.

@Tha_Ape , if you need more time to eat at a restaurant, swing that charge limit to 100%. That will buy you another 30 minutes or so. You’ll pay for extra kW but it will be cheaper than idle fees when the stalls are more than half full.

Absolutely, around 100 mile trips are perfect, like from OC, Riverside to SD 👍🏻
Specially when there is no heavy traffic 😂🤣